Big HTML WTF

• Someone's having a little trouble with font sizes here:

http://hugin.sourceforge.net/docs/faq/

To get the full effect, you'll need to open the page in Opera.  Other browsers manage to do sane things with the fonts.

Example screenshots:
    [url]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/Carnildo/Forums/Picture2.png[/url]
    [url]http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k19/Carnildo/Forums/Picture4.png[/url]

• Looks "great" on safari and IE too. In fact, the real WTF is that the page looks normal only on Firefox ( and, I guess, all browsers using the gecko rendering engine, epiphany and so on )

• Mind you:

<h1><Outdated FAQ</h1>

Should of course be:

<h1>Outdated FAQ</h1>

And this fixes the problem in Opera at least.

• the real WTF, which i've stumbled upon quite often, is defining font size in terms of em units. from wikipedia:

An em is a unit of measurement in the field of typography, equal to the pt size of the current font.

on the hugin page, the font size of the "hugin frequently asked questions" is 3em. so the point size of the font is defined to be three times itself. 

• Is that Opera... 5.. for Mac?

• Actually CSS 2.1 defines that "On all other properties, 'em' and 'ex' length values refer to the computed font size of the current element. On the 'font-size' property, these length units refer to the computed font size of the parent element.", and that therefore makes perfect sense (although maybe a bit huge size definition).

It tend to think it's quite handy and elegant, when well-supported.

• @dhromed said:

Is that Opera... 5.. for Mac?

Opera 9.  I liked the Opera 6 look, so that's the skin I'm using.

• @lanzz said:

the real WTF, which i've stumbled upon quite often, is defining font size in terms of em units. from wikipedia:

An em is a unit of measurement in the field of typography, equal to the pt size of the current font.

on the hugin page, the font size of the "hugin frequently asked questions" is 3em. so the point size of the font is defined to be three times itself. 

No it's not really a WTF.  Once upon a time the em was the most consistent way of setting font sizes across platforms and browsers.  I'm not sure it it's still true as CSS is a WTF in itself if you ask me and I avoid trying to code it.

/just a bit jaded from the netscape 4.0 days 

• @alostpacket said:

No it's not really a WTF.  Once upon a time the em was the most consistent way of setting font sizes across platforms and browsers.  I'm not sure it it's still true as CSS is a WTF in itself if you ask me and I avoid trying to code it.

/just a bit jaded from the netscape 4.0 days 

What do you use, FONT tags and background-colored table cells? That'd be the real WTF... or do you just have someone else do it?

• Oh, I get it!

That's what "hugin" means. It comes from the word "huge" ;)