Mafia IV: Reverse Mafia - GM Thread

• mod

The GM Thread will be jeffed here momentarily.is here!

• Impossible Mission Players - A

Looks interesting to me. All the power roles though :D Polyhedral gods incoming with role madness? :P

• mod

When you consider that there are 19 players so far, there aren't really that many roles. All the setup on the traitor does make it seem like there's a lot, though.

• mod

Thinking about it, there are currently two specific things that I would like some feedback from you two on:

1. The note on the police aligned Blocker.
    @Setup Doc said:

Bouncer (Blocker) (consider adding Strongman if chooses to perform faction action instead of block)

The idea I had there was that it would give the police a way around the mafia's rolestopper, but at the cost of a blocker for the night.

2. I was contemplating giving investigative roles a Night 0 to work with, but I'm not sure that's necessary with the flavor I've already provided. Part of me feels that the flavor already puts some Day 1 suspicion on whoever ends up in the Former Police Chief role.

• mod

We also have some flavor-only characters to name:

• Crime Boss Head of the mafia.
    • Police Briber Responsible for bribing and manipulating the police force.
    • Current Police Chief Just took over the position. Put together the undercover task force that lead to the current scenario.
    • Random mafiosos Just some named members of the family.

To fill these roles, I'd like to pull from Club Ded, which gives us:

And yes, you are welcome to ask to be flavor characters if you'd like. So far, I was thinking that @ben_lubar would make a good briber.

• mod

Added a post to the Early Access thread asking if there are any wishes we should keep in mind for this last bit.

https://what.thedailywtf.com/t/mafia-iv-reverse-mafia-club-ded-early-access/54188/13?u=abarker

• mod

I've updated the link sharing on the setup document for now so that the two of you can add comments.

• SockDev

@abarker said:

If i'm used can my death be extra gory? :-)

• mod

@accalia said:

death

Have you read the setup document?

Though maybe there should be a scene with a little bit of infighting before they get everything under "control" …

• SockDev

@abarker said:

Have you read the setup document?

s/used/die/

also now i have. left a comment on it for you.

• mod

Yeah, I probably ought to pull that part out of the instructions.

Also, I've added a possible alternate to the Police Janitor. Considering using it as a third party to muddy the waters.

• mod

@abarker said:

maybe there should be a scene with a little bit of infighting before they get everything under "control"

Yeah …

@boomzilla said:

it was fun seeing how I died before.

@loopback0 said:

Yeah, that.

@Jaloopa said:

I'm up for flavour death

@Placeholder said:

I'm up for a flavored death. The more absurd, the better.

So, any ideas for a scene to work in some deaths?

Just wanted to throw in - work has been a bit gonzo, I'll poke in Saturday/Sunday and respond to the various things.

@abarker said:

So, any ideas for a scene to work in some deaths?

My first impression was "oh, just have an initial raid shootout wind up killing a bunch of people", but no matter how many times I re-read the setup document, I can't come up with a justification for actually doing that -- the setup doesn't really seem that it would support that. Uhm, what about some sort of infighting & back-biting & finger pointing that started in the Mafia with the launch of Op QS, and some deaths happened before the HA regained control and the BOSS's plan was put into place?

I assume the double voter is going to show both votes active on list-votes? Or is it going to show the last one, and the other one as struck through (but still counting)? I'm not convinced it'd actually be a positive power role with this community, but hey, that's why I'm just the guy sitting here making snarky comments and not the GM :smiley:

• SockDev

@izzion said:

My first impression was "oh, just have an initial raid shootout wind up killing a bunch of people", but no matter how many times I re-read the setup document, I can't come up with a justification for actually doing that -- the setup doesn't really seem that it would support tha

that's more or less where i was at too with this one. @abarker set it up to be fairly bloodless...

well relatively so anyway.

• mod

@izzion said:

Uhm, what about some sort of infighting & back-biting & finger pointing that started in the Mafia with the launch of Op QS, and some deaths happened before the HA regained control and the BOSS's plan was put into place?

@accalia said:

that's more or less where i was at too with this one. @abarker set it up to be fairly bloodless...

That's about all I can come up with as well. With the flavor I thought up, it was difficult to work in a whole lot of deaths. Guess we'll have to go with the panicked in-fighting.

