Loving the design

• Dupa

I dig it, really. Some could say it looks sloppy. Some could even go as far as to say it looks like an artifact. I don't agree with them. Man, do I dig it! Thank you, thank you @wood!

The way I see it, Web 10.0 is coming! I can't wait.

Filed under: Or maybe it was Web 1.0.0? Or .10.0? I'm not sure anymore… 😕

• Dupa

Come to think of it, when I look at it now I get this feeling that it's supposed to be a window. You can look out of it and you are gonna fall down if you're not careful.

I think we were not. I think we've fallen. Deep. Down.

• Dupa

I'm not even dismissing it, like ever, I love it so much. Hope it says till the end of time, or at least till the NodeBB move.

But hey, even when we migrate, we could host a backup of this Dusvourse instance, so that we can preserve OUR WINDOW.

So we never forget where we're coming from! (And what we got ourselves into.)

• It's just a quote inside a banner.

• BINNED

I think kt_ feels like he didn't bash Discourse enough during its run so he's catching up. Give him some slack.

• Dupa

http://data.boomerang.nl/a/ard/image/officer-barbrady-works-in-china/s600/officer-barbrady.jpg

In case I'm being misunderstood: it's hideous. When I first saw it I refreshed like 3 times, cause I though that the site is borked.

• Dupa

@Onyx said:

I think kt_ feels like he didn't bash Discourse enough during its run so he's catching up. Give him some slack.

Well, I had like a year and a half less than you to do that and the move to NodeBB seems not only inevitable but also getting closer, so I have to make up for the lost time.

• Currently I suffer from a slow internet connection (something to do with living in the fenlands). I try to find something positive in the most negative of things. In this case the slowness of the link reveals many things on many websites. Take this "banner" for example:

Intuitively (to me), clicking the "X" means Yes, I have seen this and I don't want to see it again - the sort of thing that web designers accept as an "acknowledgement". Thus a signal is sent back to Server and it is seen nevermore (COOKIES not withstanding). Empirical evidence suggest that the :disco: 🐎 way is somewhat different, in that it is continual sent but not displayed. The "proof": It appears on every "new" page - new to my browser that is. And on slow loads it appears then "disappears" (for those new pages which I bothered to acknowledge it).

Just to throw a necklace to the pedants - much in the way you would cast pearls before swine, the single biggest problem I have with my slow connection is almost constant DNS lookup failures.

🍿 whilst waiting for reasons why this is not the fault of a slow connection... :trollface:

• I dismissed it on the PC but it was still showing on the phone for a few hours after.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@coldandtired said:

I dismissed it on the PC but it was still showing on the phone for a few hours after.

That's just Jefftastic! Probably reasonable though; the state will be part of the session, not the account.

• area_can

Well your system should at least have gigabit internet. It's a requirement for webscale web apps now.