Mafia: Tips and Tricks

• mod

Continuing the discussion from Club Ded Mafia III and post-discussion:

@Yamikuronue said:

I should make a Mafia Tips and Tricks thread after this wraps up. Entry 1 will be Xaade's Fallacy:

1. I am town
    2. Mafia know I am town
    3. Therefore, everyone who votes for me is Mafia

Problem: Town don't know you're town.

Don't post here in regards to an ongoing game, but do post things that were learned from previous games about how to play :)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

My tip for Town:

If you don't see anything much going on, don't give up on the game. You can't see everything and it can all get much more exciting later on. Keep playing.

Fortunately, there doesn't seem to have been a problem with that in Game 3, but it was a catastrophic problem for Town in Games 1 and 2 as it destroyed the numerical balance between town and scum.

• mod

Another protip: No-lynching is pretty much the worst play for Town. It's basically telling the scum "Meh, go ahead and kill us again, we're not going to stop you." Even killing an innocent gives you some information: who voted for them, when, and why, plus their innocence (which the scum already know).

• Except in Game 3, where it worked out amazingly well. Scum killed 3 of the 4 of them themselves, town just had to clean up in the end.

• Also, do not rely solely on nighttime investigation data. You either won't have any, won't have enough to find contradictions, or will have them wrong since the scum can play this game too and feed you false information.

If you stick only to 100% certain contradictions, you may hit one or two scum, but you simply don't have time to find them all. You have to press people to make them speak up and hopefully provide enough rope to hang them with.

• mod

Sure, but you can't count on a double-scum or PGO-heavy game in a closed setup. It's still a bad play, even if it worked out.

• mod

Always lynch confirmed liars. This doesn't mean lynching people who are hiding their roles, but rather people who are feeding bad information to the town. It's better to risk losing a townie than to have a source of bad information out there. You might think that you can keep the good information and the bad information separate in your head, but when the pressure's on, that get's very hard to do. Besides, if someone is knowingly feeding bad information to the town, the odds are that they aren't a townie anyway.

• mod

@ChaosTheEternal said:

I was thinking we had more scum to find.

Protip: Lynch the scum you have. You gain nothing by letting a confirmed scum slip through the cracks. As much as I benefitted from it in Mafia II, it was a bad play for Town to let me worm my way off the hook.

• mod

Be protective of your investigative role. You don't need to share all of your investigative results, especially if you aren't sure what your results mean. In general, don't share your results with the town unless:

1. It clearly reveals a threat.
    2. It clears someone who is in danger of being lynched.
    3. It could give the town direction when in MyLo/LyLo.

If you have been outed as someone who moves at night, then the above pretty much goes out the window since you need to explain your night actions, but don't out yourself just because you have information. Remember, not all information will help the town.

• @Yamikuronue said:

Protip: Lynch the scum you have. You gain nothing by letting a confirmed scum slip through the cracks.

Not sure if I agree with that completely. Wagoning them early in the day ends the day prematurely and deprives the Town of the opportunity to discuss further. Plus - as I've mentioned in Club Ded - if you have one 100% confirmed scum and one suspicious player, it might be better to lynch the suspicious player first to gain info about their alignment a day earlier.

• mod

That's fair. That was written in response to an attitude of "I know X is scum, so let's focus on the rest of the town, and try to lynch at random to see if we get lucky and lynch a second scum, and then we can always lynch X later."

• mod

So far, there are exceptions to each of the tips given.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

if you have one 100% confirmed scum and one suspicious player, it might be better to lynch the suspicious player first to gain info about their alignment a day earlier.

Leaving a confirmed scum player alive is still dangerous because they can still communicate with their team. I would use this player and their interactions with the Town and Mafia to direct Town attention in a direction that would be more beneficial to the Mafia in the long run.

• Well, it's all provided the town plays sanely and a) remembers to get back to the wagon eventually and b) doesn't let the confirmed scum player play tricks on them.

Point is, a lynch not only gets rid of a player, but also gives you information on them - and if you lynch confirmed scum, you effectively give up the "information" part.

• mod

@Maciejasjmj said:

if you lynch confirmed scum, you effectively give up the "information" part.

Of course, in a closed setup, you don't know how many scum there are. So you might be on the cusp of winning and not know it and chase phantoms.

• @Yamikuronue said:

an attitude of "I know X is scum, so let's focus on the rest of the town, and try to lynch at random to see if we get lucky and lynch a second scum, and then we can always lynch X later."

What you quoted for that is not the context of what I said.

• You just need to remember that you are fighting a team of people (at least initially) and not just a group of individuals. The best choice varies widely by situation and nobody has a complete understanding of the situation.

