:fa_apple: Macadelic audio players

• FoxDev

@tufty said:

Do not check these boxes. Simples.

they default to being checked and at least on windows they've long been known to "randomly" recheck themselves, often when you least want them to

• @lucas said:

BTW You are a massive bellend.

I love you too.

@accalia said:

on windows they've long been known to "randomly" recheck themselves, often when you least want them to

Yeah, that happens on OSX too, if you manage to fuck up the preferences file (difficult to do) and occasionally with software updates.

• Back when I was subjected to iTunes, you didn't even have access to those settings until AFTER IT HAD ALREADY STARTED SCANNING YOUR COMPUTER FOR MUSIC AND BEEN MOVING IT AROUND.

• Love you too ...

Oh we could be a couple.

• @lucas said:

Oh we could be a couple.

you already are.

• FoxDev

@tufty said:

Yeah, that happens on OSX too, if you manage to fuck up the preferences file (difficult to do) and occasionally with software updates.

so..... not a solution, as the "randomly" i referred to meant "EVERY FUCKING TIME THE SOFTWARE UPDATES"!

• I dunno what that means ...

• @tufty said:

Apparently that should be obvious to people new to the OS and just should be learned ...

The magic just keeps on getting better.

• Can't see it mate, it is like the video requires me to go back in time to see what is said.

It is kinda like the iTunes preferences, I would have to use a time machine to discover what you think is obvious from a piece of software that isn't obvious unless you are you.

• Never mind. Father Dougal saying "I wouldn't know, Ted, ya big bollocks". On loop.

And in a weird moment of synchronicity, I find Frank Kelly pegged it today. Feck.

• It would have been kinda irrelevant. How about next time you don't assume everyone knows how to use every computer program ever? And if they know half of that, they avoid iTunes because it is shit.

• @accalia said:

FWIW back when i was running linux as my desktop OS i used MPD as my music player.

Ok, this is interesting. And it doesn't seem to be a rotting corpse like most these other OSS players.

I'll try out homebrew version + Ario player.

@Adynathos said:

While the main site of winamp is down, the program itself can be downloaded for example here (admittedly this site looks quite shady, you will have to scan for malware yourself). It even has a Mac version.

I know. They were full of promises of new versions and revival, then nothing.

Mac version is very inferior to the Windows version, it basically just has a simple playlist and that's it. The sad thing is, even that is competitive with the sad offerings I've been able to find.

@blakeyrat said:

After hearing Cartman is a dickhole who pirates all his software, I honestly hope he never finds a product that meets his needs, also that a rabid dog bites his ass. Don't be a dickhole, folks, karma will get you.

Rabid dog will forget about my ass the moment he sees all the cool pirated shit I have. We'll be watching torrented episodes from obscure 90-ies morning cartoons in no time.

• 90s? Pfft.

If it ain't Turbo Teen, it ain't shit.

• @blakeyrat said:

Since when?

FX: start-up boing of iMac G3 FX: fingers drumming on desk

I can’t say exactly when it was introduced, but:

iTunes 4 copied the files, not moved them. This is the iTunes that was shipped with OS X 10.3.something Panther.

• So you're demonstrating that it copies the files by showing us a dialog that explicitly says that it does not copy the files by default?

Good move. You win debating class.

• Try Plex/Plex Home Theater. It's not primarily a music player, but it's taken over all my household's local media duties. Including music, of course. It does not mess around with the underlying files. It has its own internal index format, and gets metadata from the internet (like live.fm). It does rely on some file naming conventions, like (.*) - S(\d\d)E(\d\d) .*\.(avi|mp4|etc) for tv show episodes.

It's a client/server application, with clients for all kinds of machines available (Plex Home Theater is meant for media center PCs, there's a Roku client, etc.) You can make playlists but I haven't bothered trying. I'm not sure how well it does with compilations -- supposedly, you can make it not break stuff apart, but I haven't bothered trying.

