QA/BA Interview Questions

• Anybody got good QA/BA interview questions? The only really non-crap questions I know of are "Describe in detail how to make a PB&J (spared no expense!)" and my Darwinian-version of "How do you make toast with a toaster while standing in a bathtub full of water?".

Also any suggestions for automation testing frameworks? We mostly deal with thick-client apps in every language/framework imaginable but something that can do Java/.NET/Win32 would be great. Bulk of our clicky-stuff for test is Win32/.NET so not having Java/Others-who-won't-be-named isn't that big a deal.

• BA questions are often industry specific. Say if your firm make HR software, the candidate need to know local (and possibly foreign) labour law. If your firm make stock trading software, the candidate need to know stock market operation procedures and laws about stock trading. And then you may provide one or two "difficult to decide" scene and let them show how they'd resolve the issue.

For QA, it depends on what kind of QA you want to hire (Black/White/Grey box testers, or test spec. planners) The skill required varies among the roles. The guideline for design the questions are similar - test what they should know, ask what they'd do in scenes that "what people would do varies" but matters on how good they do the job (sometimes aspects like "on what cases they seek help from others" matters too), and make sure the questions are sane.

• For a BA, try to ask questions that reveal whether the applicant is an "intrapreneur" or not. You're looking for someone who can scope, design, and sell projects/products to upper management. Look for experience as an entrepreneur.

I hate these kinds of questions, but use "Describe a time when..." questions, unless you know the applicant doesn't have experience (but is still interesting for whatever reason).

Also, ask questions related to your development methodology. But don't weigh those as much as project management questions. You want to know if the BA can make bite-sized chunks for you at just the right size. Which is easier if the BA knows your process. But there's always going to be an adjustment/ramp up period while the BA analyzes your business anyway.

• @MathNerdCNU said:

How do you make toast with a toaster while standing in a bathtub full of water?

How in the hell is that or anything even remotely similar a question for an interview?

• @MathNerdCNU said:

Describe in detail how to make a PB&J (spared no expense!)

Hire my mum to do it. Best sandwiches ever!

@MathNerdCNU said:

"How do you make toast with a toaster while standing in a bathtub full of water?".

My mum was already hired. While in the bathtub, ask her.

• BINNED

That's some weird jobs for a president / first lady to do...

• Not as weird as having to ask you helping move out of the country the $100m we have inherited. You know, seized funds by the opposition and stuff... Life's hard (since that damned dragon...)

• @Hanzo said:

@MathNerdCNU said:
    How do you make toast with a toaster while standing in a bathtub full of water?

How in the hell is that or anything even remotely similar a question for an interview?

Well, if he even answers anything other than, "I would not under any condition make toast with a toaster while standing in a bathtub full of water" then he doesn't get an "A" for the question.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@chozang said:

Well, if he even answers anything other than, "I would not under any condition make toast with a toaster while standing in a bathtub full of water" then he doesn't get an "A" for the question.

Well, honestly the answer should be, "I wouldn't do such a silly thing. But if I did, as long as I don't drop the toaster everything will be fine."

• @Polygeekery said:

@chozang said:

Well, honestly the answer should be, "I wouldn't do such a silly thing. But if I did, as long as I don't drop the toaster everything will be fine."

"Silly" would not be the honest word.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@chozang said:

"Silly" would not be the honest word.

How about "pants on head retarded"?

• kills Dumbledore

@MathNerdCNU said:

"How do you make toast with a toaster while standing in a bathtub full of water?".

Throw the toaster at the grill in such a way as to turn it on.

How would you make toast with a toaster while standing in your kitchen?

Take the toaster into a bathtub full of water, thus reducing the problem to one that's already solved