Where's the outrage?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Arantor said:

Not to mention that anyone doing something new and shiny and sexy is probably showing off and it's a shitshow underneath.

I've been to sites that, before the css loads, you can see the icons before they've been formatted.

They're literally 500px by 500px. The css resizes them to 16px by 16px.

Sometimes the css doesn't load (or I have the CDN blocked), so the first 10,000px of the screen are unpositioned, unstyled 500px icons.

I fucking hate web developers.

• @Arantor said:

The barrier to entry is the lowest of the computer programming disciplines.

Not where I bloody well live it isn't.

Most job adverts are a laundry list of 3 letter acronyms from various parts of the MS tech stack wanting a fucking github profile, then a timed technical test, 2 technical references and all of this for a 3 month contract paying at the lower end of the spectrum.

Bonus fucking points if they expect you to be able to jump on a Linux box as well.

Yes it might be the easiest to get into at a Junior level because you can just know fuck all and pick it up but those jobs are paying any better than a Tesco (read Walmart if you are from across the pond) Manager salary.

• Java Dev

@Lorne_Kates said:

They're literally 500px by 500px. The css resizes them to 16px by 16px.

But it has to look pretty on a 1kdpi ultraretina screen!

• Since evreything about the ribbon, including the shortcuts in the title bar, is configurable (complete with custom sections), I imagine that if you, as the administrator, have too many problems with users being unable to find this, you could apply some kind of settings change to all users, putting it in a place you like better. Maybe not. I don't really know.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@flabdablet said:

A menu labelled Edit with an entry labelled Undo? That's teachable. A menu labelled Help? That's teachable. Hell, it's even discoverable. Little hieroglyphics that change position and style on every release? Fuggedaboudit.

You know you can take screenshots, apply a circle around the icon you want them to click on, and clip to the ribbon, right?

• @Arantor said:

[quote="Lorne_Kates, post:241, topic:54759, full:true]

I try not to hate web developers, but then I use literally any site on the Internet and-- well, there's the hate boiling up again.

I thought you liked me 😢

Seriously though, most of what's out there on the net is badly written and people like some of the people I've worked with as the prime reason; the barrier to entry is the lowest of the computer programming disciplines. Not to mention that anyone doing something new and shiny and sexy is probably showing off and it's a shitshow underneath.

Just remember, if you think the IT industry is a shitshow in general, the web dev end really is the bottom of the pile where the oldest, smelliest shit ends up.
    [/quote]

I know that the Java backend of my current app looks like it was written in the late 90s by the previous developers. And of course, there's no budget to rewrite it to look like something sane.

You know, until the often delayed "fix admin page responsiveness" task comes up which the other developer and I plan to use as an excuse to fix it.

• @NTW said:

How do your users manage to drive to work in the morning?

Same way every day, I expect.

• Considered Harmful

@flabdablet said:

@NTW said:
    How do your users manage to drive to work in the morning?

Same way every day, I expect.

https://youtu.be/GcGcW5YfZOM?t=9m22s
    https://youtu.be/Tqa7B8pAtVk

• Themroc is a GREAT film and Michel Piccoli is just MAGNIFICENT in it.

Anybody who has not already seen it needs to stop whatever they're doing and download it IMMEDIATELY.

• Considered Harmful

@flabdablet said:

Themroc is a GREAT film and Michel Piccoli is just MAGNIFICENT in it.

Anybody who has not already seen it needs to stop whatever they're doing and download it IMMEDIATELY.

Indeed. I noticed they even put trigger warnings on it for TV :D

• You will never look at a spit roast quite the same way again, that's for sure :-)

• Oh man, it just occurred to me, is that the movie Attack of the Killer Tomatos is making fun of when the guy is "infiltrating" the tomatos and camping out with them?

• It's been a very long while since I saw AoTKT and I can't remember that scene.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD1UyQHXaO4
    Got a time reference?

• It might have been in the sequel. It's been ages.

And no, I don't.

Here's what I know:

• A guy is dressed like a tomato, infiltrating their army
    • Him and a bunch of tomatos are camped around a fire and there's some meat roasting on a spit
    • A tomato asks him what cut he wants, and he says he wants the breast
    • It turns out they were roasting a human on the spit
    • I laughed so hard I had to stop the movie for like 45 minutes until I could get it under control, goddamned that was funny shit

This all happened when I was like 14 and watching Troma movies was all counter-culture and something that'd piss your parents off, so everybody did it. They didn't have YouTubes or Netflixes then, you had to smuggle VHS tapes around.

• This will be the scene:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD1UyQHXaO4&t=52m30s
    Nothing like Themroc.

• @blakeyrat said:

This all happened when I was like 14 and watching Troma movies was all counter-culture and something that'd piss your parents off, so everybody did it.

I got my Troma fixes at the local art-house cinema.

