Can't fix you iDevice



  • FFS, I just fixed my my brothers iPhone 5 because of a broken screen. Hopefully it won't get bricked.

    I've been forced to buy an Mac Mini because a client wants a iphone app. I was thinking of upgrading it to an SSD. Probably won't risk it now.

    Fucking Apple


  • SockDev

    *adds to the list of reasons to never buy an iDevice*



  • I have both a Macbook and an iPhone and I've never witnessed this problem.
    I suspect that's because I've never cared beyond iTunes/iCloud's syncing of things between devices.



  • I do think though that people used to Windows are going to be just as confused by how different things are as people used to OSX are if confronted by trying to sync a Windows (or Android) phone with a Windows desktop/laptop computer. Shit - Windows combined with Android can be just as bad.

    TR :wtf: is that there isn't a widely adopted platform agnostic standard for transferring data and/or files between platforms.



  • Have you had your iPhone repaired by a third party?

    i am pretty sure this is against some of the consumer laws in the UK, but without reading the act again I don't know for sure.



  • @lucas said:

    Have you had your iPhone repaired by a third party.

    I've not broken it yet.



  • Well it looks like you will have no choice but to take it to apple for repair if you do which is shitty.



  • If I break it then sure. But that's the same with every other device I own.

    edit: the same applied to my Galaxy S5 and my Nexus 5.



  • You can get it repaired locally, but this is the first time I've seen that you can't get a third party to repair a phone.


  • area_pol

    @loopback0 said:

    Shit - Windows combined with Android can be just as bad.

    When i connect an Android phone to Linux/Windows, it shows the phone's file system and allows file transfers. Seems perfect. Where is the problem?


  • Dupa

    @Adynathos said:

    Where is the problem?

    Right here:

    @Adynathos said:

    Android phone

    If you had an iPhone you'd have to install and use iTunes for all stuff and you wouldn't have that problem.

    HTH HAND



  • @Adynathos said:

    Where is the problem?

    I didn't say there was a problem, it's just no more difficult syncing an Android phone with Windows than it is an iPhone with OSX/Windows.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @lucas said:

    I've been forced to buy an Mac Mini because a client wants a iphone app.

    Should've made them buy you the Mac.



  • I charged them for it but I couldn't charged them the full amount because they would only pay for the minimum spec which wasn't acceptable to me (it would cost me more than the £150 in time I reckon)


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Ah, well, that's OK then.



  • It is OK, but I rather not have to get a whole new computer and a phone to make edits to an existing app in the app store.


  • area_pol

    Use VMs and emulators?



  • You might be able to use VMs to publish and develop. But emulators just don't cut it.

    I've learned the hardway not to fuck around and avoid try cutting corners.



  • @loopback0 said:

    TR :wtf: is that there isn't a widely adopted platform agnostic standard for transferring data and/or files between platforms.

    Well, Android devices use MTP.

    But yes, smart devices today have many compatibility problems, because Apple, Google and Microsoft want it.

    And when the free software people try to campaign against vendor lock-in or push open formats, we call them annoying neckbeards.



  • Well they are annoying neckbeards because that is the stereotype for good reason. They go too far the other way. There has to be a nice middle ground somewhere.

    EDIT: I sounded like a dick. and what I said didn't make any sense.


  • SockDev

    Fairly sure this is borderline illegal under antitrust in this country?



  • Don't worry. If you buy a Microsoft Lumia 950, they'll almost brick it for you after taking your $550 dollars and on your first update, heat up like hell and sit at 0% until you factory reset. God damn I like to be tortured. But the Metro UI! The UI!!!



  • Can't fix you iDevice
    [poll]

    • Can't fix your iDevice
    • Can't fix you, iDevice
      [/poll]

  • SockDev

    E_COLDPLAY_NOT_FOUND isn't in the poll.



  • I'd think so too - but it's actually reasonable from a security point of view.



  • @lucas said:

    i am pretty sure this is against some of the consumer laws in the UK, but without reading the act again I don't know for sure.

    Well (and not being a lawyer), I suspect the law will be similar to the one related to taking your car to a non-franchise garage not affecting the warranty. Prior to the ruling, you had to take your new car to a manufacturer's dealer or they would refuse to honour the warranty. Now you can take it to any garage and, as long as they use "original parts" then the warranty is unaffected.

    I wonder whether Apple would suggest that non-original parts were used to fix the iphone but then I I'd assume that for most people, the warranty would have already expired.

    Mind you, all of this is moot if the 9,362 page "agreement" that you electronically accepted states that they can stop supporting your phone if you fiddle with it...



  • If it detects "third-party" repairs to the home button because otherwise TouchID would be laughable. So it makes sense. I hear the actual bricking after an update is a bug, it should just disable TouchID.



