What's not to hate?

• The evil Java installer (the Sun Java and IBM Java also collide if you install DB/2 on the same machine)

The horrors of reinstallation (ever try it on Win32? ... plan to spend all day doing something that should be trivial)

Tsnames.ora (frothing pools of lameness form a vortex leading to the very core of the spirit of lame)

The unfathomably lame Oracle tool set (SERIOUSLY -- is there anyone on earth who doesn't prefer TOAD?)

Multiple Oracle Homes  - who or what can save us from this wretched river of lameness?

• @ora_h8r said:

The evil Java installer (the Sun Java and IBM Java also collide if you install DB/2 on the same machine)

I've never had an issue with the installer.  Yea, it could probably be better, but IMO, that was the easiest way to have one installer for multiple platforms.  Also, IMO the windows one is the worst, but it runs rather well on Solaris/Unix

@ora_h8r said:

The horrors of reinstallation (ever try it on Win32? ... plan to spend all day doing something that should be trivial)

I've had to reinstall Oracle, and on Win32 no less.  It took me about 45 minutes, which I do indeed consider trivial.  I don't know where you're getting the all day thing from.

@ora_h8r said:

Tsnames.ora (frothing pools of lameness form a vortex leading to the very core of the spirit of lame)

I don't get this one either.  TNSNAMES.ora, while it can be a kludge, isn't bad if you write it yourself.  Again, never had an issue with this one.

@ora_h8r said:

The unfathomably lame Oracle tool set (SERIOUSLY -- is there anyone on earth who doesn't prefer TOAD?)

So use Toad.  Nothing says you HAVE to use the Oracle tools.  I've been working on Oracle systems for a while, and am quite alright with using nothing but sqlplus from the command line in unix/dos and toad when I need a GUI tool.. but that doesn't come up very often.

@ora_h8r said:

Multiple Oracle Homes  - who or what can save us from this wretched river of lameness?

I've never had an issue with this one, but then again, I've never had multiple Oracle installations on a single machine.  I can't fathom why you'd need that, unless you were installing multiple versions, and wouldn't you install them to separate directories in that case anyway?

Overall.. I dunno.  I can understand not liking Oracle for some of the crap they've put out, like HR.  I really hate that toolset with a passion.  Overall, their DBMS is good, with some stuff in it that sucks, but again; no one is putting a gun to your head screming 'USE THIS OR I WILL KILL YOU!'.