:musical_score: Sound on Windows 10 (and KDE) (and wallpapers)

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

The question is: why show it to the user? Is that information useful to them in some way?

You obsess over the strangest things.

• I tried to warn you to not upgrade to 10.
    But you wouldn't believe me.
    Why didn't you believe me!?

• Java Dev

Since when is 2.1 a surround mode?

• FoxDev

One speaker to the left, one to the right, and the woofer in front.

Surround sound 😄

• ♿ (Parody)

Related: I had Windows 10 up yesterday and the sound was shit. I guess it assumed I wanted some mode that required multiple things to be plugged in but wasn't smart enough not to do that.

• @Onyx said:

I can just set up different ways of playing audio.

But it's a menu, so you can have only one port active on each audio device at once?

It's literally impossible to add both Line-Out and Digital-Out for the same sound card to your "prefer/defer" dialog?

@Onyx said:

For example, how many applications did you see with a setting like this?

Zero. I only use good applications.

Why would you expect ALSA settings to do anything at all after you've selected Pulse Audio as your sound library? Another terrible open source UI.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

But it's a menu, so you can have only one port active on each audio device at once?

It's literally impossible to add both Line-Out and Digital-Out for the same sound card to your "prefer/defer" dialog?

Yes, I used a different example of a use-case that's not common but it genuinely exists because I couldn't think of anything else at the moment. But I actually have in the meantime.

What if you're using your computer for, say, both gaming and videomaking? So, you turn on your camera connected to your computer and it switches to your nice microphone you use for that purpose without you having to plug out your gaming headset.

You'll probably say that's a stupid example. Fine. But you're literally arguing for removal of an options someone might find useful just because you don't need it. And before you say you don't want to click through 7 different lists to apply the same config, you don't have to. That's what "Apply device list to" button is for:

There, same setup for all sections. Two clicks. Now, can the rest of the people who might have a use for them have their options, or do we need to make it all just two buttons?

@blakeyrat said:

Zero. I only use good applications.

Great! Could you recommend a good SIP client to me then? The one I screenshoted is one of the best I ever used and I hate it not having a Windows version so I can't install it on majority of client computers. I usually have to fall back to Zoiper which is a steaming pile of shit, but it's the best I can find. Oh, and guess what option it has:

http://ca.jive.com/assets/zoiper-setup-5-b1a991b66fb5191ca41b3f19d29b2b12.jpg

It's like someone thought it might be useful!

@blakeyrat said:

Why would you expect ALSA settings to do anything at all after you've selected Pulse Audio as your sound library? Another terrible open source UI.

I'm not inclined to explain Linux sound system architecture to you. BTW, that horrible GUI will gray out options that don't have any effect based on other inputs. So, if it's not greyed out, it does something. If you don't know what to pick, use defaults. It's almost like every other config dialog ever!

• I don't know from Linux, but I know Pulse Audio is not ALSA.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@Onyx said:

I saw no system where those two features are combined together.

Have you tried pavucontrol? It might not be installed by default. It's the PulseAudio volume control thingie. Last I checked, it doesn't play nice with Phonon, though. (Shocker of the day: Poetteringware doesn't play nice with "anything" else.)

@blakeyrat said:

What's a "Phonon" for example?

QFIgnorance. 🚎

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

I don't know from Linux, but I know Pulse Audio is not ALSA.

It's not. ALSA is low-level and still manages raw audio. Pulse manages per-application audio mixing.

@bugmenot said:

Have you tried pavucontrol? It might not be installed by default. It's the PulseAudio volume control thingie. Last I checked, it doesn't play nice with Phonon, though. (Shocker of the day: Poetteringware doesn't play nice with "anything" else.)

It can override Phonon's settings just fine. Works OK, but it doesn't solve the UI unification issue I mentioned - I have to still start it separately, there's no way to have it just pop up out of the sound applet on KDE as it can on Cinnamon. Which was my gripe. It's one or the other when it comes to easy access, everything else involves extra fiddling.

