A butt complains about web development, all wacky hipsters get dudehurt

• Dupa

@Onyx said:

Everything else being equal, I'd choose PHP over JS for 99% of the tasks.

QFT.

@Arantor said:

JS for all its retardary still seems more cromulent than the Personal Hell Pit.

Well, how? It has no core framework, has broken OOP support and broken error reporting. For all that's broken in PHP, it's at least a bit better.

• PHP has so many gotchas to remember though, and JS, well, doesn't seem to have so many, in exchange for a shitty core library and shitty everything else.

• :belt_onion:

@xaade said:

@Onyx said:
    Yes, it's abandoned now, after 95% of people stopped caring anyway once HTML5 video started popping up on the web, and Chrome/Chromium had their own implementation for the other 5%.

I have to say, it's things like this that make browsers so bloated.

Oh, let's not spin up something external to handle video, let's build it into the browsers, that way every browser process uses half a gig of memory just to load a text file.

On the bright side, you won't get your entire computer pwnd when someone figures out how to exploit that process jump

• Dupa

@Arantor said:

PHP has so many gotchas to remember though, and JS, well, doesn't seem to have so many, in exchange for a shitty core library and shitty everything else.

Well, it's probably you who's right, after all it's you that has to struggle with that shit day-in day-out.

Still, it might be an exposure thing, or the fact that I've never used PHP for any large project, but personally, writing JS just physically pains me, while writing PHP can be fun. Maybe I've drunk too much of Laravel Kool-Aid, though -- Laravel is extremely fun to work with as a rule and thanks to Otwell's background, it's at least a bit dot-netty. 😄

Yeah, I'm kinda the other way around 😄

JS is... fun... probably because it lets me try out a totally different style from what I'm used to.

PHP feels like it's a bunch of hacks compiled into a "working" product.

• @sloosecannon said:

PHP feels like it's a bunch of hacks compiled into a "working" product.

To me, it felt like every line of code belonged to another language.

• After reading through the article and its replies, it feels like the all too common mistake of programming. People don't bother taking the time to evaluate the technology used to build with, because they do what they know.

People are complaining that he use the venting effort to make it better, should damn well know better. Not only would he have to break apart the abstraction level and understand it, he'd also have to get it past the herd-mentality of pull requests.

The web is not only about cat pictures anymore. When the needs are growing in complexity, the technologies have to follow. Get used to it.

It's crap because it needs to be crap? Is that really the sentiment here?

There's a difference between critiquing something without offering a better solution, and wanting to wholesale regulate or shut down something without offering a better solution. I'm ok with random critiques. It's a little different in politics where the critiques are usually associated with a desire for aimless censorship or regulation "because we have to do something, and we have to do something right now" attitude.

Imgur, really appreciate you bringing in React on a page.. to display a fucking image.

This goes back to my point earlier. Websites are really starting to gobble up memory like it's a never-ending resource. I mean, I have fully featured apps that use less memory than a browser does when the primary purpose of the site is to load one picture and 5 comments.

@xaade said:

herd-mentality of pull requests

o.O

• whatever mechanism for peer-review.

I mean, it serves its purpose, but if you're up against a slew of zombies that are stuck on liking something, how are you going to convince them it needs to change.

You might say, "it's obviously better". But it's not so obvious when you realize that programming language skills tend to be sticky.

Based on his complaints, I don't think he can "make it better", because the problems he lists are fundamental to the technologies themselves.

• FoxDev

@xaade said:

I mean, I have fully featured apps that use less memory than a browser does when the primary purpose of the site is to load one picture and 5 comments.

And 3658734210568793402567843207834758329073904.8 ads

@xaade said:

whatever mechanism for peer-review.

Pull requests are approved by project owners, generally. There's not really a herd mentality about them

• That's another thing.

I often visit nexus mods site, and they have a bitch reminder about ads supporting their site, but the reason I don't give a damn, is that their site rotates ads without navigating.

So if I have 10 tabs open, those tabs are just constantly refreshing the ads, spinning and downloading.

