Company asks on job application: Do you have any health conditions which could affect your ability to perform this job?

• I found this on the job application interface of this company.

Do you have any health conditions which could affect your ability to perform this job?

Along with

Do you have any business interests that may be in competition or conflict with [insert business entity name] and its commercial interests?

Also they have dropdown boxes for

Which ethnic group do you most identify with?

What is your age range?

Pretty nosy, ey?

Anyway, I applyed for it with a comment in the expected salary textarea since there weren't anywhere else I could write something about it.

Do I have business interests that may be in competition with [your company]. Yes, I'm interested in [this field] and if I'm going to work in this field, I damn will be ambitious about it. So yes. I may realise my ambition by working at this company, or not.

Do I have any health conditions? Well, kinda. I've had [this] since [some horrible death of very close family members].

That's basically what I wrote in the "expected salary textarea".

• Where do you see yourself in five years?

• @tar said:

Where do you see yourself in five years?

In the field I desire in a country I desire to be.

• England has nice fields. They pride themselves on it AFAIK.

• So do the Scots and Kiwis, I think. But I wasn't sure what you were asking.

I'm sorry. So what is your question again?

• From the OP, I figured this was some kind of job interview.

• @Ascendant said:

Do you have any health conditions which could affect your ability to perform this job?

I did have severe burnt out due to prolonged work hours back in 2003, so that I was unable to do any programming job for about half year. That's way I had worked as computer hardware salesperson for some time those days.

Does that count? 😛

• @tar said:

I don't, at least not right now. My ESP only works for a few minutes into the future.

• @tar said:

I see myself in a role where I am interviewing candidates for a position and asking them interview questions much more insightful and useful than that one*.

*Plus, five years is an outdated guideline for this industry. There'd better be a compelling reason for staying that long, such as great pay, independence, lots of interesting projects, etc. Many people have three-year gigs and no one bats an eye. Some people, early on in their careers, have one-year gigs and no one bats an eye.

• Half of those are illegal questions in the US.

• @blakeyrat said:

Half of those are illegal questions in the US.

The employee handbook probably makes talking about salaries among coworkers a firing offense and the employee is expected to sign non-competes that would prevent him/her from touching a computer for the next five years.

• The salary one is legal. The healthcare-related ones I think are illegal, and I'm sure the age range one is (unless perhaps the ranges are 1-18, 19-9999.)

• @blakeyrat said:

Half of those are illegal questions in the US.

Yeah, this one is from New Zealand and it claims it has offices in the States, Europe and Asia.

So maybe it's legal in New Zealand?

But still, it's quite nosy.

• @Groaner said:

The employee handbook probably makes talking about salaries among coworkers a firing offense and the employee is expected to sign non-competes that would prevent him/her from touching a computer for the next five years.

Yeah I get that part but certainly not the health condition part.

• New Zealand is a weird place. Not an awfully great job market, though if I ever return from this point on, I imagine i could find something. Not worth the cost of things though.

• I have no idea how it is in New Zealand.

Could you tell me your experiences or what you know about that place?

• @tar said:

Too late for 2020 vision

• kills Dumbledore

In the EU the ethnicity questions have to be optional and they're not shared with the people deciding whether you get an interview. Not sure where the law stands on the other two

• In Denmark at least, the health question is blatantly illegal. They CANNOT ask you health-related questions.
    That being said, I do believe you are actually obligated to tell them by yourself undefined

They can ask for age, but they can't decide based on it. Usually a company will ask for your civil-registration-number anyway.

As for wage sharing, most employers around here frown upon it (I know it says in my contract that I can't talk about wages with coworkers). However, they cannot legally stop you from talking about wages, and the contract would be thrown out in a court.

• @tar said:

England has nice fields. They pride themselves on it AFAIK.
    Ireland has nicer fields but I wouldn't recommend you go there for them.

@tar said:

At the same desk doing the same shit with a 5% increase in pay.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.