Company asks on job application: Do you have any health conditions which could affect your ability to perform this job?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@aapis said:

I'm pretty sure it means "jail", but being England it may be slang for Australia or something.

Already answered, but yes...

• @powerlord said:

As for IT type jobs, can you think of any health-issues that could affect your job? I mean, short of being blind? So... the answer is automatically No.

Narcolepsy might. Alcoholism could. Mental health issues, if they were severe enough, could too.

• Pretty sure I have coworkers who suffer from all of the above and they do alright.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@powerlord said:

As for IT type jobs, can you think of any health-issues that could affect your job? I mean, short of being blind? So... the answer is automatically No.

Quadriplegia, coma, stupidity, etc.

Also, a fair number of IT people have to lift things. Servers and such. Job requirements for sysadmins frequently list "must be able to lift 75lbs".

Lots of IT jobs require driving.

Back and leg injuries can prevent people from sitting for long periods.

There are lots, actually.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

same-sex marriages, another protected class

No, they are not. For some states they are, but not on a national level.

• @Polygeekery said:

coma

I just giggled because I tried to imagine a person filling out job applications whilst in a coma.

BTW I'm pretty sure that some of the physical conditions you listed could be reasonably accommodated and thus shouldn't factor in the hiring decision. Inability to sit for extended lengths of time is almost definitely something that can be easily accommodated.

• @anotherusername said:

Inability to sit for extended lengths of time is almost definitely something that can be easily accommodated.

Yeah, except every time I go up on the floor I'm going to look at you funny because your head and torso stick out of the top of your cube.

• You only have half-height cubes? Belgium.

• No, but your head and chest still poke out (depending on how tall you are).

• Either they aren't full height cubes, or you're assuming someone approximately the same height as Shaq.

• I guess they are 3/4 height? Managers usually have cubes that go to the ceiling along the wall. They aren't as short as the modern actual half height ones we got in some areas recently.

• FoxDev

Meanwhile, in the UK, our offices are all open-plan

• Good god, I am so sorry. :(

• I'll keep my real office, with actual walls and a wood door, thank you.

• @abarker said:

and a wood door

Did you mean "@wood door" (:wtf:) or "wood­en door"? ;)

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

our offices are all open-plan

ick!

can you at least put your back to a wall?

@RaceProUK said:

Meanwhile, in the UK, our offices are all open-plan

Pfft. Mine isn't.

• FoxDev

@accalia said:

@RaceProUK said:
    our offices are all open-plan

ick!

can you at least put your back to a wall?

Depends on where you are in the room. Where I am at work, I can't put my back to a wall (the wall is on my left), but it doesn't bother me; I'm used to open-plan.

• FoxDev

@RaceProUK said:

. Where I am at work, I can't put my back to a wall

if you are going to put me in open plan and not let me put my back to the wall.... we're going to have words.... 💢

• FoxDev

*makes a note never to put @accalia in the middle of an open-plan office* ;)

In all honesty, it's just not seen as an issue here; a lot of the time, you don't get a choice, but no-one complains. Guess it's a cultural thing.

I'd rather be in an open plan office than something like this:

• I, too, enjoy the benefits of going deaf in my thirties and not being able to concentrate or enjoy any privacy.

• Java Dev

Our (currently down to 3 people, but used to be 5) scrum team sits in a shared office. We've always had that, and though part of the office got converted to open-plan during the last renovation, we got to keep our shared office. This may be related to the fact we spend enough time discussing stuff with each other they'd've needed a second meeting room otherwise.

The desk next to the door was never popular though.

• ♿ (Parody)

@loopback0 said:

I'd rather be in an open plan office than something like this:

Could you explain why?

• @blek said:

And trust me, almost nobody wants that kind of contract and the uncertainty it brings

The situation in the US is almost the opposite, especially in IT: outside of the major software vendors, no one, and I do mean no one hires anyone permanently for software development, and even the 'permanent' positions rarely last more than two or three years. In any case, most people in IT prefer contracts because the industry is in such constant flux they can almost always get a better position six months to a year later - unless there's a downturn, in which case the 'permanent' positions would be the first ones cut anyway. True, if you aren't good at the whole 'thrive on chaos' BS (like me) then you are screwed, but that's pretty much going to be the case no matter what. Of course, this means that the shit rises to the top rather than the cream (i.e., those who have no technical skills but can talk fast invariably do better than those who are technically competent but socially inept), but America.

