Mafia Game Styling

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@dkf said:

The scum fought each other, and town tried lackadaisically to not lose.

Says the guy who leaked information about the state of Club Ded into the game thread through likes.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Placeholder said:

Says the guy who leaked information about the state of Club Ded into the game thread through likes.

I was voting up either obviously good play, good roleplay or good moderating. I will continue to do this. Merely being correct is not obviously good play (but smartly rescuing someone who was in danger from the lynchwagon is) and has nothing to do with roleplaying. Knowing what is really good moderating does take the detailed knowledge of Club Ded, but it's harder for any of players to figure out why it is good, so I'm cool with that too.

The worst thing about this game was how little roleplaying was done. Alas, it was because almost all the good RPers were sitting it out, but it was the thing I missed more than I expected…

• sockdevs

@Placeholder said:

The only thing you can tell for sure from a Like is that someone clicked the button.

@RaceProUK said:

The only thing you can tell for sure from a Like is that someone clicked the button.

True.

However, I've been keeping tabs on the Club Ded discussion the past few games. Club Ded is more than just a group of observers. It is also an entity that can participate in the game, whether it realizes this or not. The likes system is the only way that Club Ded can communicate with the players, but the point is that they can communicate.

Given enough games have been played, it is possible to meta-game the members of Club Ded based on they react to player and moderator posts with their likes.

Yes, yes. The bad ideas thread is :arrows:.

• @Placeholder said:

It is also an entity that can participate in the game, whether it realizes this or not. The likes system is the only way that Club Ded can communicate with the players, but the point is that they can communicate.

I agree. There have been many times that I've felt like Liking something but have refrained, since I didn't want to contaminate the game.

• I tried to only like the GM posts (that I liked) but it's likely I just forgot which topic I was viewing and liked the odd post.

Honestly the game would get less useful communication if I just liked every post I wanted to without thinking about it.

• sockdevs

@Placeholder said:

@RaceProUK said:

True.

However, I've been keeping tabs on the Club Ded discussion the past few games. Club Ded is more than just a group of observers. It is also an entity that can participate in the game, whether it realizes this or not. The likes system is the only way that Club Ded can communicate with the players, but the point is that they can communicate.

Given enough games have been played, it is possible to meta-game the members of Club Ded based on they react to player and moderator posts with their likes.

A possibility, but the heuristics you'd have to employ would be a long way from reliable. Plus, you'd be able to infer a fair amount of stuff from people's plays anyway, so I'd say if there is an effect from Likes, it's not that much.

Equally, we don't have a big enough sample size to say anything for sure.

It's not a perfect method, but Club Ded naturally has to put some restrictions on posts that they like. Figure out somebody's rules and there is a small chance that you can glean information from their actions.

@RaceProUK said:

Equally, we don't have a big enough sample size to say anything for sure.

Not from a n > 30 standpoint, for sure. I wouldn't dare try to perform statistical analysis on this behavior. However, certain mindsets carry over from day-to-day activities on the forum into the game. This is especially true of Club Ded, because Club Ded shouldn't need to obfuscate their normal behavior.

I agree with you for the most part. The difference is that I'm trying to look at player activity from an unusual perspective. A perspective that doesn't lend itself to statistical expression very well.

• @Placeholder said:

It's not a perfect method, but Club Ded naturally has to put some restrictions on posts that they like. Figure out somebody's rules and there is a small chance that you can glean information from their actions.

Probably the wrong conclusion will be drawn by the player. Either way is bad. You're influencing the game from the outside, which is wrong.

• BINNED

Would it make sense to hide the like button with css in Mafia threads? I avoided liking anything, and you can always open it back up after the game finishes for people to like their favourite posts.

Yeah, I think no club-ded liking should be a rule for future games.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@Jaloopa said:

Would it make sense to hide the like button with css in Mafia threads?

And the Edit button, and the Delete button. Lets just get everything out of the way. :D

• I'm actually in support of this.

If the rule is that we can't edit or delete, then disable the buttons.

It's not an unreasonable idea.

• mod

The problem is that the GM and actual staff might need access to some of those buttons, which means we can't completely hide them with styling because styling doesn't take those sort of things into account. The other option is to put everything behind the ellipsis, but that's a forum-wide setting, which seems like overkill.

• @abarker said:

which means we can't completely hide them with styling because styling doesn't take those sort of things into account.

At one point there was a style selector in the top bar.

• The ellipsis takes care of delete, which I think is actually fine as a site-wide thing. Per-thread CSS hiding the edit pencil might make sense. If editing were needed, we'd need to drop to diso-default or something to be able to edit it. Admins can do that easily enough. Users can switch / preview a different style by clicking on a link (which we'd have to provide). Unless we get the theme selector working again.

• mod

@boomzilla said:

Per-thread CSS hiding the edit pencil might make sense.

I agree with that (and mods used to be able to revert to disco-default by visiting an admin page, but apparently that trick is broken now). What I was objecting to was hiding all the controls, as suggested by @Tsaukpaetra and agreed to by @xaade.

• @abarker said:

What I was objecting to was hiding all the controls, as suggested by @Tsaukpaetra and agreed to by @xaade.

I'd buy into an alternate theme.

I could use it for edit therapy too.

• mod

So it sounds like the current idea is to create a theme that hides controls in the currently active Mafia game thread(s). The GM and staff would be provided with a link for an alternate theme that exposes at least some of the hidden controls so that necessary moderation can still be performed. Since we tend to only have enough interest for a single active game at a time, we could just use the same CSS every time and update the topic ID as needed.

If this route were to be employed, which controls would we want hidden?

[poll type=multiple min=1 max=6]

• View Raw
    • Link
    • Flag
    • Edit
    • Bookmark
    • Delete
      [/poll]

• Like is missing from your poll, and I think it should be hidden as well.

• mod

Damn it! I Read it over three times and thought I got everything! I must have kept reading "Link" as "Like" and not realized it. Let's try this again:

[poll type=multiple min=1 max=7]

• View Raw
    • Link
    • Flag
    • Edit
    • Bookmark
    • Delete
      [/poll]

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Tsaukpaetra said:

And the Edit button, and the Delete button. Lets just get everything out of the way. :smiley:

? :imp:

• @PJH said:

? :imp:

One extra click to flag posts?! :scream:

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.