JIRA latest version is end of life

• Trolleybus Mechanic

More JIRA fun. Upgraded to the latest version of JIRA and it pops up with...

End of life. But I'm on the latest version! Let me check if there's another one...

Nice encoding. This has been in JIRA as long as I can remember...

So there's a bug for it saying it's end of life when you're on the latest version:

"Expected Results: Somewhat expected"

OK. Somewhat expected.

This is after JIRA 7.1 failed to even start up without hacking dbconfig.xml because they apparently don't even do startup tests on their supported databases any more (MS SQL in this case: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/36120344/jira-7.1.0-will-not-run-on-windows-server-2012-r2-ms-sql )

JIRA 7's been nothing but trouble so far, and other than the licensing changes where they split the application in two and merged JIRA Agile in there doesn't seem to be any actual improvements for customers.

• @ydna said:

This is after JIRA 7.1 failed to even start up without hacking dbconfig.xml because they apparently don't even do startup tests on their supported databases any more (MS SQL in this case: https://answers.atlassian.com/questions/36120344/jira-7.1.0-will-not-run-on-windows-server-2012-r2-ms-sql )

To be fair, the above is a DBCP bug that only hits if your installation is using DBCP 2.X and the database is SQL2012. If their testing server runs on Tomcat7 or below it won't trigger the bug.

In no company that I worked did we actually try to test the binary on all combinations of supported hardware + runtime + DBMS + OS.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Thing is, Tomcat is bundled with JIRA; they don't recommend deploying JIRA into your own container, you use their pre-packaged one (which is Tomcat 8). That cuts down the matrix of at least primary supported platforms quite a bit.

Several of the other Atlassian products don't support SQL Server 2014 yet (at least - not listed in support), so if you're on MS SQL then you're most likely either on 2008 R2 and a few versions behind, or on 2012 as that's the highest common supported version right now.

• @ydna said:

Several of the other Atlassian products don't support SQL Server 2014 yet (at least - not listed in support), so if you're on MS SQL then you're most likely either on 2008 R2 and a few versions behind, or on 2012 as that's the highest common supported version right now.

That's odd, SQL Server is usually a pretty simple upgrade. The only times I've had trouble upgrading a database to the latest version involved dependencies on things like 2000 compatibility mode. If they haven't yet certified 2014, at best, it means that they haven't had a chance to install and test it in the last ~2 years. At worst, it suggests the upgrade breaks a few things on their end.

• Dude, Atlassian is working in Java. Enough said.