• @blek said:

If you think laws are made to improve objectively bad situations, then I don't think I have much else to say to you, I'm sorry.

Actually, most laws are made with the intent of doing so. Which is in fact one of the reasons they usually go awry. The corrupt politicians aren't the real danger; the damage they cause is usually self-limiting. It is the idealistic, the pious, and the well-meaning who cause most of the problems, regardless of what those ideals happen to be, because they are acting with what they see as a moral obligation which justifies any and all actions they might take.

Remember, people like Torquemada, Robespierre, Boothe, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot thought they were doing what was right for their people, and believed passionately in the righteousness of their causes.

Looks like it'd feel quite penned in, and be difficult to talk to the people around you.
    An open plan office wouldn't be my ideal either - I'd just prefer it over that sort of cube.

My current set up is the better balance for me. We have an office which could probably hold 6 decent sized desks but with only 4 in shared between us.

• ♿ (Parody)

@ScholRLEA said:

It is the idealistic, the pious, and the well-meaning who cause most of the problems, regardless of what those ideals happen to be, because they are acting with what they see as a moral obligation which justifies any and all actions they might take.

👍 ...and another reason to post this:

“Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.”

― C.S. Lewis

• @loopback(), Have you secretly visited where I work and taken a photo?

P.S. How did you know where I work?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@ScholRLEA said:

Remember, people like Torquemada, Robespierre, Boothe, Hitler, Stalin, Mao, and Pol Pot thought they were doing what was right for their people, and believed passionately in the righteousness of their causes.

Yeah, but none of them ever did anything evil like legislating a higher minimum wage.

• Isn't there a saying that goes something like, an idiot is harmless but an idiot with a belief is .. [something very horrible]?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Ascendant said:

Isn't there a saying that goes something like, an idiot is harmless but an idiot with a belief is .. [something very horrible]?@Fox?

Yup, I've heard that.

• IIRC Hitler's Germany had some elements of the modern welfare state - I think government-run we'll-hire-any-able-bodied-young-men jobs digging ditches?

Pretty clearly argumentum ad hitlerum though. Hitler believed sometimes the state should mandate things, and people who think maternity leave should be mandated think that the state should mandate things, so really mandated maternity leave is like Hitler.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@accalia said:

in open plan and not let me put my back to the wall.... we're going to have words....

Oh, there may be more than mere words... :giggity:

• @ScholRLEA said:

Hitler ... thought they were doing what was right for their people, and believed passionately in the righteousness of their causes.

"If the war is lost, it is immaterial if the German people survive. I will not shed a tear for them. They have deserved nothing better"

• Adolf Hitler (Line from the movie Downfall, generally agreed-upon as being historically accurate as it appears in the memoirs of several witnesses)

"This time you will receive a written reply to your memorandum. If the war is lost, the people will also be lost [and] it is not necessary to worry about their needs for elemental survival. On the contrary it is best for us to destroy even those things. For the nation has proved to be weak, and the future belongs entirely to the strong people of the east. Whatever remains after this battle is in any case only the inadequates, because the good ones will be dead."

• Adolf Hitler (in reply to Albert Speer's questioning of his "Nero" order to destroy all infrastructure of Berlin before the Russians entered the city. Speer retained control of the explosives intended for that purpose, and never executed the order.)

Seriously. That dude was as close to pure evil as we've seen in human history.

• I don't know if psychologists would agree but he seems like he suffered from perfectionism( black-white/ all or nothing thinking)

• Either way, the point is ScholRLEA's statement about Hitler was incorrect. He didn't care at all for his people; his only interest after it was obvious that Germany would lose the war was to give orders that the entire German nation would burn with him.

Then, as if that wasn't awful enough, his killed himself like a coward right after issuing those orders.

The funny thing is that when I was a kid, I'd see all the protrayals of Hitler, and it didn't help that a lot of those were in "goofy" media, like Hogan's Heroes, or the comic book version, and think to myself: surely these are exaggerated. Nobody could be this awful of a human being. It's not possible. But then you read biographies of the guy and... well, he was.