Another problem with ads, is when the ads imitate the feature image you're looking for. When you go to cnet downloads, and every ad on their download page has a download button. When you go to a news article and every ad on their page has a next button.

I don't block ads because I'm cheap. I block ads because sites use them irresponsibly.

@xaade said:

I don't block ads because I'm cheap. I block ads because sites use them irresponsibly.

+ ∞

• @sloosecannon said:

There's not really a herd mentality about them

not mechanically.

But in reality, there's this social aspect where you have to convince everyone they're wrong before you end up convincing the product owner.

@xaade said:

before you end up convincing the product owner.

Why?

If you can make a good case for a change, why would you need to convince anyone else?

• @sloosecannon said:

If you can make a good case for a change, why would you need to convince anyone else?

Because his case is that the overusage of technologies is flawed. How does he put that into a pull request.

"Hey, here's this pull request to wipe out all your code."

There's nothing to fix. It's behavior that's a problem, not the code.

And yet someone was like, "Stop bitching, and like, make it better, yo!" "Contribute to open source". And I'm like, well, he has to get past the herd, It's more than just a pull request, it's a fundamental rethinking of how technology is used.

I apologize for using the term "pull request".

But, my experience with GitHub projects is that there tends to be this oligarchy that surrounds the project owner, and their software wouldn't be the way it is if the group think wasn't in place.

• BINNED

@RaceProUK said:

And 3658734210568793402567843207834758329073904.8 ads

Is .8 of an ad that broken Flash one where only a section loaded properly and the rest just barfed up an error?

• FoxDev

Either that, or a JavaScript one that spams the dev console with error messages

• Anything written in JS can and probably will go fuck itself at some point in it's lifecycle. The problem is that these microservices/pluginsthatplugnothinginanddonothing are actually useful in small scale tutorials that these jackasses love to write about on medium. "Look how easy it is to build a simple poll module!!" Great, but I want to build a comments module. What do you mean "fuck you, that's not how this works"?

Seriously, enough build systems. Nobody needs another iteration of grunt (but with a fancy new command name). These are all open source projects. Doesn't do what you want it to? Fork it and make it happen. Big ol' waste of time to write your own system. Yet, ironically (?), this is literally the first critique of the article!

I think it's because all these things are new to FE devs, while backend code (regardless of the language) has always been less shitty than JS and CSS. "We don't have classes in our JS, lets write a thing that makes classes!!", etc.

• BINNED

You mean like this?

Oh, no, wait, that's just :disco: 🎠

• FoxDev

@aapis said:

"We don't have classes in our JS, lets write a thing that makes classes!!", etc.

Class syntax was added in ES6 ;)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@xaade said:

anecdotal

That was implied by his very next words, "I've ever heard of".

But IME Linux Flash support was mostly lagged behind Windows, too.

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

But IME Linux Flash support was mostly lagged behind Windows, too.

I think that was everyone's experience

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@xaade said:

their site rotates ads without navigating.

You know what's even worse than that? 5 minutes or so after the page loads, loading an autoplay video ad with sound. Wowhead used to do that ALL THE TIME, and then you have to sift through all 17 tabs you have open (this was before the speaker in the tab in Chrome), and then scroll down 23 screens to find the talking ad, which was invariably at the bottom of the page. Eventually I got sick of that bullshit and unwhitelisted them.

• @FrostCat said:

loading an autoplay video ad with sound

I can top that.

As you say, loading the sound later, but since there are so many ad spots on the page, the same ad loads minutes later, and you get hit with three layers of the same ad sounds slightly behind each other.

• @Onyx said:

we have to be ready for those people with dual 4k screens!

I am ready for them already. Got my trusty cluebat right here...

• @Onyx said:

And while inconsistent indentation in C/C++/JS/PHP/WhatTheFuckEver makes it ugly and harder to read, at least I can always count on my editor to find matching brackets. And even autoindent shit and NOT accidentally mess up the body of my if statement in the process, guaranteed.