Yes, I'd like to get rid of the damned thing, but it's too much damned work. This way it all Just Works™. I try not to think of the horrors required to keep the damned thing at bay though.

• Since we are already whining about W10 (yet again), WTF is the deal with task switch button?

No one is ever gonna click it all the way over to left, wedged next to Start/Search. There's minimal interactivity with it. You can't move it. You can't middle or right click it. You can't drag window onto it to send it to a different desktop. There IS a Win+Tab shortcut to call up this task switch view, but you can't do much there with keyboard alone.

As it stands now, it's a poor man's Alt-tab and little more (sucks even at that). Multiple desktops in W10 are a huge letdown compared even to Linux. Mac's spaces are leagues ahead (although they come with their own quirks, but real mactards seem to love them).

Here's how to fix this:

1. Merge "Reveal Desktop" and "Task Switch" buttons, placing it in the bottom right corner. One can be called on left click, the other on middle or right click.
    2. When you drag window to this icon, you get a popup, allowing you to send window to a different desktop.

There are other things that need to be done to make multi-desktops viable, but this is the low hanging fruit, to get started.

• BINNED

@cartman82 said:

There are other things that need to be done to make multi-desktops viable, but this is the low hanging fruit, to get started.

I'd rather have a shortcuts, really, Ctrl Shift + / to move windows between workspaces should work fine. But I guess dragging stuff would be a better start from the discoverability standpoint. Maybe have the task switch button pulse when you drag the window around for the first few times you use it as a hint?

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@Onyx said:

It's missing a quick way to override the list though. The best one I saw for that was on Cinnamon:

Basically a GNOME shell plugin, which can be easily installed on GNOME 3 as well:

• @Onyx said:

I'd rather have a shortcuts, really, Ctrl Shift + ← / → to move windows between workspaces should work fine.

Right now, I can Ctrl + Win to move between desktops. But to actually move windows, I have to click task switch button and then arrange it using this separate screen.

No other way that I can see.

@Onyx said:

Maybe have the task switch button pulse when you drag the window around for the first few times you use it as a hint?

That would make sense if you could actually drag a window over it to send it to a different desktop. As it is now, it would only confuse people.

• BINNED

@cartman82 said:

No other way that I can see.

Me neither, I think that's all you can do.

@cartman82 said:

That would make sense if you could actually drag a window over it to send it to a different desktop. As it is now, it would only confuse people.

Well, yes, I was building upon:

@cartman82 said:

2. When you drag window to this icon, you get a popup, allowing you to send window to a different desktop.

• I have a weird issue where OBS multiplies the recorded volume by my system volume, so I have to keep my volume at 100% at all times in order to record at the correct volume, and I just use the volume control on my headphones. So I had no idea how degraded the new volume icon really is.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 said:

You're just trolling.

Animated gif or it didn't happen.

I don't actually know how to do that, or I would.

@aliceif said:

Why would a mouse with a scrollwheel work differently?

You're asking the question backwards; the right one is "why doesn't my touchpad emulate a mouse properly?"

@Onyx said:

No, it switches the output if, for example, you plug your headphones out.

I think the point here is that "prefer/defer" is shitty wording. The standard English wording for those buttons (I assume they move the items in the list up or down) is something like "move up" and "move down". And Defer is just the wrong word, period.

@Vaire said:

I tried to warn you to not upgrade to 10.

:belt_onion:

• GifCam is an option. Last I used it was a much older version, but still works pretty well.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

I think the point here is that "prefer/defer" is shitty wording. The standard English wording for those buttons (I assume they move the items in the list up or down) is something like "move up" and "move down". And Defer is just the wrong word, period.

Eh? They make sense to me you filthy Windows user.

• LOOK UP DEFER IN A DICTIONARY you idiot.

@boomzilla said:

Must be brain damage. "Defer" means to put off or postpone. While the meaning can be understood--although frankly the down-chevron should've been enough--it's neverless not le mot juste.