@izzion said:

I assume the double voter is going to show both votes active on list-votes? Or is it going to show the last one, and the other one as struck through (but still counting)? I'm not convinced it'd actually be a positive power role with this community, but hey, that's why I'm just the guy sitting here making snarky comments and not the GM :smiley:

It should show with both votes active, if they choose to use both. As for how it will count, I'm not sure how it will play out in this community. That's part of why I wanted to give it a try.

Speaking of which, I need to check with the MafiaBot team and see how this is going ...

• mod

@abarker said:

That's about all I can come up with as well. With the flavor I thought up, it was difficult to work in a whole lot of deaths. Guess we'll have to go with the panicked in-fighting.

Ok, made some changes to the setup flavor. Let me know what you think. @accalia, given your earlier request, I'm thinking about making you {{M7}}. Would that work for you?

• SockDev

@abarker said:

{{M7}}

hmm... yeah, that'll work :smiley:

• mod

@abarker said:

Speaking of which, I need to check with the MafiaBot team and see how this is going ...

They're behind schedule. May need to leave the Double Voter out. Loved and Hated are ready. Ideas for something we could give the HA if Double Voter isn't ready in time?

• mod

@accalia said:

@abarker said:
    {{M7}}

hmm... yeah, that'll work :smiley:

Done. ;)

From a flavor perspective, X-Shot Governor would seem to make sense, but that's probably even more negative to town than the double-voter might be.

What about a Vig? Or Loved or X-Shot Commuter from a power standpoint... I could see the Vig or Loved from a RP standpoint but the Commuter doesn't seem to fit.

• mod

@izzion said:

Vig? Or Loved

I think those fit the flavor best. Let's keep those in mind for backup.

• mod

@abarker said:

Ok, so we also have this to deal with. Right now the characters available include:

• Crime Boss
    • Police Briber
    • Police Chief (new)
    • M3
    • M4
    • M5
    • M6

I have assigned three roles so far:

Of the volunteers I have received, the following asked for deaths:

In addition, we have two other volunteers who have issued no specific requests:

At this point, I think that @TwelveBaud and @RaceProUK should be (in no particular order) the Police Chief and the Crime Boss. The other three volunteers can be assigned among M3-M5. That leaves a need for a Briber and someone to fill M6. Thoughts?

I'm always down with being the shady guy passing out the Buxx.

• mod

You got it.

• SockDev

@abarker said:

They're behind schedule.

they might surprise you.

:wink-wink:

• mod

Based on the action I'm seeing in the PM I have with them, I would not be surprised if they finish on time. But I'd like to be prepared.

I've started putting together a spreadsheet to help with figuring out balance based on the proposed roles. Link is below:

­ https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1pCXl4QcWcppPJ5v3VnSZxLukcj0Upoyu5FstLdR27jE/edit?usp=sharing

• mod

Ok, looking at the sheet, I think that the Mafia has a good balance. I think that the Janitor doesn't provide the Police anything, but it would provide some good confusion to have the Hypnotist Poisoner in the mix. Thoughts?

Also, I've noted the possibility for the Police Roleblocker to be a strongman if he performs the faction arrest instead of blocking someone. Any thoughts on that?

• mod

@abarker said:

At this point, I think that @TwelveBaud and @RaceProUK should be (in no particular order) the Police Chief and the Crime Boss.

I'm going to make @TwelveBaud the Police Chief and @RaceProUK the Crime Boss.

EDIT: All flavor-only characters have been assigned.

• mod

@abarker said:

Ok, looking at the sheet, I think that the Mafia has a good balance. I think that the Janitor doesn't provide the Police anything, but it would provide some good confusion to have the Hypnotist Poisoner in the mix. Thoughts?

Looking at this some more, I'm somewhat concerned that the CSI/Janitor could prove to be more of a liability than anything to the Police. Their night action would basically double the odds that the Mafia could track them to the night target. I think it would be better to go with the Hypnotist Poisoner. On the other hand, the Mafia have 3 active investigators. I think that if the CSI gets dropped, the Dirty Cop gets dropped as well.

• mod

As @accalia is well aware already: Double Voting is good to go. despite their reservations in what they told me yesterday, @Yamikuronue and @Dreikin really pulled it together quite quickly, with only a few minor bugs. In my opinion, even if no further progress is made before the game starts, there is no reason to not use the Double Voter.

• mod

Ok, as of now, I have two outstanding questions. Apparently, you two aren't confident enough in your opinions to offer free-form answers, so let's try polls.