It also means that you can run your code through an automated formatter ans recover the correct indentation. Python, eh, not so much, as there's no way to indicate the end of a block outside of the indentation itself.

• @boomzilla said:

Tired of Querying in Antiquated SQL?

:wtf:

Such statements usually scream, "WAAAAA! I DON'T WANNA LEARN SQL!" to me.

• @antiquarian said:

Someone obviously believes that new is good and old is bad. Just show him your :belt_onion:, tell him to get off your lawn, and move on.

Or, if you're the type to onebox a Wikipedia article whenever someone commits a logical fallacy:

• I love how the title implies that there are times when wacky hipsters aren't butthurt.

So...

You'd like a way...

To shut down somebody else's project...

wtf?

• I did not say that.

@xaade said:

here's this pull request to wipe out all your code

@xaade said:

I did not say that.

?

• That was a satirical statement.

@xaade said:

That was a satirical statement.

Didn't look very satirical to me...

• OP says, we need to rethink how and when we use which libraries.

Detractor says, STFU and contribute.

Illogical statement, because it would mean a pull request to wipe out the project... I mean... how else do you explain that you can't "contribute" to a project if you mean to say, "in these cases, don't use project X".

• Guess what. People sometimes do that.

It's the equivalent of buying a book and then tearing the pages out in front of the author. The author doesn't lose anything, and you're only making yourself look stupid. It's basically throwing a GitHub tantrum.

• I only need this to give me an idea of how seriously to take that guy.

+Deepest apologies for creating a project that furthered the sexism
    +prevalent in our industry.

• The real question is how seriously he takes himself.

• and many others, appreciate a good dick joke every now and then, but this isn't being seen as a joke by everyone

Oh, please, god of jokes, let me know how to correctly form a dick joke without it being viewed as violent.

@ben_lubar said:

The real question is how seriously he takes himself.

I'm not in favor of this particular PR, but I would recommend you revisit the language and tone.

Answer, not very.

this is not just a dick joke but a dick joke clearly written by a man with no empathy towards women

You drop empathy when you joke... that's part of what makes it a joke. Mature people UNDERSTAND THIS

😦

this is embarrassingly clownish and further deepens my shame at being a part of the tech industry

Really....? serious depression issues. I would like to recommend a psychologist, because this is an unhealthy concern for issues that don't affect you unless you give them undue attention.

And as a bisexual genderqueer individual the only thing I find offensive is that the automatic presumption by those of you complaining is that the only person who would like a penis inside of them is a female. It's a heteronormative worldview, and you all need to check your privilege.

I just found anti - @Fox

People who behave like this are not acting at all professional, and I sincerely hope that as an industry we do not ignore obvious, public evidence of sexism in our hiring decisions.

So, we have to act professional 24/7.

Yeah, I'm done with the internet.

• @xaade said:

I just found anti - @Fox

How is that anti-@Fox? If anything, that's @Fox's twin brother or something.

• Laziness by default gets a lot of complaints, since it makes Haskell performance analysis hard.

It's also a "TMTOWTDI" (there's more than one easy to do it) language, at all levels.

People don't like the many operators, but they're whiners.

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

jQuery is a DOM library, not a JavaScript library

I'm pretty sure DOM and Javascript are the same thing. Haven't you said something along those lines before?

• ♿ (Parody)

You can tell he's wrong here because otherwise it would be dQuery.

• @Jaloopa said:

@blakeyrat said:
    jQuery is a DOM library, not a JavaScript library

I'm pretty sure DOM and Javascript are the same thing. Haven't you said something along those lines before?

No, I'm the one that pointed out that DOM was created as part of JavaScript. Blakey's the one that gets upset if you equate the two as being the same.

• So how can I use jQuery with NodeJS?

• kills Dumbledore

Definitely Blakey, here

@blakeyrat said:

JavaScript is the same as DOM

(Discosearch actually worked!)

• inb4 blakey :moving_goal_post:

• @Arantor said:

inb4 blakey :moving_goal_post:

Read the other post before you claim :moving_goal_post:.