:mouse2: Children are a barrier to using WebKit browsers on a Mac

• @blakeyrat said:

While it's no proof of piracy, it certainly shows that Kanye looked up Xfer Records' Serum product, then searched for same on Pirate Bay.

Found a :disco:🐛 here! I didn't know what "Xfer Records' Serum" is. Normally I highlight a term I don't know, right click and select "Search Google For Xfer Records' Serum". However in the wisdom of the great :wtf: right-clicking redefines the selection to just that single word. Now I have to copy and create new tab and paste like a chump...

• kills Dumbledore

@Zemm said:

However in the wisdom of the great :wtf: right-clicking redefines the selection to just that single word

No repro in IE

• Seems like only Chrome and Safari on Mac, not Firefox. It looks like it's to do with pressing Control to access the right-click menu.

I usually leave the mouse without "secondary click" because the children have troubles not bringing up menus on everything!

Still, this is the only site that I use that has this behaviour. Everywhere else Control-click doesn't redefine the selection.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Zemm said:

right-clicking redefines the selection to just that single word

No repro in Chrome/OSX.

@Zemm said:

It looks like it's to do with pressing Control to access the right-click menu.

Ah! I can reproduce it after all. I just usually use double-finger click (:giggity:) so I didn't notice the problem.

• @dkf said:

I just usually use double-finger click (:giggity:) so I didn't notice the problem.

That brings up Mission Control with my Magic Mouse (iMac) and doesn't seem to be option to change that in Settings.

• @Zemm said:

It looks like it's to do with pressing Control to access the right-click menu.

Yeah, I probably can't reproduce that because I have an actual computer mouse. Will try alt+click on my Chromebook shortly though. EDIT: Nope, must be a Mac thing.

• @Zemm said:

However in the wisdom of the great :wtf: right-clicking redefines the selection to just that single word. Now I have to copy and create new tab and paste like a chump...

First of all, this isn't in the bugs section.

Which is good, because Discourse doesn't have the bug you found. You did something wrong.

EDIT: oh never mind, you just left out 47 details in the bug description. Note that in no universe mankind is aware if is control-clicking the same thing as right-clicking. If you mean "open a contextual menu", then say what you mean. Right-click is only incidentally connected to opening contextual menus.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@blakeyrat said:

Right-click is only incidentally connected to opening contextual menus.

Holy Shift! I totally forgot that there's a "context menu" button on my keyboard! And it totally works!
    And I'm (surprisingly) not being sarcastic at all, I'm genuinely surprised this button does this.

Granted I'm still not going to get much use of out it, but still!

• @blakeyrat said:

Note that in no universe mankind is aware if is control-clicking the same thing as right-clicking. If you mean "open a contextual menu", then say what you mean. Right-click is only incidentally connected to opening contextual menus.

Unless you spend the vast majority of your time working struggling with Blender, if you try it on just about anything that responds to a right-click on OS X (and, as I recall, Windows), a contextual menu will open. I wouldn’t call that “incidentally connected” to the phenomenon.

And it does seem to be a Discourse problem: if I try Ctrl-clicking on this forum, it changes the selection to the word I clicked, while if I try it on another site the selection remains as it was.

Edit: even more fun, it’s even a no repro on http://try.discourse.org.

• @Gurth said:

Unless you spend the vast majority of your time working struggling with Blender, if you try it on just about anything that responds to a right-click on OS X (and, as I recall, Windows), a contextual menu will open.

Uh? Ok?

@Gurth said:

I wouldn’t call that “incidentally connected” to the phenomenon.

On Windows, there's a keyboard key that opens the contextual menu of the focused widget. You can also program a trackpad or pen tablet to open a contextual menu. Or like you mentioned, control-left-click does it in OS X.

My point is there's two concepts here: opening the contextual menu, and right-clicking. They aren't the same thing. And in this case, it turned out the right-click that the OP mentioned isn't even relevant-- the bug happens when you control-left-click. There was no right-click.

• @blakeyrat said:

Uh? Ok?

Shall I risk Blakey editing his post to add bold-faced text by mentioning that right-clicking is required a lot in Blender, for reasons that are completely counter-intuitive to most new users? Yes, I shall.