###Question 1
    Should the Police Role Blocker be permitted to act as a Strongman on nights that they choose to perform the nightly Police Activity? If so, they would not be permitted to act as a Strongman and a Role Blocker in the same night

[poll name="PRB_Strongman"]

• Yes
    • No
      [/poll]

###Question 2
    Should the Police CSI/Janitor be abandoned? If so, should the 3rd Party Hypnotist Poinsoner be used? Keep in mind that the use of one of these necessitates the use of the Coroner and the use of neither means that the Coroner serves no purpose.

[poll name="Janitors"]

• Use the Police CSI/Janitor
    • Use the 3rd Party Hypnotist Poisoner
    • Don't use either
      [/poll]

Depending on the results of the second poll, there may be a third.

I may cast my vote or reserve it as a tie breaker. I'm not telling! :P

The primary reason I'm not spouting off free form on the power roles is that I'm kind of ambivalent toward setups with lots of power. My internal jury is kind of on the side of "there's been too much power", but my head understands that mountain setups are probably significantly boring in a forum Mafia setting, so I just don't have much to say :stuck_out_tongue:

• mod

Well that's pretty definitive:

I'll adjust the docs accordingly.

• SockDev

@abarker said:

Well that's pretty definitive:

• mod

Ok, take a look at the spreadsheet and let me know what you guys think about the balance. I think it looks pretty good, though I might be persuaded to make a a change or two for the Mafia.

• SockDev

it looks good to me.

but then i'm no expert yet.

• mod

I don't think any of us are ;)

I'm just asking for gut feelings right now.

• mod

@abarker said:

Ok, take a look at the spreadsheet and let me know what you guys think about the balance. I think it looks pretty good, though I might be persuaded to make a a change or two for the Mafia.

Thinking about it, Strongmen are supposed o bypass all protective roles. Should we add in a doctor for the mafia (yes, I plan on the police arrests result in accidental deaths if there is a doctor), or would that be too much?

[poll]

• Doctor
    • Nah, that's overkill
      [/poll]

• SockDev

@abarker said:

Strongmen are supposed o bypass all protective roles. Should we add in a doctor for the mafia

hmm touch question.

let me consult the oracle

"Not fighting crime so much as solving problems with violence"

thanks Dr. McNinja... now which one is that endorsing?

• mod

Ok, time to do assignments. Here are the players:

1. @Yamikuronue

Since @Yamikuronue is aware of my request for the Double Voter, I think we almost need to make her the Heir Apparent so she doesn't have any unfair knowledge about the setup. Any objections or thoughts on that assignment?

Are there any other players you'd like to see play a particular role, or shall we just assign the remaining positions randomly?

• SockDev

@abarker said:

Since @Yamikuronue is aware of my request for the Double Voter, I think we almost need to make her the Heir Apparent so she doesn't have any unfair knowledge about the setup. Any objections or thoughts on that assignment?
    i'm thinking that's probably a :cow: point because that power's not going to remain secret for too long, and if she's not heir apparent then she won't know who the double voter is. The presence of the role may be something of extra knowledge, but i don't see how it can be very useful, particularly when it's a role that tends to be public very fast.

I say let the polyhedral gods decide all the roles!

• mod

@accalia said:

i'm thinking that's probably a :cow: point because that power's not going to remain secret for too long, and if she's not heir apparent then she won't know who the double voter is. The presence of the role may be something of extra knowledge, but i don't see how it can be very useful, particularly when it's a role that tends to be public very fast.

You make a good point …

@accalia said:

I say let the polyhedral gods decide all the roles!

So it shall be! What was the syntax for @sockbot's dice command?

• SockDev

@abarker said:

What was the syntax for @sockbot's dice command?

@sockbot roll 1d20

• SockDev

though i forget if dicemaster is enabled for him.....

• Anonymizied reply not sent; quote must specify both topic and post.

<!-- SockBot/2.11.10 (Cheery Chiffon; owner:accalia; user:sockbot) 2016-02-03T15:51:28.764Z -->

• SockDev

ah.... right. that's going to be annoying fast.

• Anonymizied reply not sent; quote must specify both topic and post.

<!-- SockBot/2.11.10 (Cheery Chiffon; owner:accalia; user:sockbot) 2016-02-03T15:52:03.705Z -->

• SockDev

@sockbot mute

• SockDev

muted sockbot.... sorry about that.

dicemaster is enabled but anonymizer breaks PM communication.

I need to fix that somehow

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.