🔥🔥 MLP Resume Boning :giggity:

• I answered you at the end. As in 'places where there isn't an explicit HR department. an individual person (a la Polygeekery)'

Now you're the one who is :moving_goal_post:

• So you would consider a candidate who thought it appropriate to put a picture of Spongebob on their résumé?

• Yes. Why not?

Maybe he did programming for the Spongebob video game. Maybe not. Who knows.

If the words (you know, the important part) of the resume impressed me, sure I'd bring him in for an interview. Why not?

• Okay, but he didn't say he worked on anything to do with a Spongebob game or anything. He just likes Spongebob.

Do you like working with these types of people?

• @rc4 said:

Do you like working with these types of people?

There's no such thing as a "type of person". That way of thinking leads to Nazi. There's only people.

Would I enjoy working with this person? I'd have to talk to them to know for sure, wouldn't I?

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

Yes. Why not?

Maybe he did programming for the Spongebob video game. Maybe not. Who knows.

If the words (you know, the important part) of the resume impressed me, sure I'd bring him in for an interview. Why not?

Well...it's a damned good thing you are not involved in the vetting process. You would vet all of the candidates by how shiny their resumes are. If I shine a laser pointer on your desk, would you bat your hands at it like a spastic cat?

• If their idea of a good first professional impression involves discussing their love of children's animated shows (for the opposite gender) then what's to say they wouldn't embarass you in front of a client by talking about it on a sales/support call?

• @Polygeekery said:

Well...it's a damned good thing you are not involved in the vetting process.

I've done hiring before.

@Polygeekery said:

You would vet all of the candidates by how shiny their resumes are.

No, I would read the text on them. Crazy concept, I know.

@Polygeekery said:

If I shine a laser pointer on your desk, would you bat your hands at it like a spastic cat?

Yes.

• @rc4 said:

If their idea of a good first professional impression involves discussing their love of children's animated shows (for the opposite gender) then what's to say they wouldn't embarass you in front of a client by talking about it on a sales/support call?

TV shows don't have gender.

And now you're adding requirements to this hypothetical scenario. Fuck that. You know my answer already, stop making the hypothetical more hypothetical and just take it or leave it.

"What is the job position is aboard a Zontax mega-starship from beyond Pluto and its populated purely by sentient sponges who find Spongebob very offensive!?!?!??!?!?!?!?"

@blakeyrat said:

No, I would read the text on them. Crazy concept, I know.

I read the text. That text said that he was childish and unprofessional. The graphics and bright colors only reinforce that impression.

• @rc4 said:

children's animated shows (for the opposite gender)

Don't go there.

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

We're talking about why POSTERS ON DAILYWTF would reject it, not why huge corporate boring HR guy would reject it.

Several people have hinted, but apparently nobody's said it explicitly enough for you.

Cultural fit is important. Someone could be a complete whizzkid, but so different in personality from the rest of the team that they would cause friction, or bad morale, or would hate all their coworkers and start looking for a new job immediately. If that happens, they were a bad hire.

This person has made some very bold statements in their choice of style for the resume. This points to a high probability that they have a strong, personality that could be at odds with workmates. It's not a complete, immediate "No" IMO, but if they were one of several qualified candidates it would be worth interviewing them before this person. If they're better than the rest, or one of a few qualified, bring them in for interview but try harder to work out what sort of fit they would be.

Unless the office is full of bronies of course. In that case, they're likely to be a very good fit

• @blakeyrat said:

:arrows:

Point is, it's unprofessional. You can hire great talent, but if they have no social skills and are unprofessional, then they are ripe for a TDWTF story about the cow-orker that screams like a child when he doesn't get his way and can't work with anyone on the team because of how much of a ❄ they are. Your resume is your best professional foot forward. Children's shows are not professional, and are not relevant on a resume. They should be left off. End of story.

• :arrows:

I knew I would get flak for it, but the point is the show WAS ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED FOR GIRLS, REGARDLESS OF WHO WATCHES IT. IT WAS TARGETED AT GIRLS, THAT DOESN'T MEAN GUYS CAN'T WATCH IT. I honestly don't care if you watch it as long as you keep it to yourself. I don't care who watches it, but the show was originally developed to target young girls, and that is an indisputable fact. I didn't say guys couldn't watch it. They can.