@blakeyrat said:

My point is there's two concepts here: opening the contextual menu, and right-clicking.

No argument from me there.

@blakeyrat said:

They aren't the same thing.

They’re not. But they are connected in the minds of quite a lot of people, because right-clicking brings up a contextual menu in a great many situations. In fact I think I’d have to hunt around to find one in which a right-click does something other than bring up a contextual menu or nothing at all (other than in games, the aforementioned Blender, and things like system settings for which mouse button has which function).

@blakeyrat said:

And in this case, it turned out the right-click that the OP mentioned isn't even relevant-- the bug happens when you control-left-click. There was no right-click.

To veteran Mac users (those from before Apple added right-click functionality to its mice, and who didn’t use another brand of mouse), Ctrl-click is equivalent to right-clicking, because the two normally do exactly the same thing. Except here on TDWTF’s forum, it seems.

• Okay, what about this. Select some text in this post and then drag to drag the selected text somewhere (e.g. into a new tab). I always do this when I want to search for a word in a post - I select it and drag it into a new tab to initiate a Google search. Can you do it? I can't. Only on Discourse does the selection reset when you try to drag it. Any other website? It's fine.

I think we discussed this before and it has to do with the "Quote Selection" feature. Apparently turning it off fixes the bug. Not worth it for me.

• It's just continuing Discourse's tradition of overriding built-in features with its own crappy version. IIRC, on another forum I used to go to that had a highlight-quoting feature, the selection would behave like a normal text selection, and you could drag it and do whatever.

• @Gurth said:

Shall I risk Blakey editing his post to add bold-faced text by mentioning that right-clicking is required a lot in Blender, for reasons that are completely counter-intuitive to most new users? Yes, I shall.

Who gives a shit? Blender is well-known to be a shitty UI everybody hates. It doesn't matter what they do.

@Gurth said:

They’re not. But they are connected in the minds of quite a lot of people, because right-clicking brings up a contextual menu in a great many situations.

Well those people are idiots. Sorry.

Look, my beef here is that the bug report SPECIFICALLY SAYS the bug is triggered by right-clicking highlighted text. It turns out, once people figured out what the hell it was trying to say, the right mouse button wasn't even slightly involved in the process.

The only thing I'm asking here, and I think it's pretty reasonable, is don't say you right-clicked something unless you actually clicked the right button of your mouse.

@Gurth said:

To veteran Mac users (those from before Apple added right-click functionality to its mice, and who didn’t use another brand of mouse), Ctrl-click is equivalent to right-clicking, because the two normally do exactly the same thing. Except here on TDWTF’s forum, it seems.

Yes, I know that. I used a Mac for decades. I control-clicked for ages. That's not relevant to my complaint.

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Holy Shift! I totally forgot that there's a "context menu" button on my keyboard! And it totally works!And I'm (surprisingly) not being sarcastic at all, I'm genuinely surprised this button does this.

....Granted I'm still not going to get much use of out it, but still!

That's because Windows is specifically designed to be entirely usable without a mouse. Even the newer XAML UI systems specifically support tabbing around things. You just have to watch out for idiots who use mouse events to respond to things, because they don't have any idea how computers work.

• @blakeyrat said:

Look, my beef here is that the bug report SPECIFICALLY SAYS the bug is triggered by right-clicking highlighted text. It turns out, once people figured out what the hell it was trying to say, the right mouse button wasn't even slightly involved in the process.

On Macs without a two button mouse a Control-click is right-click. It should really be called "secondary click" in any case (including on windows) because you can redefine them etc. I'm just showing my right-handed bias.

I only use these forums on Mac (Chrome) and mobile (Chrome). The mobile version had its own bugs related to text selection but they appear fixed recently.

• 🚽 Regular

It's not unusual for me to select and drag text to copy it without overriding the clipboard, or to drag links to open in another tab or window. Discourse breaks that too.

(Half-hanzod by @LB_ the unmentionable)

• @blakeyrat said:

On Windows, there's a keyboard key that opens the contextual menu of the focused widget.

On some keyboards. I've noticed a trend to omit that key for whatever reason. Annoying as fuck.

• @Zemm said:

On Macs without a two button mouse a Control-click is right-click.

No. Control-click is always control-click. It's never right-click.