• What that checkbox does, you fucking genius, is switch between the following behaviours when I drag music onto iTunes:

1. It copies the file(s) into its own managed storage, and links those into its library, leaving the original file(s) untouched and unlinked to iTunes
    2. It links the original file(s) into the library, leaving me to manage their location manually.

As opposed to moving the files, which is what was being claimed.

Oh, and it came in with iTunes 3.0 (the first one to be OSX-only).

• No, I’m demonstrating that it copies files because there’s an option to copy the files to the library — as @tufty also explains, this gives the option between iTunes using the file where it found it (with the checkbox turned off) and iTunes making a copy of the file to its library directory and using the copy instead (with the box ticked).

As for why it’s turned off: I did that myself years ago because I didn’t want thousands of songs being copied to the computer from my NAS over a base-10 ethernet connection. The reason it’s not on in the screenshot is because I forgot to re-enable it to prevent you whining over details.

@blakeyrat said:

debating class

Only in America …

• You could upload your music collection to Google music for free (up to 50,000 songs) and then just use your browser, or your phone/tablet if you are on Android.

There is even an app for it on iOS.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

I used to really love Zune on Windows

Because of course you did.

• BINNED

Still no Mac version (apparently it's a WiP) but maybe you could keep an eye on Audacious. While the screenshots show only the GTK interface there's also a Winamp mode:

Provided that they don't fuck it up in the meantime, of course.

• Since I just last week did some media player hopping myself on Mac, I wanted to -- now that I've got it working reasonably well -- throw in my end result: emms. It's more of a media manager inside emacs, calling afplay to actually play the stuff.

Pros/Cons:

• It's Emacs! 😄
    • It took some hacking. For example, it was not documented anywhere that spaces in filenames broke the libtag-scanning.
    • The keyboard's media keys do not work straight off. Apparently OSX routes all media keys via iTunes to applications that claim to deal with multimedia. Emacs doesn't.

Screenshot:

(left window: Media library, right window: current playlist)

Config (so far. I might do something about the colours) :

(use-package emms-setup
      :ensure emms
      :bind (("<f8>" . emms-previous)
    	 ("<f9>" . emms-pause)
    	 ("<f10>" . emms-next)
    	 ("S-<f9>" . emms-playlist-mode-go))
      :config
      (progn
        ;; https://www.gnu.org/software/emms/manual/Using-TagLib.html
        (require 'emms-info-libtag)
        (setq emms-info-libtag-program-name "~/.emacs.d/external/emms/src/emms-print-metadata")
        (setq emms-info-functions '(emms-info-libtag))

(emms-all)

(define-emms-simple-player afplay '(file)
          (regexp-opt '(".mp3" ".m4a" ".aac"))
          "afplay")
        (setq emms-player-list `(,emms-player-afplay))

(setq emms-playlist-buffer-name "*Music*")
        (emms-mode-line 0)
        (setq emms-source-file-default-directory "~/Sync/Music")))

• Grade A Premium Asshole

You need to be placed in an asylum along with the rest of the people that use such an abomination.

• @Mikael_Svahnberg said:

It's Emacs!

That's in the Cons right ? 😉

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@TimeBandit said:

The cons or the cdrs…

• FoxDev

@dkf said:

@TimeBandit said:

The cons or the cdrs…

AAAAAAAAH! IT'S THE COMMON LISP!

RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

(according to GIS that's a fox fleeing..... Google.... what are you smoking? and are you sharing?)

• BINNED

That's obviously a tiny fox in a fly-shaped aircraft. Duh.

• BINNED

A fox in a plane?

That's a very Scarry looking fox…

• BINNED

Have a like for the pun, even though the artist made it for you.

• BINNED

@Onyx said:

even though the artist made it for you.

it's a homage! I still use a Richard Scarry book from my childhood days to read to my daughter. Those and Annie M.G. Schmidt are still appreciated.

• BINNED

@accalia said:

AAAAAAAAH! IT'S THE COMMON LISP!

