Justice Antonin Scalia, RIP. Next up: nuclear :football: time!



  • A sad day for the family and friends of Justice Antonin Scalia; and for our country.

    U.S. Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia found dead at West Texas ranch


    Tiny moment of silence

    #But we must not let the liberals win!!!!

    Politicians Ted Cruz, Donald Trump among those to react to Scalia’s death on social media

    Donald Trump: “The totally unexpected loss of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia is a massive setback for the Conservative movement and our COUNTRY!”

    Ted Cruz “Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement,”

    Political :football: time!



  • Isn't this the same Justice who once stabbed a puppy on the courthouse steps, just to make a point about recipe piracy?



  • Also, shameless stolen from someone on Twitter:

    1. Obama steps down
    2. Biden appoints him Justice
    3. Conservatives go nuclear head-asploding

  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Lorne_Kates said:

    Biden appoints him Justice

    Biden could--maybe--appoint him as a recess appointment[1], which would end Jan 20, 2017. The Senate can prevent that from happening by simply never going out of session--they've done it before.

    [1] which doesn't need the Senate's approval.



  • @CoyneTheDup said:

    Ted Cruz “Justice Scalia was an American hero. We owe it to him, & the Nation, for the Senate to ensure that the next President names his replacement,”

    Uh.

    I'm sorry but it's February. It's not like this happened in October. No, Cruz. That is not how it works. There's absolutely NO basis to delay a nomination for OVER SIX MONTHS just because you want to see who wins the election.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    I'm sorry but it's February. It's not like this happened in October. No, Cruz. That is not how it works. There's absolutely NO basis to delay a nomination for OVER SIX MONTHS just because you want to see who wins the election.

    Nonono--- it makes perfect sense. Every four years, the entire government should stop for 18 months until the next president is elected, just to be sure.



  • Ben L's comment about that in Status is pretty funny but I'm not going to quote it here because that would take several mouse clicks.



  • Goddamnit, do I have to do everything around here?

    @Lorne_Kates said:

    @ben_lubar said:
    @Lorne_Kates said:
    @ben_lubar said:
    next 268 days

    Fuck. Ing. Hell.

    Sorry, did I say 268? I meant 341.

    Fuck. ING. HELL



  • Wow that's incredibly broken.



  • I especially love how expanding any of those quotes collapses all of them.



  • Well it does a neat little animation where it looks like it's about to expand, but then, nope, its gets even worse than before.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Wow that's incredibly broken.

    It won't be on the new forums-- which Ben's writing, because he has to do everything around here.



  • @Lorne_Kates said:

    It won't be on the new forums



  • @blakeyrat said:

    it does a neat little animation where it looks like it's about to expand, but then, nope, its gets even worse than before

    Seems perfectly cromulent in a thread about Scalia.



  • I hope a sane judge will be nominated to rule out parts of the Citizens United that give corporate assholes the right to buy and sell corrupt politicians.



  • You are a crazy person who hates freedom.

    But you're probably right that we'll get a shitty replacement who will be up for doing that.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    I was at a friend's house last night. It's kind of like a frat house for conservative wingnuts (they're technically more libertarian but that falls under the conservative wingnut banner this cycle because RonPaul™ isn't running and Rand is a Republican)

    Anyway, naturally this became a point of discussion. I pointed out that every one of Scalias opinions I had read were the most hateful tripe I'd ever read.

    Every one of the wingnuts agreed. The one and only reason this is bad is because their side might not get to appoint the replacement.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @boomzilla said:

    You are a crazy person who hates freedom.

    But you're probably right that we'll get a shitty replacement who will be up for doing that.

    Isn't that also on Sanders' agenda?

    I'd really love to see Sanders vs. Trump (vs. Bloomberg?). Already bought some popcorn, just in case.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @asdf said:

    I'd really love to see Sanders vs. Trump (vs. Bloomberg?).

    Just get @LynchBot fired up…



  • @asdf said:

    Isn't that also on Sanders' agenda?

    Yes.

    @Weng said:

    I pointed out that every one of Scalias opinions I had read were the most hateful tripe I'd ever read.

    That's ludicrous.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @boomzilla said:

    Yes.

    I'm disappointed, I expected a long rant. Maybe I should tell you that I'd actually prefer Sanders to Clinton?



  • @asdf said:

    @boomzilla said:
    Yes.

    I'm disappointed, I expected a long rant. Maybe I should tell you that I'd actually prefer Sanders to Clinton?

    Most Democrats want to gut the First Amendment. They love to rant against the Citizen's United decision. I'd rate that insight as common knowledge at this point.

    I hope Sanders gets the nomination, myself. He's an old deluded crank, but he's basically honest and not a crook, AFAICT.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @boomzilla said:

    Most Democrats want to gut the First Amendment.

