Web API 2 and routing problem

• I am probably being thick, but my scenario is.

I have a controller called AccountController.cs.

I have a 2 routes:

POST https://<domain>/api/register

POST https://<domain>/api/registerExternal

I keep get an MVC error saying I have two matching routes in one controller. RegisterExternal is a route for dealing with registering people using OAuth mechanisms such as Facebook / G+ etc and Register is a regular sign up form. Both are being called via CORS from a Angular JS application.

What the easiest way to solve this without renaming one the routes to something less descriptive?

• sockdevs

Are you using template-based routing or attribute-based routing?

• Both It seems.

• sockdevs

Hmm… would you be able to post snippets that show the routing you have in place?

• WebAPIConfig.cs:

config.Routes.MapHttpRoute(
        name: "DefaultApi",
        routeTemplate: "api/{controller}/{id}",
        defaults: new { id = RouteParameter.Optional }
    );

AccountController

[RoutePrefix("api/Account")]
    public class AccountController : ApiController

//POST api/Account/Register
    [AllowAnonymous]
    [HttpPost]
    [Route("Register")]
    public async Task<IHttpActionResult> Register(UserModel userModel)

• My guess would be that you can't have two <domain>/api/ endpoints. I don't think you can combine paths like that.
    Edit: fuck if I can escape that correctly.

• I will have a look tomorrow at moving everything to attribute based routing. At the moment I am writing some monster SQL queries for some features and I am not that good at SQL so it takes me about 4 times longer than everyone else.

• That's where EF is nice 😉

• Yeh well the performance sucks on EF compared to SPROCS.

• Agreed, depending on the operation of course. (it's usually fine for CRUD operations )

• I want the highest performance possible at the moment. Ironically the front end is the slowest due to viewstate madness.

• sockdevs

What if, instead of
    @lucas said:

```cs
    routeTemplate: "api/{controller}/{id}",
    );

you had
    ```cs
            routeTemplate: "api/{controller}/{id:int}",
        );

:question:
    I think @swayde's onto something with the route matching both attribute-based and template-based routes; that :int constrains the templated route to only accept an integer there, so using a string should match your attribute routing only.

@lucas said:

viewstate madness

Is there a reason you're using WebForms instead of MVC?

• @RaceProUK said:

Is there a reason you're using WebForms instead of MVC?

What I am working on is in a different project. There is a Webforms app that is for clients, I am building the admin portal that is an SPA using Angular 2.

• @RaceProUK said:

you had

routeTemplate: "api/{controller}/{id:int}",
    );

:question:I think @swayde's onto something with the route matching both attribute-based and template-based routes; that :int constrains the templated route to only accept an integer there, so using a string should match your attribute routing only.

That won't work because my AccountController has a lot of methods other than those I mentioned. The two I mentioned conflicted in my OP.

Maybe I should move everything to attribute routing (which I prefer). The Social Auth is more important than regular auth at the moment, so I don't care too much. But I want as much working as possible as I have a product demo on Friday.

• sockdevs

It is better to go either fully template- or fully attribute-based; mixing can be problematic. Personally, if you're going to have a lot of routes following well-known patterns, template-based may be better; you can control action names with the ActionName attribute. But if you want more precise control, attribute-based routing is the way to go ;)

• I always want more control. I usually build these sorts of API with Silex (PHP) or Flask (Python).

I've been mashing two projects together because I know I need to do a demo that looks like it works and basically ignoring best practice until after next week.

• I basically moved everything to attribute routing and it works perfectly now.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.