RUN AWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Emacs Lisp, actually, but I'm sure that won't change your reaction, unless you actually know Emacs Lisp, in which case your reaction would most likely be:

http://favoritememes.com/_nw/45/45953680.jpg

• @Luhmann said:

are still appreciated

By you or your daughter?

• BINNED

:why_not_both?:

• @Luhmann said:

@dkf said:

That's a very Scarry looking fox…

@Luhmann said:

it's a homage! I still use a Richard Scarry book from my childhood days to read to my daughter.

E_NOT_ENOUGH_PICKLES

Richard Scarry's books were the first that I willingly tried to read, well before I went to school. I just loved looking at all the animals and vehicles. Those books have also been popular with all my brothers and my nieces, and some of them are well past the point where they would have ceased to exist without the application of glue, tape and extra cardboard reinforcement. 😄

• VLC. Always VLC. It just works.

• kills Dumbledore

When I had a mac, back in the 10.4 days, I was looking around for an iTunes alternative. Everything I found was a clone of iTunes, and when I asked for suggestions on a Mac forum, people seemed genuinely confused that I might want to use something that wasn't Apple.

this was before iTunes had got really shit, but the slide was beginning. It had a music store and rudimentary video playback but none of the other crap it's now burdened with.

• I've been busy all week, but now weekend is ahead, and I'm getting back into fiddling with my computer setup.

@Captain said:

Try Plex/Plex Home Theater. It's not primarily a music player, but it's taken over all my household's local media duties. Including music, of course. It does not mess around with the underlying files. It has its own internal index format, and gets metadata from the internet (like live.fm). It does rely on some file naming conventions, like (.) - S(\d\d)E(\d\d) ..(avi|mp4|etc) for tv show episodes.

It's a client/server application, with clients for all kinds of machines available (Plex Home Theater is meant for media center PCs, there's a Roku client, etc.) You can make playlists but I haven't bothered trying. I'm not sure how well it does with compilations -- supposedly, you can make it not break stuff apart, but I haven't bothered trying.

I know all about Plex, my parents played around it.

For me, it's too TV centric and opinionated in all the wrong ways. Doesn't really fit my style.

Even my parents, with their typical TV centric entertainment, found it disappointing. Wanted to watch tennis feeds, but found a bunch of broken crap. Wanted to watch movies, streams were all dead. I guess they'd have had better luck if they stuck to local media. Either way, I think they just settled for whatever crap the cable company is serving them.

• @accalia said:

FWIW back when i was running linux as my desktop OS i used MPD as my music player.

It's a system daemon so it survives playing even when i drop out of X, lets me arrange my music library however i want and preserves the folder structure as semantic data about the music.

Now THIS is interesting. I'm playing around with it right now, and so far, I'm... intrigued.

It has all the hallmarks of a crappy OSS project - obtuse install and configuration, ugly broken sites, patchwork of abandoned clients and side projects.

Also, the way it expects you to set up a single media directory doesn't really mesh with just grabbing and playing some files, which is what I often want to do.

But on the major upside, I like all the cool feature that pure client/server architecture brings. I like how it is scriptable. I like how I can install an app on my phone and control music on my PC. I like how I might be able to set up some kind of streaming solution based on this (maybe... trying out ampache ATM).

I'll definitely play with this some more. Has a lot of potential, I'm just not sure I'll be able to give up drag & play convenience of a standard player.

Will post more later.

• @TimeBandit said:

You could upload your music collection to Google music for free (up to 50,000 songs) and then just use your browser, or your phone/tablet if you are on Android.

There is even an app for it on iOS.

I don't trust google and cloud crap. That's nice as an extra, but I want my main collection where I can fucking see it.

@Onyx said:

Still no Mac version (apparently it's a WiP) but maybe you could keep an eye on Audacious. While the screenshots show only the GTK interface there's also a Winamp mode:

It looks like foobar on the official screenshots. With less options, maybe.