• BINNED

@cartman82 said:

Since we areI'm already whining about W10 (yet again),

It's ok ... you're an equal opportunity whiner ... you whine at

• @aliceif said:

The real answer is:

MicroSoft are utter morons who don't test multitouch properly.

Except the real answer is: it depends whether the slider has focus or not, i.e. you need to click it normally first, then scrolling works with mouse and with multitouch as well. Just tested.

• 🚽 Regular

@RaceProUK said:

Double-click the icon, exactly like you did in WIndows 7

FYI: I'm on Win7. Double-clicking immediately opens and closes the volume popup. Don't know about Win8.

@cartman82 said:

Also, I can scroll wheel over the speaker icon and change volume.

Doesn't work on hover unfortunately (again, Win7 :belt_onion:). I have to click the volume button first.

@blakeyrat said:

Why is this a "prefer" type of thing?
    (Already discussed, but whatever)

Individual applications can choose to send audio to another device. Back when I had KDE, I gave up trying to have the Amarok music player use my system-wide chosen audio device for output. When I plugged my earbuds, everything else would switch just fine, but Mr. Amarok was too good for that. 💢

@FrostCat said:

I don't actually know how to do that, or I would.

WebMCam will capture to WebM, which is a better format. converting to GIF is left as an exercise to the stubborn student.

@blakeyrat said:

LOOK UP DEFER IN A DICTIONARY you idiot.
    I will, but not right now.

• FoxDev

@Zecc said:

FYI: I'm on Win7. Double-clicking immediately opens and closes the volume popup. Don't know about Win8.

Tried again on Windows 10, and it doesn't open the mixer. But since it doesn't open the mixer on Windows 7 either, @cartman82 is still complaining that something has changed when it hasn't.

@Zecc said:

Doesn't work on hover unfortunately (again, Win7 :belt_onion:). I have to click the volume button first.

Same as Windows 10.

• @RaceProUK said:

Tried again on Windows 10, and it doesn't open the mixer. But since it doesn't open the mixer on Windows 7 either, @cartman82 is still complaining that something has changed when it hasn't.

You were the one who brought up double click, not me.

I like how your arguments are so stupid, even you can't believe you made them, so you subconsciously attribute them to me.

• FoxDev

@cartman82 said:

You were the one who brought up double click, not me.

Yes I did, and I was wrong. Still doesn't change the fact that you're bitching worse than the rat about something that has worked exactly the same way it did in 2009.

In fact, come to think of it, it was the same in Vista, and in XP. So it's been the same behaviour for fifteen years, yet somehow, the number '10' after Windows magically makes it the @mikeTheLiar of volume controls.

• area_can

While we're all bitching about w10, I'd like to complain about the login screen that appears when you cold boot the computer (not the one that appears after "turning off" I.e. doing a hybrid suspend):

1. The clock shows 12h time, but my lock screen and taskbar are set to 24h.
    2. The enter key does nothing. You have to tap or click with the mouse to open the login prompt. Why would they break this from windows 8?

• FoxDev

@bb36e said:

The enter key does nothing.

Except when it does; it's a bit temperamental for some reason.

• @bb36e said:

The clock shows 12h time, but my lock screen and taskbar are set to 24h.

If you go into the Region control panel, have it set up the way you want, then go to the Administrative tab and click Copy Settings and specify that you want to copy them to Welecome Screen and System Accounts, that should change it over. I guess the theory is that if you have multiple users you don't want it emulating the peculiar settings of one user vs. the rest.

@bb36e said:

The enter key does nothing. You have to tap or click with the mouse to open the login prompt. Why would they break this from windows 8?

I usually just swipe at the screen on my machine that does have the lock thing, but mashing Enter worked.

(I disabled it on my other home PC and it doesn't show up at all on my work PC which is odd because the 7 machines ask for Ctrl Alt Delete before letting the user login\unlock)

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

LOOK UP DEFER IN A DICTIONARY you idiot.

Exactly!

@FrostCat said:

@boomzilla said:

Must be brain damage. "Defer" means to put off or postpone. While the meaning can be understood--although frankly the down-chevron should've been enough--it's neverless not le mot juste.