  • Apple Inc... they don't take kindly to sabotage.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XmSBtDLgBSQ&t=49m5s


  • kills Dumbledore

    @Arantor said:

    E_COLDPLAY_NOT_FOUND isn't in the poll.

    Not finding Coldplay is a feature, not an error



  • @skotl said:

    @lucas said:
    i am pretty sure this is against some of the consumer laws in the UK, but without reading the act again I don't know for sure.

    Well (and not being a lawyer), I suspect the law will be similar to the one related to taking your car to a non-franchise garage not affecting the warranty. Prior to the ruling, you had to take your new car to a manufacturer's dealer or they would refuse to honour the warranty. Now you can take it to any garage and, as long as they use "original parts" then the warranty is unaffected.

    I wonder whether Apple would suggest that non-original parts were used to fix the iphone but then I I'd assume that for most people, the warranty would have already expired.

    It's not Apple's fault that most people don't know how to correctly fix an iPhone.
    If the third-party technicians had also fixed the TouchID pairing after replacing the home button then this 'Error 53' wouldn't have happened.



  • @julmu said:

    It's not Apple's fault that most people don't know how to correctly fix an iPhone.

    Well, that depends on whether they published that information or not.



  • Still shouldn't brick the phone.


  • BINNED

    You are mistaken. You never own Apple products, it is just a lease for life and Apple owns it. It is their precious in your pocket.



  • @skotl said:

    Prior to the ruling, you had to take your new car to a manufacturer's dealer or they would refuse to honour the warranty.

    Yeah, but they wouldn't pour sugar into the gas tank when they found out about your infidelity.



  • @skotl said:

    Mind you, all of this is moot if the 9,362 page "agreement" that you electronically accepted states that they can stop supporting your phone if you fiddle with it...

    Not in places that have sane laws regarding manufacturer responsibility. You can't just write away your warranty.





  • I saw that this morning on arstechnica.

    Good they sorted it



  • @Adynathos said:

    When i connect an Android phone to Linux/Windows, it shows the phone's file system and allows file transfers. Seems perfect. Where is the problem?

    Not all Android phones will present themselves as a USB drive, no matter how much you fiddle with the settings.


  • area_deu

    Which ones don't?!



  • The ZTE Zinger is one such device.



  • @aliceif said:

    Which ones don't?!

    Ones running Android 4 (IIRC) or higher, at least from what I've seen. With those you get MTP, which works almost but not quite the same.



  • @hungrier said:

    Ones running Android 4 (IIRC) or higher, at least from what I've seen. With those you get MTP, which works almost but not quite the same.

    I can tell my phone (Android 4.2.2) to represent itself in a variety of ways:



  • CD-ROM? That's a strange one I've never seen before. :wtf:



  • I may have mis-remembered the version, but it's also possible that some vendor-specific or custom roms support it. It's hard to say anything in general about Android because there are almost as many :snowflake: versions as there are individual devices.

    I've got a Nexus 5 with (a custom version of) 6.0.1 which gives me these options in developer settings:

    and a notification that lets you pick from Charging, File transfers (MTP), Photo transfer (PTP) and MIDI. (I tried uploading a screenshot but :disco: kept spinning indefinitely)



  • @LB_ said:

    CD-ROM? That's a strange one I've never seen before. :wtf:

    I don't get the point of it. I activated the CD-ROM option to see what would be there.

    It contains a single file with name Micro-USB_1_01.pdf. I opened it and it's "Universal Serial Bus Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification", Revision 1.01, dated April 4, 2007.

    That's neither useful nor software.

    @hungrier said:

    these options in developer settings

    I don't seem to have USB configuration options in the Developer options. My screenshot shows what I get when I tap the notification.

    I can configure the USB connection from my phone as RNDIS too, but I have to go through Settings → Wireless & networks — More… → USB Internet.



  • @OffByOne said:

    It contains a single file with name Micro-USB_1_01.pdf. I opened it and it's "Universal Serial Bus Micro-USB Cables and Connectors Specification", Revision 1.01, dated April 4, 2007.

    That's neither useful nor software.

    It might be useful if you were an alien trying to interface with this strange hoo-mon device, but you can't get at it until you already have a Micro-USB cable so it seems kind of pointless.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    It might be useful if you were an alien trying to interface with this strange hoo-mon device, but you can't get at it until you already have a Micro-USB cable so it seems kind of pointless.

    Meh, Rom would be able to do it.

    The PDF is this one: http://read.pudn.com/downloads114/doc/comm/476505/usb_20_040908/usb_20/Micro-USB_final/Micro-USB_1_01.pdf

    It has pretty pictures and everything.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.