In 1987, the Valhalla relocated from Richmond to High Street, Westgarth after the sale of their original venue (it was later demolished). With the characteristic offbeat nature of the cinema, the last film screened at the old premises was the first half of "The Blues Brothers", with the second half being screened at the new venue after intermission. This caused a traffic jam in Richmond at 1am.

My little Leyland Mini (much like this one)

was part of that traffic jam, with six people packed inside.

What Wikipedia fails to mention here is that by the time of the venue shift it had become Valhalla tradition for the Blues Brothers to be one of those audience participation films. Lots of cosplay. I couldn't be arsed getting a proper costume together, so I was one of the background guys wearing a white towel in the steam room scene... Good times.

• @flabdablet said:

Nothing like Themroc.

Well you reminded me of it. So there. It's my thread I'm going to post WHATEVER THE FUCK I WANT.

• This post is deleted!

• I have no idea what you're talking about, why you illustrated it with a picture of a disconnected YouTube video, or why I should care.

• Late, but couldn't resist ...

@Weng said:

JavaScript. Git. Web apps. Markdown. BbScript. SQL. HTTP. Fucking IPv4. SCSI. USB. QWERTY. 3.5mm audio jacks.

@Weng said:

Agile development methodologies. The word Scrum. Open plan offices.
    MicroUSB charging cables. Touchscreens. Mice. Sexist wages. Image Memes.
    YouTube. Email.

@Weng said:

DevOps. Continuous Delivery. Regimented and scheduled sprints.
    Passwords. Password management. Biometrics. Smart cards. Single sign on.
    Oauth. Security questions. Wish it was two-factor authentication.
    Two-factor authentication. Captchas.

@Weng said:

Twitter ... SMS. MMS. The SF Bay area. India. Eastern Europe. Web conferencing.
    Telepresence. Telework. VoIP. Bluetooth. PDF. JPEG. MPEG. H264. LPR.
    Spreadsheets.

🎵 We didn't start the fire. 🎵
    🎵 It was always burning 🎵
    🎵Since the world's been turning. 🎵

• And it's still an utter shitshow.

• @jaming said:

http://www.hanselman.com/blog/EverythingsBrokenAndNobodysUpset.aspx

Thank You! I was racking my brain trying to remember who wrote that. Of course it was Hanselman.

Also, This.

Somewhere there's a database programmer surrounded by empty Mountain Dew bottles whose husband thinks she's dead. And if these people stop, the world burns. Most people don't even know what sysadmins do, but trust me, if they all took a lunch break at the same time they wouldn't make it to the deli before you ran out of bullets protecting your canned goods from roving bands of mutants.

• Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.

[quote=Hanselman]I work for Microsoft, have my personal life in Google, use Apple devices to access it and it all sucks.[/quote]

• @blakeyrat said:

They created/migrated to Git due to one of the Linux developers being an asshole and ruining their relationship with the vendor who was providing their last source control system. If anything, Git's a surrender, an admission that Linus can't control his asshole developers and stop them from being assholes.

So I'm way late on this because reasons, but holy shit do you have this wrong.

The arsehole was the BitKeeper guy, Larry whatever I don't remember. He rescinded the free licence the kernel developers were using because he had a hissy fit.

It could be argued that Linus was a fool to use it in the first place because closed-source and because it was never going to last forever. But then it worked for them for a few years so there's value there.

The kernel developer you're talking about is Andrew Tridgell, who is possibly the least arseholish of all the kernel developers. Larry BitKeeper guy's hissy fit was because Tridge had the audacity to type "help" after connecting to a BitKeeper repository. In Larry's eyes that's "hacking" because Larry isn't really connected with reality.

Larry and his disconnection from reality ruined the relationship with the kernel developers.

• @another_sam said:

Tridge had the audacity to type "help" after connecting to a BitKeeper repository.

Tridgell particularly sought to reject claims that he had somehow violated the proprietary BitKeeper code by reverse-engineering its metadata formats for use in an open source client, thus leading BitKeeper to revoke the Linux development community's licence.

To cheers from the 500-strong audience, Tridgell demonstrated how information available from BitKeeper's own online help made gaining access to that information a trivial task.

"We have now, in a single line of shell, implemented a BitKeeper client," he said.

Hmm

• @Buddy said:

500-strong audience

I was one of those 500, if it's the Linux.conf.au talk that's being written about. Yes, I used to be the kind of nerd that took holiday leave from work to go to Linux conferences. I may still be that kind of nerd, although I haven't been to that conference in about ten years.

• BINNED

@ntw said in Where's the outrage?:

@blakeyrat said:

Hm, I'll have to play with that for awhile. Haven't heard of it before.

It's still very early and only like hypercard in the sense of having "cards" and "embedding" various things into it. No flow control (yet). But maybe someday?

They also have PowerApps.

And Project Siena

So at least they're trying.

How is PowerApps different from the HyperCards? Has anyone here used it?