@Mikael_Svahnberg said:

Since I just last week did some media player hopping myself on Mac, I wanted to -- now that I've got it working reasonably well -- throw in my end result: emms. It's more of a media manager inside emacs, calling afplay to actually play the stuff.

That sounds like the worst of ALL possible worlds in multiverse.

• Open source onboarding:

Step 1: chase away anyone but the elite nerd users
    Step 2: admit to long standing known issues
    Step 3: perfect opportunity to say hello to your friends

• Notification Spam Recipient

@cartman82 said:

stuck to local media

This. I don't use any of the "channels" because they're quite buggy at best.

@cartman82 said:

Step 3: perfect opportunity to say hello to your friends
    Greetz to Hackfia!

• I'm more mind-boggled that daemons/services in the Unix-y-whatever world are allowed to play audio. Then again, I've never tried it on Windows-- I assume it wouldn't work (and how would the poor mixer deal with it?) but who knows.

EDIT: apparently it's possible if you open the audio device in exclusive mode and using one particular library to do it. Ordinarily, Windows won't bother to create any audio devices accessible to Services. Because why would it.

Also this guy:

For the record, playing sounds from a service is a perfectly legitimate thing to do in an embedded setting.

Dafuq? No, no it's not. Is he thinking about like a Amazon Echo-type device? I can't even imagine what he's thinking.

There's another guy who says a Service might need sound hardware to implement something like an encoding server, but AFAIK while you can have the sound hardware do effects on the audio, there's no way to read the resulting audio back into your application (not like using a GPU to mine bitcoins or something.) I could be wrong I suppose.

All this said, I'd be interested in hearing how the OS X audio mixer deals with audio coming from the daemon. It seems like a choice between "privilege escalation" and "it just don't work, you be fucked".

• This thread has made nostalgic about the good old days when I would just load the Sonique media player and fiddle with its sleek, three-sized skins. Itunes is already WTF enough, but the Sony media player that was supposed to be used with its CD or MD walkmans takes the cake. Never got to see ATRAC3 files in the wild.

• Java Dev

@blakeyrat said:

I'm more mind-boggled that daemons/services in the Unix-y-whatever world are allowed to play audio. Then again, I've never tried it on Windows-- I assume it wouldn't work (and how would the poor mixer deal with it?) but who knows.

Linux, at least from the kernel level, doesn't really distinguish between services and applications. And the (software) mixer is probably just a daemon that has the audio device open in exclusive mode.

• @cartman82 said:

Also, the way it expects you to set up a single media directory doesn't really mesh with just grabbing and playing some files, which is what I often want to do.

I mostly just use itunes on my mac, but whenever I want to just play a single file without futzing around with media libraries or whatever, I do a three-finger-tap in the Finder to open a preview window that plays the file and lets me do other stuff, as long as I don't highlight any other files. It doesn't respond to media keys, unfortunately, but it works instantly and I can (for instance) type out this post while listening to something.

Wikipedia tells me it's called Quick Look and can be invoked in several other ways than the three-finger-tap.

• FoxDev

@PleegWat said:

Linux, at least from the kernel level, doesn't really distinguish between services and applications.

correct, and i assume the same is true of OSX as it is heavily derived from Linux (well BSD if memory serves, but that's close enough for this discussion)

@PleegWat said:

And the (software) mixer is probably just a daemon that has the audio device open in exclusive mode.
    the most popular low level mixers (OSS and ALSA) operate this way. most of the other sound mixers i'm aware of really just wrap one or the other as a higher level service to do fancier things than are supported at the lower level.

so for linux at least, and i assume for OSX it's totally possible to play audio from a service, and i can thing of reasons why you might want to do it from Windows as well.... say a headless box that's running a tannoy system maybe?

• @accalia said:

OSX as it is heavily derived from Linux (well BSD if memory serves, but that's close enough for this discussion)

That’s like saying a VW is derived from a Ford because both are cars.