Better?

• Dude. Stop saying it's unprofessional. We went down that road. Came back. Went down it again. That point is trampled on.

And you, with your "types of people" and your "TV shows have gender" are striking me as particularly fascist, so fuck off. I no longer care what you think if I even slightly did before.

• Oh, I see. Poe's law.

@blakeyrat said:

There's no such thing as a "type of person". That way of thinking leads to Nazi. There's only people.

OK @Fox.

There are "types of people". For example, you are a contentious bastard. That is a type of person.

• @rc4 said:

I knew I would get flak for it, but the point is the show WAS ORIGINALLY DEVELOPED FOR GIRLS,

Prove that.

• Oh god. "You can't prove something that is totally obvious! How does marketing even!?!?!?"

Here:

My Little Pony is an entertainment franchise developed by Hasbro which is marketed primarily to girls

[source]

• Whoa, an unverified claim on Wikipedia? How's it that nobody's tagged that with a [citation needed] yet?

• @rc4 said:

I didn't say guys couldn't watch it. They can.

They why did you emphasize that it is a show that is targetted for girls?
    It has to have some sort of significance to you.

• Are you scared of TEH GAYZ taking over? Are you scared that girls might be encouraged to do male things? Do you want me to quit my job and work as a waitress?

• Just as Michael Bay's film had helped to boost the new Transformers toy line, Hasbro wanted to retool the My Little Pony franchise and update it to better suit the current demographic and taste of young girls.

From the series creator, Lauren Faust

You people are incorrigible. "OH WELL IT DOESN'T EXPLICITLY SAY SOMETHING THAT IS TOTALLY OBVIOUS, SO YOU NEED TO GO FIND AN INTERVIEW THAT SAYS EXACTLY THAT. GOD I DON'T KNOW MARKETING"

@blakeyrat said:

Dude. Stop saying it's unprofessional. We went down that road. Came back. Went down it again. That point is trampled on.

Just because you insist on being wrong does not make that our problem.

Filed under: Body too similar...

• Pfft. Wikipedia?

Surely with the 578,034 interviews with Lauren Faust out there you can find something better than that.

• No, I don't give a shit. I don't GIVE A SHIT. It was LITERALLY DEVELOPED FOR LITTLE GIRLS, REGARDLESS OF WHO WATCHES IT. THAT IS A FACT, NOT AN OPINION. THE SERIES CREATOR EVEN CONFIRMED IT IN AN INTERVIEW:

you will handily notice that I never once said guys can't watch it. I said it was not targeted at them, it was targeted at a completely separate demographic. But no, ignore that, because I'm totally transphobic or whatever.

• I'm on your side. I was just being snarky because Wikipedia didn't have a citation for that particular claim.

• I was just trolling him.

I feel my work here is done.

• @aliceif said:

Are you scared of TEH GAYZ taking over? Are you scared that girls might be encouraged to do male things? Do you want me to quit my job and work as a waitress?

@rc4 said:

No, I don't give a shit. I don't GIVE A SHIT. It was LITERALLY DEVELOPED FOR LITTLE GIRLS, REGARDLESS OF WHO WATCHES IT. THAT IS A FACT, NOT AN OPINION. THE SERIES CREATOR EVEN CONFIRMED IT IN AN INTERVIEW:

Jeesh, you people really get worked up over a dumb cartoon.

For little kids.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

He didn't say that it did.

What if the resume had lots of typos?

• Perhaps, but I needed to make up for my weekend posting drought.

• If it's any consolation to you, I've had relations with another man before. But clearly I am *phobic for stating that targeted marketing is a thing.

• @rc4 said:

If their idea of a good first professional impression involves discussing their love of children's animated shows (for the opposite gender) then what's to say they wouldn't embarass you in front of a client by talking about it on a sales/support call?

@rc4 said:

children's animated shows (for the opposite gender)

If the fact that it's for the opposite gender doesn't matter to you, why do you emphasize it?

@blakeyrat said:

I was just trolling him.

No you weren't. You are a Brony.

Picture of blakey:

• Because it seems especially out-of-place that way? And anyone with knowledge of how to act professionally would realize that a resume is not the time to act like a ❄?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

For little kidsgirls.