• mod

I wasn't trying to call you out specifically, but it seemed like Town likes to play that way XD

• Best tip: hire ronin to kill all the mafia for you

• Late in the game, ask yourself why people are still alive. Talkative or experienced players are often a threat to the Mafia, so they tend to get killed off quickly before they can do much damage. If they're still hanging around on Day 5 or Day 6, then the scum obviously don't consider them a threat. Is it because they're wrong, they're just not as scary that game, or because they themselves are scum?

• mod

33 posts were merged into an existing topic: Mafia: Theory

• @izzion said:

So, basically, lynches random means:

I still say that the game would be better with something extra given to the players on day 1, like some random night zero actions. Doesn't have to be anything super significant, but a little something to stir the pot.

• @boomzilla said:

I still say that the game would be better with something extra given to the players on day 1, like some random night zero actions. Doesn't have to be anything super significant, but a little something to stir the pot

I agree....

Because basically we're saying.

"Literally lynch random day 1."

And that is adverse to roleplay, which ends up every day 1 people just pointing fingers at each other for no real logical reason.

• @TwelveBaud said:

Late in the game, ask yourself why people are still alive. Talkative or experienced players are often a threat to the Mafia

You see, this game works against my brain.

This is basically saying, use paranoia as a tool, when in a real life scenario, my desired form of protection from mafia night killings would simply be something practical like sleeping in shifts, and arming everyone.

This gameplay is illogical to me, so it works against my brain.

So basically, my tip would be.

Do not behave in the game like you would behave in real life. Your goal in the game is to win, and to facilitate this, you'll need to think like a jackass.

You've been handicapped into an scenario where righteous people die.

• mod

@xaade said:

that is adverse to roleplay

Not really. Your characters have no information either. You could really get into it, playing up paranoia and hysteria.

@xaade said:

this game works against my brain.

That's probably your real issue here.

@xaade said:

Your goal in the game is to think like a jackass.

No it's not. Your goal is to win. Think of it more like a board game than a real-life situation.

• Stylish rule to hide reply buttons in the main Mafia IV thread:

/*Mafia protections*/
    section[data-topic-id="54455"] button[class*="create"],
    section[data-topic-id="54455"] button[data-action="like"],
    section[data-topic-id="54455"] button[data-action="reply"] {
        display: none;
    }

Code released under the IDGACWYDWI License:

I Don't Give A Crap What You Do With It License
    Version 1, February 2016

Copyright © 2016 RaceProUK

Everyone is permitted to copy and distribute verbatim or modified
    copies of this license document, and changing it is allowed as long
    as the name is changed.

I Don't Give A Crap What You Do With It
    Terms and Conditions for Copying, Distribution and Modification

0. Do what you like, because I don't give a crap ;)

Added hiding the Likes button on @Yamikuronue's suggestion

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

@TwelveBaud said:

Late in the game, ask yourself why people are still alive.

No. Seriously, no. If the Mafia is experienced, it will abuse that kind of logic and keep the players alive who figured it out so that the town kills them during the day.

Is there a rule against direct replies?

Edit: Ah, it's for spectators? Nevermind then.

• This will be very useful for me, as this is the first game I haven't played in.

It's very kind of you to not include a no-warranty clause in your license. When Discourse inevitably messes something up I'll know who to blame. :)

• It makes a good base for an edit one though. Now I have a post in here to edit, I will try and convert it...

@abarker said:

Always lynch confirmed liars.

There are situations in which a townie may lie, but should not be lynched (i.e. it's known that (s)he has a special role, so (s)he now needs to make the scum think that the role is an unimportant one). I'd be careful with that rule.

• A version of @RaceProUK 's button hiding stylish for players.

/*Mafia protections for players*/
    section[data-topic-id="54455"] button[class*="delete"], 
    section[data-topic-id="54455"] button[data-action="edit"] {
    }

• mod

Didn't I post mine last time? :)

section[data-topic-id='51593'] button[data-action='edit'] {
    }

section[data-topic-id='52936'] button[data-action='edit'] {
    }

section[data-topic-id='53816'] button[data-action='edit'] {
    }

section[data-topic-id='54455'] button[data-action='edit'] {
    }

Also, the spectator one might want to hide the like button as well.

• @asdf said:

@TwelveBaud said:
    Late in the game, ask yourself why people are still alive.

No. Seriously, no. If the Mafia is experienced, it will abuse that kind of logic and keep the players alive who figured it out so that the town kills them during the day.

You can WIFOM all you like, but even an experienced Mafia can't afford to have a living abarker around for long to galvanize the town around, or table-meister Dreikin exposing them through raw statistical power. They've got to go fast, so if they don't, obviously something's up.