    Well, I'm pretty sure there are also some Republicans who don't particularly like the Establishment Clause.

    @boomzilla said:

    He's an old deluded crank, but he's basically honest and not a crook, AFAICT.

    +1



  • @asdf said:

    Well, I'm pretty sure there are also some Republicans who don't particularly like the Establishment Clause.

    I'm sure you can find someone who believes anything. But it's certainly not a major part of the party's platform like the free political speech hating Dems.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Eh. I cited stuff, and then remembered I don't argue politics on the innerweb.
    And then I wrote a summary, and then remembered I don't argue politics on the innerweb.

    TLDR, I don't argue politics on the innerweb. This is not because you are right and I am wrong, but because the only thing that ever comes of arguing politics on the innerweb is more and ever-escalating partisan echochamber rhetoric and MY SIDE GOOD THE OTHER SIDE EVIL bullshit, which is literally the opposite of what we need.

    Fuck Antonin Scalia. He deserved what he got.
    The real tragedy here is that he didn't take with him all the other pieces of human trash inhabiting virtually every appointed and elected seat in the nation.

    And a fairly large chunk of the electorate who apparently believe this is the only way to conduct business.



  • @Weng said:

    Eh. I cited stuff, and then remembered I don't argue politics on the innerweb.

    Well, say stupid stuff like this:

    @Weng said:

    Fuck Antonin Scalia. He deserved what he got.The real tragedy here is that he didn't take with him all the other pieces of human trash inhabiting virtually every appointed and elected seat in the nation.

    ...and I'm going to call it stupid.



  • @Weng said:

    Fuck Antonin Scalia. He deserved what he got.

    A long, successful life of wealth, power and privilege?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    There's absolutely NO basis to delay a nomination for OVER SIX MONTHS just because you want to see who wins the election.

    1968, Abe Fortas.

    Also, [citation needed] for what you said.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @dse said:

    I hope a sane judge will be nominated to rule out parts of the Citizens United that give corporate assholes the right to buy and sell corrupt politicians.

    ...but it's OK for unions to keep spending as much as they want, right?



  • @dse said:

    I hope a sane judge will be nominated to rule out parts of the Citizens United that give corporate assholes the right to buy and sell corrupt politicians.

    Not going to happen. Not only is it decided law, but I sadly fear the ruling was correct.

    "Sucks, doesn't it?" -Zed, Men in Black, speaking of the destruction of Earth@boomzilla said:

    Well, say stupid stuff like this:

    @boomzilla said:

    ...and I'm going to call it stupid.

    Just can't help being a :trollface:, can you?


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @CoyneTheDup said:

    Just can't help being a :trollface:, can you?

    Well, I don't want to start a fight here, but that's pretty obvious:

    @boomzilla said:

    Most Democrats want to gut the First Amendment.

    That's hardly a fair analysis of the criticism of the Citizens United ruling.

    Which is why I immediately responded by pointing out that there are quite a few religious nutjobs and islamophobics in the Republican party, who either don't get or at least strongly dislike the first few words of the amendment.



  • @boomzilla said:

    crazy person who hates freedom.

    Freedom for douchebags with fat wallet to buy senate seats in a perfect corporatocracy.
    And not just Apple, Google, and Shell, but also the likes of this:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSP0aj4ZOQw

    @FrostCat said:

    it's OK for unions to keep spending as much as they want, right?

    No.

    How is it helpful to have the right to hide behind the Super PACs (for long enough time)? Ok, junk food companies want to donate to the Republican cause (no problem, I can see that) but they do not have the right to hide their greasy hands. And this is a rigged game played on both sides, the problem is corruption and this has little to do with the political parties. Ted Cruz and Hillary play this crooked game well, Sanders does not, and that is why I vote for Hillary because money can buy anything and Sanders has no chance. Trump is an asshole but he is at least not corrupt, same as Sanders.



  • @dse said:

    and that is why I vote for Hillary because money can buy anything and Sanders has no chance.

    Ah, so you're also a believer of the, the system is shit, but I'm not gonna do anything but complain online to show my anger, political philosophy.



  • Scenario: You wake up tomorrow and find that you are the only person to have ever heard of the concept of a two-party system. All of the candidates are running in the same election with no primaries. There are no parties, so candidates aren't forced to vote a certain way because of their friends. Who do you vote for?

    [poll name="candidates" type="multiple"]

    • A crazy man with turtles in his pockets
    • A crazy man who is a neurosurgeon/eyelid model
    • A crazy man who claims the other candidates have all dropped out
    • A crazy man described only as the prince of blight and nope
    • A Mexican boxer born June 16, 1980
    • A crazy building pretending to be a crazy man
    • A crazy woman who stores her emails in a video toaster
    • A crazy man who claims money is the devil
      [/poll]

  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place



  • @MHolt said:

    the system is shit, but I'm not gonna do anything but complain online to show my anger, political philosophy

    Fair enough too. You wouldn't want the wrong lizard to get in.