FTFY

• @rc4 said:

out-of-place that way

You are making gender-targetting a bigger deal than it is and would prefer it if girls wouldn't do techy things.

• @boomzilla said:

What is the Zarcoz aliens hate typos too!!!

• @aliceif said:

and would prefer it if girls wouldn't do techy things

🍓👨

Never. Ever. Did I say that. Or imply it. Nor do I believe that, nor do I feel that way, nor will I ever find that an acceptable attitude to have.

@aliceif said:

You are making gender-targetting a bigger deal than it is and would prefer it if girls wouldn't do techy things.

You are putting words in his mouth and ascribing intentions that no other person would reasonably infer.

• @rc4 said:

Never. Ever. Did I say that. Or imply it. Nor do I believe that, nor do I feel that way, nor will I ever find that an acceptable attitude to have.

Oh right, boy things are good, girl things bad.

That kind of thinking.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

@boomzilla said:

What is the Zarcoz aliens hate typos too!!!

Sure, why not?

@aliceif said:

That kind of thinking.

Yeah, he did not say that either...

• @aliceif said:

That kind of thinking.

That's not what I'm saying, stop strawmanning my argument.

The fact that you are a middle-aged male that likes a show tageted at females under the age of 12 is strange, in my opinion, but I do not care if you do so. However, that is different, and in Corporate America­™ we like our people to conform within reasonable limits. I would feel uncomfortable working with someone who turned in a resume like that, and that is my right to feel that way. However, if they liked the show and didn't talk about it in the workplace, I wouldn't give a shit. I would find it equally strange if I worked with a 40-year-old that liked Thomas The Tank Engine (which is targeted more at boys than girls, but both demographics are fans of it I am sure).

• @aliceif said:

That kind of thinking.

You know, the gender targeting thing doesn't even bother me. That's not the issue. If a prospective candidate's resume had had a Sesame Street theme for no perceivable reason, I'd have just as much fun feeding it into the shredder.

Your resume is an example of how you communicate in a professional environment, and that's not it.

• You know I was kind of joking before, but you seriously are like three Seig Heils from being Hermann Goering, aren't you.

@rc4 said:

I would find it equally strange if I worked with a 40-year-old that liked Thomas The Tank Engine (which is targeted more at boys than girls, but both demographics are fans of it I am sure).

What if he's just into model railroads, and admires the huge detailed one they use for the show?

Or would you reject a 40-year-old who was into model railroads, too?

I think there's a word for this. What is it? Oh yeah: prejudice.

@rc4 said:

The fact that you are a middle-aged male that likes a show tageted at females under the age of 12 is strange, in my opinion, but I do not care if you do so. However, that is different, and in Corporate America­™ we like our people to conform within reasonable limits. I would feel uncomfortable working with someone who turned in a resume like that, and that is my right to feel that way. However, if they liked the show and didn't talk about it in the workplace, I wouldn't give a shit. I would find it equally strange if I worked with a 40-year-old that liked Thomas The Tank Engine (which is targeted more at boys than girls, but both demographics are fans of it I am sure).

@anotherusername said:

You know, the gender targeting thing doesn't even bother me. That's not the issue. If a prospective candidate's resume had had a Sesame Street theme for no perceivable reason, I'd have just as much fun feeding it into the shredder.

Some people don't realize that there are things that people might find strange, but don't really give a shit about, but would also find massively unprofessional on a resume.

I don't care if grown men dig MLP. I really don't. I mean, if you have an every day persona built around it, I will find it very odd and most probably annoying. But I still don't give a shit. It still does not belong on a resume.

• @rc4 said:

resume

@anotherusername said:

resume

I was never talking about resumes, I was talking about how @rc4 brought gender roles into a discussion that should have nothing to do with them.

Yes, that resume is unprofessional (I hope blakey doesn't see this line).
    Yes, MLP is a kids show.
    But would it really be so much better if he made it look like something from Star Trek instead?

@aliceif said:

But would it really be so much better if he made it look like something from Star Trek instead?

It would be very marginally better. Not much, and it would still end up with me shitcanning his resume. But it would be ever so slightly better.