Copy&Paste from non-functioning old code to accommodate 50 pages long requirements in 1 and a half week



  • Continuing the discussion from TAB_ANAL_RET_TEST people! :fa_spoon: :point_down: :fist::

    @Ascendant said:

    The plan is to apply new requirements to an existing project by creating a new SVN repository and copy/paste the old code and modifying it while using the old database tables.

    We've got a 50 pages long slide show of requirements and the deadline is 4th of March; and they intend to do the above.

    I'm told to simply copy and paste from the old code which is barely functioning into a new project in a separate SVN repository.

    When I copy some part of html I need, things don't work, of course, I'm missing the javascript code that adds behaviour to the static content but how do I know which bit is required when and where but read all the way through the code?

    And the team has one and a half week to go.

    The two repositories are used for the same project.
    The client just wanted to remodel the website a little.

    The above approach was the idea of this team manager/lead-senior engineer.

    Is this normal?

    Do you copy and paste from an old half-functioning project into a new repo to accommodate some remodeling of the same web application/website?


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @Ascendant said:

    Is this normal?

    Do you copy and paste from an old half-functioning project into a new repo to accommodate some remodeling of the same web application/website?


    I would say, no, unless it was an actual remodel that required a complete rewrite, and in that case why copy code at all?



  • @Tsaukpaetra said:

    unless it was an actual remodel that required a complete rewrite, and in that case why copy code at all?

    Exactly.

    They created a whole new repository yet they copy and paste from the old code. Why?!!??!?



  • Ok I think you've posted here long enough to know that when you ask "is this normal?" the answer is always: "no, it's an abomination."



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Ok I think you've posted here long enough to know that when you ask "is this normal?" the answer is always: "no, it's an abomination."

    Yeah but I just want to make sure that I'm not crazy or my standards are insanely high.
    I simply don't know what the normal process of development is any more.

    Also, where is the fun for the spectators?



  • @Ascendant said:

    Do you copy and paste from an old half-functioning project into a new repo to accommodate some remodeling of the same web application/website?

    This happens where I work all the time. To add to the WTF, our projects are also scattered between CVS, Mercurial, and ZFSC, depending on who started the project. (At least the one guy that used SVN moved all of his code to Mercurial).

    @Ascendant said:

    Is this normal?

    No, don't do what we do.



  • @Ascendant said:

    Yeah but I just want to make sure that I'm not crazy or my standards are insanely high.

    I think your standards are just high for the WTF Inc. where you work.



  • @Ascendant said:

    Yeah but I just want to make sure that I'm not crazy or my standards are insanely high.

    Don't worry, if someone here thinks that you are TRWTF (and there's usually at least one), they'll tell you.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.