  • It seems unanimous: Republican senators and presidential candidates agree the nomination of the next Supreme Court Justice should be held up for 11 months for the "next president". (I wonder what they plan to do if the next president is Bernie Sanders. Hold it up for another 48 months?)

    From The Nation:

    Yet Republican senators responded to the death of Supreme Court Justice Antonin Scalia by proposing to shred not just the Constitution but precedents that date from the earliest years of the American experiment. Within hours of the announcement of the conservative jurist’s death on Saturday, Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell declared that “this vacancy should not be filled until we have a new president.

    That would leave a vital position vacant for a year.

    Hours after McConnell outlined his unreasonable demand, the Republicans who would be president used Saturday night’s crude and chaotic Republican presidential debate to be more unreasonable. They proposed that President Obama abandon his constitutionally defined role in the process. They urged the Republican-controlled Senate to “delay, delay, delay” until the end of the president’s second term. And they proposed ideological litmus tests dictated not by regard for the Constitution but by their own rabid partisanship. Dr. Ben Carson summed up the sentiment when he said “we should not allow a judge to be appointed during [this president’s] time.”



  • I had honestly forgotten that part. Thank you for reminding me, that's a very precise analysis by the late Mr. Adams.

    (Also, why wasn't he at least an OBE?)


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @MHolt said:

    (Also, why wasn't he at least an OBE?)

    Because he died quite early. He might well have got one had he lived longer (and they're not given posthumously).



  • @dkf said:

    @MHolt said:
    (Also, why wasn't he at least an OBE?)

    Because he died quite early. He might well have got one had he lived longer (and they're not given posthumously).

    Ah yeah... Actually thought he was older :frowning:



  • @CoyneTheDup said:

    Just can't help being a :trollface:, can you?

    I think you're confusing who was the troll and who got trolled in this case.



  • @asdf said:

    @boomzilla said:
    Most Democrats want to gut the First Amendment.

    That's hardly a fair analysis of the criticism of the Citizens United ruling.

    Yes, it absolutely is. The most important reason for free speech is for political speech.

    @asdf said:

    Which is why I immediately responded by pointing out that there are quite a few religious nutjobs and islamophobics in the Republican party, who either don't get or at least strongly dislike the first few words of the amendment.

    I think you're over estimating the amount here, frankly, and / or that you have an unfair analysis of the Establishment Cause. :stuck_out_tongue:



  • @dse said:

    Freedom for douchebags with fat wallet to buy senate seats in a perfect corporatocracy.

    :rolleyes: You're never going to be able to stop that. Citizen's United, OTOH, allows people to group together to get their message out when they're not all billionaires.

    @dse said:

    And this is a rigged game played on both sides, the problem is corruption and this has little to do with the political parties.

    And instead of going after the root problem (too much power, which is abused by office holders and the people who benefit from it) you want to shut people up about it. Brillant.

    @dse said:

    Ted Cruz and Hillary play this crooked game well

    I'm really curious how one puts Hillary and Cruz into the same bucket here.



  • @CoyneTheDup said:

    It seems unanimous: Republican senators and presidential candidates agree the nomination of the next Supreme Court Justice should be held up for 11 months for the "next president". (I wonder what they plan to do if the next president is Bernie Sanders. Hold it up for another 48 months?)

    Yeah, this was pretty much guaranteed to happen if a Justice died while the "wrong" party was in the White House. I figured it would be Ginsburg, but I knew Scalia was getting up there, too.



  • @dse said:

    Ted Cruz and Hillary play this crooked game well, Sanders does not, and that is why I vote for Hillary because money can buy anything and Sanders has no chance.

    Awesome. You're one of those assholes who votes for who they (think) can win, not for who they actually agree with.

    You are the problem.



  • @MHolt said:

    (Also, why wasn't he at least an OBE?)

    Who gives a fucking shit what the queen thinks. Get a real government, you British assholes.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @boomzilla said:

    too much power

    NOTABUG_WONTFIX

    Neither side really wants to reduce government's power. They just want it used to further their agenda instead of the other side's.

    @blakeyrat said:

    Awesome. You're one of those assholes who votes for who they (think) can win, not for who they actually agree with.

    Vote Cthulu Discourse! Why settle for the lesser evil?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @Lorne_Kates said:

    Isn't this the same Justice who once stabbed a puppy on the courthouse steps, just to make a point about recipe piracy?

    Sounds more like something Francis Underwood would do...



  • @PJH said:

    Francis Underwood

    It's some dumb TV show. I saved you some Googling.



  • Wrong. Guess again.
    Our monarchy is much older.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.