On Macs, control-click happens to perform the action "open contextual menu".

@Zemm said:

It should really be called "secondary click" in any case (including on windows)

Good idea:

Wow! Microsoft somehow anticipated your comment by like 20 years!

• @blakeyrat said:

On Macs, control-click happens to perform the action "open contextual menu".

Still a W.TDWTF bug. Opening a context menu shouldn't redefine the selection.

@blakeyrat said:

Wow! Microsoft somehow anticipated your comment by like 20 years!

Yes, so the term "right-click" is meaningless, so meaning control-click isn't really incorrect!

• @Zemm said:

Yes, so the term "right-click" is meaningless,

Not on a pointing device with (at least) two buttons, one on the left and one on the right.

• @blakeyrat said:

one on the left and one on the right.

Unless you swap them (refer to your own screenshot above) then "left click" would bring up the context menu.

• @LB_ said:

and it has to do with the "Quote Selection" feature. Apparently turning it off fixes the bug. Not worth it for me.

You can turn that off?! On mobile??!! The stupid box which appears over the reply button but doesn't actually work? How to do that?

• @tar said:

On mobile??!!

I've never used mobile.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/users/tar/preferences

• What are you talking about.

• Oh that's irritating. That disables quoting completely. :doing_it_wrong:. I just want to disable the stupid box which appears over the reply button and prevents you from quoting text. Nevermind, I'll just complain about it instead.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@tar said:

disables quoting completely

Does it? Does it similarly not work by highlighting text and then clicking that post's "Reply" button?

Edit: Damn, it does. :wtf: Why?!?!

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Edit: Damn, it does. :wtf: Why?!?!

Yeah, that was me, about 40 minutes ago...

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

PEDANTIC DICKWEED ALERT!

Users don't care about your nonsense. They just want to right-click!

• @boomzilla said:

@blakeyrat said:

PEDANTIC DICKWEED ALERT!

People like you are the reason why software is shit.

• @Magus said:

That's because Windows is specifically designed to be entirely usable without a mouse.

It's always interesting to see whether applications remember this or not. Or frustrating, if your mouse is glitching and you're trying to navigate without it.

On a somewhat related note I had an amusing experience with a dropdown list (for "select your age") in a browser recently. I was navigating by keys at the time so I started tapping 4 to get to 42, only it took me a little longer than I thought - it went something like 40, 43, 44, 45, 46, 47, 41, 42. That was pretty special.

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

That was pretty special.

No, it's just differently-foured.

• @ben_lubar said:

differentlystupidly-foured

<FTFReality>

• 🚽 Regular

@ben_lubar said:

differently-foured.

• @aliceif said:

@boomzilla said:
    @blakeyrat said:

PEDANTIC DICKWEED ALERT!

People like you are the reason why software is shit.

Non-technical people should be able to create apps.

@Buddy said:

By just right-clicking!

• @dkf said:

@Buddy said:

By just right-clickingcontext-menuing!

FTFY

• @Buddy said:

Other than the ability to control hardware easily, and thus see “real” things happen, I’m not really sure (after not much more than a quick browse) how this is such a big improvement on teaching kids to write code that does stuff on-screen.

• @Gurth said:

https://www.microbit.co.uk/

This little device has an awful lot of features, like 25 red LED lights that can flash messages.

Whoa! That's how you blow minds.

I guess it's marginally more useful than just buying a raw microcontroller since you get a bunch of potentially useful peripherals? Except it only has a grand total of three I/O ports aside from that, so... dunno.

Just buy a Raspberry Pi, I guess.

• The whole thing made me think of Logo, just more hardware-oriented. It’d be nice if the site had some examples of the code the kids using this thing are expected to write, but I couldn’t find any. They probably tell you all about that somewhere in those videos that sites insist on putting up these days.

• @aliceif said:

Xfer Records' Serum

Guess what! I could Google this from the convenience of the context menu obtained from Control-Click, without also losing the ability to quote selected text.

• @Zemm said:

@aliceif said:

Xfer Records' Serum

Guess what! I could Google this from the convenience of the context menu obtained from Control-Click, without also losing the ability to quote selected text.

Fucking hell, that wasn't one of my posts when we were still on Discourse.