I think something went wrong with this spam message I received:

• %TO_CC_DEFAULT_HANDLER
    Subject: %SUBJECT
    Sender: "%FROM_NAME" <%FROM_EMAIL>
    Mime-Version: 1.0
    Content-Type: text/html
    Date: %CURRENT_DATE_TIME

%MESSAGE_BODY

• And some people think you can't spoof the sender header.  I'm sure that %FROM_EMAIL is a 100% valid and IANA-endorsed email address :)

• It's probably supposed to rely on JavaScript to do a Client-Side Spam.  Make sure you have a supported email client, then try reading it again.

• @Albatross said:

And some people think you can't spoof the sender header.

The From header is who the author claims to be. The Sender header is who the author's sysadmin claims the author is. The distinction is only interesting when looking at mail from large organisations.

• Reminds me of an old joke:

Hello, this is an Elbonian virus. Elbonia is a very poor country and our computers are not powerful so we can't write real viruses. Please, delete some  of your important files and forward this message to all your contacts.
    Thank you.

• @asuffield said:

@Albatross said:

And some people think you can't spoof the sender header.

The From header is who the author claims to be. The Sender header is who the author's sysadmin claims the author is. The distinction is only interesting when looking at mail from large organisations.

But most spammers are their own sysadmins, (or in many cases other people's) - so they can set both to whatever they want right.

• @zlogic said:

Reminds me of an old joke:

Hello, this is an Elbonian virus. Elbonia is a very poor country and our computers are not powerful so we can't write real viruses. Please, delete some  of your important files and forward this message to all your contacts.
    Thank you.

THat's the funniest joke I've read all day! 

• The scary thing is that MS Word can send out spam like this for you.