Actually what really impressed me on the matter was a single passage in Shirer's "The Rise and Fall of the Third Reich" where he says one of Hitler's most blatant crimes was taking pre-order money for the "people's car" (the low-cost car Hitler was planning to use to bring automobile ownership on par with the United States, a.k.a. the Volkswagen Bug design) and funneling it directly into military programs. Before the war even began. Lying to his own citizens the entire time, "your car will come as soon as we finish building it". Setting up entire government agencies to take these payments and lie to their own citizens. They never even built any cars, beyond the ones needed for car shows and promotion.

Compared to most of his rule, it's such a small and stupid thing, but it's also just an amazing anecdote. Even in the first years of the Nazi Party, he just didn't give a shit at all, he instilled lies and dishonesty, stealing his own people's money, from almost literally day one.

@ScholRLEA said:

The corrupt politicians aren't the real danger; the damage they cause is usually self-limiting. It is the idealistic, the pious, and the well-meaning who cause most of the problems, regardless of what those ideals happen to be, because they are acting with what they see as a moral obligation which justifies any and all actions they might take.

You're just paraphrasing C.S.Lewis aren't you?

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

Usually used in the context of bansturbators.

• Same in Canada. You can't ask about religion, sexual preference, marital status, health concerns, even where someone lives (in case you might slight them based on the neighborhood)

• @PJH said:

You're just paraphrasing C.S.Lewis aren't you?

I didn't have that particular quote in mind, specifically. However, I would moderate that statement (and my own) by saying that it is a matter of balance: without a solid motivation, one ends up just floundering. The problem comes when the motive becomes a justification.

Of course, most people think that their own position is rational and moderate, and it's the other guy who is the fanatic. That, and that the psychology of motives is complex, and often obscure. Most actions any human being take are based on ingrained 'scripts' - habits, indoctrination, training, etc. - rather than rational thought, and even when we think we have good reasons for what we are doing, they are usually rationalizations (this includes things like me writing this post, and most of the replies that you folks will write) of pre-existing behavior patterns. This means that even truly awful things can be justified in the minds of most people if they are 'for the greater good' or 'just a harmless little bending of the rules'.

• @blakeyrat said:

He didn't care at all for his people; his only interest after it was obvious that Germany would lose the war was to give orders that the entire German nation would burn with him.

This is entirely true. He was not motivated by any feelings of benevolence for his country; he was motivated by the belief that the Aryan race was superior, and he was testing Darwin's survival theory to its limit. If his Aryan army was indeed not superior, as proven on the field of battle, then he saw fit that it should entirely perish.

The Descent of Man, Part I, Chap V:

If - various checks - do not prevent the reckless, the vicious and otherwise inferior members of society from increasing at a quicker rate than the better class of men, the nation will retrograde, as has occurred too often in the history of the world. We must remember that progress is no invariable rule.

Just replace "inferior" with Jews, gypsies, homosexuals, etc. and you'll have Hitler's postulate. And as for his method...

The Descent of Man, Part I, Chap VII:

Extinction follows chiefly from competition of tribe with tribe, and race with race. ... When civilised nations come into contact with barbarians the struggle is short, except where a deadly climate gives its aid to the native race.

• Is... is that Intel? It looks like Intel. Except they had some more open bits too...

• Interesting. I don't know what to think. I didn't expect to ever recognize a picture of a former workplace on here...

But if it was going to be any of them, it'd be that one.

@Magus said:

I didn't expect to ever recognize a picture of a former workplace on here...

This particular workplace was so memorably organized, I'd recognize it anywhere!

• Well, it was more the divider model and the colors of the wall bits. Otherwise it's just an open room with lots of cubes, like a more open where-i-am-now. It isn't even the layout of most of the places I remember, since iirc there are rows of cubes like that and rows of diagonal desks with really short translucent plastic dividers between some of the groups for contractors and visitors.

@Magus said:

the colors of the wall bits

True. It seems corporations are really into distinct copywrongable color schemes...

• I assume the colors are derived from the Intel chip design: that really heavily copyrighted orange and blue colorful design along bits of their logos.

• @abarker said:

You only have half-height cubes?

Fuck. I wish we did. Belgium open space.