:fa_envelope: Google Inbox fucks up your inbox

• BINNED

So there's this "new" and exciting thing called "Google Inbox". I guess it should replace GMail or something. I heard praises of it so I went to check it out.

Meh. Standard modern "everything's a phone", "NEED MOAR WHITESPACE" webapp thing. Looks a lot like GMail client on Android actually.

There's this "mark as done" thing that is, apparently, brilliant, best thing since last week and all that. So I click it a few times, basically marking the last two months of emails as "done". Then I return to KMail and... latest email shown is from Dec 31st? :wtf: Oh FFS Google, you MOVE those emails out of inbox? Yeah, thanks, but no thanks.

But it's OK, I have IMAP, I can just move it all back, right? Right? WRONG! Unless I'm completely blind those emails are GONE as far as IMAP is concerned. Not in Archived, not in Trash, GONE.

Bang up job Google! Fortunately, I managed to move them back to inbox using the web UI, but I'm not touching that thing with a 10 meter pole any more until I absolutely have to.

Fucking hell Google, will the stupid ever stop?

• They're in the same place GMail puts emails you archive. Presumably, your email client is ignoring that folder in IMAP.

• If it's not in Inbox, Archive, or Trash, it's in "All Mail".

I've never had this issue and I am using a non-Google email client in conjunction with Inbox. Sounds like your mail client doesn't understand anything but the inbox.

Also, I am not really sure what you expected to happen when you did that? If you were 'done' with the emails why did you try to find them again in a completely different mail client?

• BINNED

@LB_ said:

Sounds like your mail client doesn't understand anything but the inbox.

Oh, fun. I did that on purpose because if you activate both "All Mail" and "Inbox" in IMAP you get all emails TWICE unless your client has some special GMail voodoo set up.

@LB_ said:

If you were 'done' with the emails why did you try to find them again in a completely different mail client?

I should be able to find them somewhere still. I said I'm done, I didn't say "delete".

• @Onyx said:

I should be able to find them somewhere still

When I first tried out Inbox and saw they didn't show in Inbox anymore I located them a put them back with the search. IIRC it is a search using "label:done" then you need to put the "inbox" label back on them.

• BINNED

Hmmm... I don't see that label in settings anywhere though, meaning I can't set "visible in IMAP" on it.

• Oh, making that label work with other things probably isn't set up. It looks to be using their label sorting thingy assuming that if you are using Inbox, that is the only way you are using GMail. My explanation was just to get things back using the normal GMail interface after Inbox crapped all over them.

• BINNED

Speaking of, I can't find IMAP settings anywhere in Inbox, so... fun.

• :belt_onion:

Mark as done is a replacement for archiving. You can remove the done emails from archive......

• @sloosecannon said:

Mark as done is a replacement for archiving

So, just Google doing change-for-the-sake-of-change again, messing with Gmail just because they can? Business as usual for them, and another round of pissed-off Google refugees for Fastmail (whose IMAP implementation is completely plain vanilla and unsurprising, for what it's worth).

Next step will be making the ugly new thing mandatory and pulling the plug on the old one without warning. Just you watch.

Eh, I like it personally. But I guess I can see why people wouldn't like it...

@flabdablet said:

and another round of pissed-off Google refugees for Fastmail

I doubt that, since Inbox isn't mandatory, or even automatic...

• BINNED

@sloosecannon said:

Mark as done is a replacement for archiving. You can remove the done emails from archive......

Let's test that!

Ok, there is me, being a dick to myself...

Yup, I'm done with that asshole. Now let me check my client...

Oh look, just some old shit I should probably delete, no matter how much I hit sync.

If it did actually use the archive folder I'd be ok with it. I wouldn't use it, but I'd be ok with it. This is just a dick move.

• Knowing Google, I wouldn't be surprised if they just discontinued POP3 and IMAP and told users to stick the desktop clients up their arse and use the web interface.

They've been slowly abandoning their "openness" philosophy over the years and they have enough users locked in their ecosystem to do whatever they want.

• I marked an email as "Done" in Inbox, and inside of GMail it only appears in All Mail. I can see literally zero difference between a message sent to archive via GMail and a message marked as done by Inbox. They go to the same place and seem to have the same properties. It seems really weird to me that they would actually be treated differently under the hood, but I wouldn't put it past Google...

• BINNED

I tested what @locallunatic said and it indeed shows up if you search for label:done. Of course, that label is not visible in GMail interface and there is no way to change anything about it in settings (it's literally not listed anywhere, be it in GMail settings or Inbox settings).

Meaning, unless you want to sync to All Mail label and either get rid of Inbox label or just suffer duplicate messages in your client, it doesn't exist as far as IMAP is concerned.

• @sloosecannon said:

Inbox isn't mandatory, or even automatic...

...yet.

:fa_tin_foil_hat:

• It would be in [Gmail]/All Mail if you hadn't blocked that folder.

• @Onyx said:

Of course, that label is not visible in GMail interface and there is no way to change anything about it in settings (it's literally not listed anywhere, be it in GMail settings or Inbox settings).

What happens if you actually create label "done" by hand using the usual web UI for label creation?

• The planet explodes.

• What happens if Google accidentally hooks up the done button to the blow up the ocean machine?

• @blakeyrat said:

The planet explodes.

That is unacceptable. It breaks my workflow.

• Filed under: spacebar heating