• mod

@TwelveBaud said:

You can WIFOM all you like, but even an experienced Mafia can't afford to have a living abarker around for long to galvanize the town around

Yeah, because my conclusions have always been so accurate. :rolleyes:

I'm actually going to start taking a more backseat attitude to try and let others lead the town, when possible.

• From Reverse Mafia's Club Ded:

@abarker said:

Ouch:
    @Tsaukpaetra said:
    Side note: Sorry @Heterodox, wasn't intentional and then I just read this PM thread afterward.

Pro Tip: When you are in the Supr Sekret Group: make sure you know who else is in the group!

My personal tip: Don't do whatever @captain did. Seriously, that was the worst town play I've ever seen.

• mod

Agreed. There is always time to turn the lynch wagon around right up until the hammer drops. Never give up.

• OK OK I learned my lesson. Sorry for making the game not fun for others. I wasn't trying to mess it up for other people.

At least I did have some fun role playing, though.

Maybe "nutjub" should be an assigned role with a minor power? I saw people were being assigned stuff like "The Riddler."

• mod

@asdf said:

My personal tip: Don't do whatever @captain did. Seriously, that was the worst town play I've ever seen.

Yes! Suicide is not the way out of a difficult defensive situation. And as we saw on Day 2 of Mafia IV, it doesn't always work out the way you plan.

• mod

@abarker said:

Suicide is not the way out of a difficult [...] situation

Also, protip for life.

The suicide was the worst part, but I also cannot understand why he'd continue digging a hole for himself after he figured out nobody agreed with him.

@Captain said:

OK OK I learned my lesson.

In this case, I won't hold a grudge. ;)

@heterodox said:

Pro Tip: When you are in the Supr Sekret Group: make sure you know who else is in the group!

Paging @SuperSekretPMGroup

• @Yamikuronue said:

Agreed. There is always time to turn the lynch wagon around right up until the hammer drops. Never give up.

It's a nice flavor for this game, though, especially since those were basically forced suicides. "Now, Mr. @Captain, here's a piece of paper and a pen, you will write as we say: 'I am very sorry...'"

Suicide-by-mod under a lynchwagon is actually a pretty potent tactic for the Town (basically giving them infinite lynchings during the day), but @PleegWat gave up way too early.

@heterodox said:

From Reverse Mafia's Club Ded:

@abarker said:

Ouch:
    @Tsaukpaetra said:
    Side note: Sorry @Heterodox, wasn't intentional and then I just read this PM thread afterward.

Also, yes. Goddammit, you almost grabbed me just because I got on one bus and feigned confusion about the rules! Not only did I actually not know how PM threads work, I tried to blend in!

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@Maciejasjmj said:

feigned confusion about the rules!

Yeah, this was literally my only note I had about you.
    Selected Quotes from my Role PM:

@Tsaukpaetra said:

@Maciejasjmj is intelligent and probably dangerous. It will be difficult to fool him. . Voted for @heterodox

@Maciejasjmj made a comment seems to indicate he is a townie, due to not knowing how the faction threads work. Also voted for @DoctorJones, but switched to @PleegWat, rescinded after he suicided.

@Maciejasjmj (Townie?) voted @Yamikuronue

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Suicide-by-mod under a lynchwagon is actually a pretty potent tactic for the Town (basically giving them infinite lynchings during the day),

That, by the way, is why those kinds of suicides trigger consequences most other places: day's end if you're town, or day extension if you're scum.

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Yeah, this was literally my only note I had about you.

Well, I tried to investigate myself at N1 to send you a note that I'm a Traitor, but @abarker didn't let me.

I really thought you had that figured out, given that @fbmac liked the post where I made a lame attempt to push the codeword through:

@Maciejasjmj said:

I know we're all quick to sling unverified accusations

Another Mafia tip, don't try to hide messages in plain sight. It won't work.

@Maciejasjmj said:

the codeword

There was a codeword?!

@Maciejasjmj said:

liked the post
    Strangely enough, I don't usually check who likes posts. ;)

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

There was a codeword?!

Yeah, the whole "quicksilver" thing. Lesson for today - next time we plan an action, use a cryptonym that makes some damn sense.

@Tsaukpaetra said:

Strangely enough, I don't usually check who likes posts. :wink:

I saw @fbmac and you going around liking stuff, and wasn't sure what to make of it.

Also, @fbmac, you really like to see your name on the vote record, don't you? I really had to stop myself from calling you out on it.

@Maciejasjmj said:

you really like to see your name on the vote record, don't you?

No, he's just uber compulsive. The difference is that the bot keeps a history of his compulsiveness. :P

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.