Yes, the meaning makes sense, like I said. That device defers to the ones preferred to it. Jeez, Drax and Anti-Drax combine for silly angry deliberate illiteracy todayyesterday.

• @Onyx said:

That's great for you. Personally, I didn't have a way of setting that stuff up on Windows last I tried, not without sound card manufacturer's software. And those are truly the height of design.
    Windows has always had the ability for different applications to output to different sound devices, with one device marked as "default". Most applications didn't take advantage of that, the notable exception being games. With Windows Vista, they added support for an additional "communications default" device, as well as autoducking and unmute-for-ring for apps that open a communications audio session. Sadly, the same apps that didn't take advantage of the old stuff didn't take advantage of the new stuff either. It also added support for hotplug (on insert, move all default audio sessions to the new device and make it the default; on remove, move all audio sessions that were on it to the old defaults). Changing the order is as easy as marking as default from worst to best.

The big advantage it has over Phonon is that it's almost as powerful (only supports two classifications of streams, but so what?) but it hides that complexity so that configuration is more intuitive. People who don't have special-case requirements can just do shit without thinking and it does what they want; people with more specialized needs have the capability to do what they want too. No craptastic sound card manufacturer's software required.

@boomzilla said:

Yes, the meaning makes sense, like I said. That device defers to the ones preferred to it.

This was pretty weak trolling for you. Perhaps it's time to get a new :belt_onion:: the fumes from your current one are clearly affecting you.

• @cartman82 said:

It's like they took every single aspect of the UI and tried to make it infuriating in some small nitpicky way, just to mess with me personally.

Welcome to life in the post-GNOME3 world.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

This was pretty weak trolling for you.

I defer to your obvious bitterness at being wrong.

@bb36e said:

The enter key does nothing. You have to tap or click with the mouse to open the login prompt. Why would they break this from windows 8?

I'm pretty sure you can use space there instead of enter, unless I'm thinking of the wrong screen.

• FoxDev

I think it's meant to respond to any key press; thing is, it's temperamental

• @Onyx said:

I'm not inclined to explain Linux sound system architecture to you.

To be fair, sound on Linux is not so much an architecture as an adventure game.

• @blakeyrat said:

I know Pulse Audio is not ALSA.

But it plays it on TV.

• BINNED

@TwelveBaud said:

Changing the order is as easy as marking as default from worst to best.

Wait... so I go to device list and start hitting "set as default" on stuff one after the other? Or do I have to plug stuff out and then mark the one I want to be used last as default, then plug the next one in, set as default, then plug the next one in...

No wonder I never figured out you can even do that!

• @Onyx said:

For example, how many applications did you see with a setting like this?

The only one I can think of for Windows is Skype, because...

@Onyx said:

So you want your sound output to be the headphones when talking to people, but you might want to use speakers connected to another sound card / output for the ringing sound so you can hear it ringing if you take your headphones off.

• @boomzilla said:

That device defers to the ones preferred to it.

Ok; that is a valid meaning of the word defer. How does that meaning translate to a button you can press? It's still gibberish in a UI context. (If it were labeled something like, "defer to below device", it would make sense, although then it's verbose and confusing.)

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

I think it's meant to respond to any key press; thing is, it's temperamental

i know it won't respond to buckybit keys, which means my usual way of getting to the login prompt by pressing Right Shift doesn't work anymore

• Nope, bugs the shit out of me.

• The hidden notification icons can be dragged out of the tray (same as 7), and they (mostly) stick around even after a reboot.

• I feel like the mixer having the lower section, with the master volume across the top would be quite intuitive.

• @Matches said:

The hidden notification icons can be dragged out of the tray (same as 7), and they (mostly) stick around even after a reboot.

Oh, good point! TIL!

@Matches said:

I feel like the mixer having the lower section, with the master volume across the top would be quite intuitive.

Or, since they are all about the touch crap these days, just drag the volume bar up and reveal the mixer underneath!