How shitty is your breakroom?

• I'm one of those "doesn't have a break room" type employees, only kitchenettes on every floor. At least those are kept clean and have sinks.

Filed under: One of the projects has a "collaboration area" with couches and things though

• @Ascendant said:

No cable TV sadly??? WTF you can watch TV at work???

Ok, given I work in Seattle, which is paradise, it's pretty normal to have a TV in the breakroom and keep it tuned to whatever big event is going on currently. For example, if the Olympics are happening, it's on in the breakroom. (Or, being Seattle, soccer matches and bicycle races.) If nothing like that's going on, it's generally off.

@Ascendant said:

Play Nintendo??

Nobody plays it, it's just there. The first company I worked for had Halo 2, Call of Duty 2, Rainbow 6 Vegas and Rock Band games going on constantly during lunches. I brought in all those dumb Burger King discount games and we played those.

The problem with the TV in a conference room is you can't really use it during work hours because there's always meetings going on, or meetings next door.

@Ascendant said:

I think the break room I have access to is quite normal in Korea.

Remember, I also worked at the "how to demoralize employees" thread company.

Tech companies here have to keep up morale because they're always competing with Amazon, Microsoft and Nintendo of America. And Microsoft has all the stuff I just named and more.

Contrary to what intercourse says, I don't think it has anything to do with margins, it's just that if you don't have Perk A, but "company always hiring" does, you'll lose all your staff to "company always hiring".

• Java Dev

The main thing I have to complain about in our break room is that if you arrive for lunch too early, you're expected to help set the table. If you arrive too late, you won't be done eating in time to join the after-lunch walk.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@Ascendant said:

Photo please.

Ask and you shall receive.

As you can see, nobody wants the drinks, but the sandwiches are apparently very popular.

• FoxDev

That payment machine has a real smug sense of self-satisfaction.

Either that, or someone's having fun with one of its sockets out of view :giggity:

• Notification Spam Recipient

@RaceProUK said:

sockets out of view

Well there is a security camera monitor out of view behind it, so...

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Or, being Seattle, soccer matches

Repeat after me: football. Foot-ball. Two syllables. 🚎

But honestly, I didn't know that this particular sport is popular anywhere in the US. What team do you have in Seattle?

• The Sounders is the male team, and the Reign is the women's team.

When the Supersonics left, pretty much everybody in Seattle switched without a beat from being NBA fans to being soccer fans. Microsoft started sponsoring the Sounders, etc. It was amazing and awesome and I bet the NBA is kicking themselves to this day.

• Meanwhile I want all the drinks, and would probably occasionally eat.

• ♿ (Parody)

@kt_ said:

Repeat after me: football. Foot-ball. Two syllables. 🚎

But honestly, I didn't know that this particular sport is popular anywhere in the US. What team do you have in Seattle?

They have the Seahawks. Almost made the Superbowl again.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

the Reign is the women's team.

Is women football popular in Seattle?

@blakeyrat said:

When the Supersonics left

I've heard this story oh so many times, it looks like such moves are quite popular in the US. (I think it's Paul Auster who keeps reminiscing in his books and movies (Smoke and Blue in the Face, anyone?) how big a blow it was for Dodgers to move outta Brooklyn?

In Poland, there were a few mergers of football teams in the past decade, 2 exactly if I'm not mistaken. Teams tend not to move from their city, there's too much of a history of love and hate between their supporters for it to be viable.

@blakeyrat said:

The Sounders is the male team

I've never seen your league, I know that Beckham used to play for D.C. United? Nevertheless, I always like to watch your national team during World Cup finals. Players always put their heart into the game even when they lack technique; and it's an awesome sight.

@boomzilla said:

They have the Seahawks. Almost made the Superbowl again.

I didn't know that ospreys could play football:

Or did you mean skuas?

• ♿ (Parody)

@kt_ said:

I didn't know that ospreys could play football:

Neither one of those has the right coloring, so I'm not sure.

• Dupa

@boomzilla said:

Neither one of those has the right coloring, so I'm not sure.

Look at those green eyes. I bet it's using opiates.

• The logo is a piece of famous Native American art, only slightly modified. You can see the original in the Seattle Art Museum, I believe.

• Breaking room here is nice enough. If I had breaks, other than 1h for lunch that I spend going into a restaurant, I would like to use it.

I think they built it for the callcenter workers, that have more breaks.