Mafia III: Bushido Mafia

• mod

Welcome to Mafia III: Bushido: A Mafia Story! You should have received your role PM by now. If you have not, PM me immediately

• mod

#THE RULES
    ##Basic rules

1. If you are not playing, do not post in this thread. If you wish to comment, we have a lovely spectator plan! PM me and I will add you to “Club Ded”, which is where all the spectators, dead players and other assorted awesome people hang out. You can even spy on my notes, which are the canonical record of what all has actually happened and what all can actually happen.
    2. This is a Closed Setup Game. This means you do not know what roles are in
    3. Each Player will be given a Role Card via PM. This role card will contain:
    4. The Role the player is playing and a brief description of its mechanics.
    5. Any special modifiers or rules specific to that player and a description of the mechanics involved.
    6. A Flavor description for the type of role you have been assigned.
    7. Players may voluntarily quit at any time for any reason. PM me and you will immediately die and be added to Club Ded. This will appear ingame as a suicide.

##Setup

1. This is a closed-setup game. I will not confirm or deny the presence of any roles at any time other than death-flip.
    2. This is not a Bastard game. You have no powers not contained in your role PMs, and the death-flip is a full reveal.

##Player Conduct.

1. Do not edit your posts. Do not edit your posts. You may play Russian roulette to fix typos and the like, but if an edit pencil appears, you're out. Do not edit your posts.
    2. Unless otherwise specified in your role PM, do not discuss the game with another player, living or dead. Also don't use an intermediary or other such system. All game discussion happens in the thread for all to see, or not at all.
    3. Do not copy-paste from any out-of-thread communication. Paraphrasing is okay, but direct C+P is forbidden because the result is too "suspiciously legitimate".
    4. If you are not a live player, do not post in the thread. Dead players may not post in this thread. Keep your post-death cursing for Club Ded.
    5. Do not encrypt your posts. Do not post in a language other than English. Do not alter your posts in any way. Do not post using your steganographic code from your secondary school clique. Do not use the last-visited or last-posted date or time. Do not post an image from SnapChat, Imgur, or other image services that let your change or delete them. Do not make $1,000 bets that you're not Mafia. Do not taunt @blakeyrat . (Essentially, the entire contents of the thread should be visible to everyone at all times, and actions outside of Mafia should not drive decisions inside Mafia, nor vice versa.)
    6. Do not use actions that you do not have.
    7. Do post at least once every 24 hours or risk Mod Wrath. Private threads do not count for this rule, as that may accidentally confirm Scum.
    8. Discussion may occur in officially ordained threads at all times. You know a PM thread is official if I’m on it. If I'm not on it, you are breaking rule PC2.
    9. ASK QUESTIONS. If you don’t understand something, PM me. If you think the rest of the game needs to know the answer, post the question in the thread. If you think your PM thread needs to know the answer, post the question there.
      If you need my attention (daytime action that needs immediate attention, you guys think you’ve reached a verdict, etc.), you can expedite resolution by emailing me at yamikuronue@sockdrawer.io.
    10. Vote commands are “@vote for @Yamikuronue” to, for instance, vote for me and “@vote @unvote” to remove your vote. You may also “@vote for @nolynch” to cast your vote against lynching anybody on this day. These should be in lines to themselves, and there cannot be more than one bot command per post, as the bot tracks post numbers for easy linking.
    11. Roleplay is heavily encouraged.

##Game phases
    The game will take part in 3 phases:

1. Dawn
      PMs will be sent containing the resolutions to night time actions. No player action necessary. For all intents and purposes you can consider this instantaneous
    2. Day
      All players will participate in open discussions in the main thread. Players will vote
      to lynch a player until a majority consensus has been reached. Players with
      daytime actions shall submit them via PM.
    3. Night
      Players with nighttime actions will submit them via PM.

The game will begin soon. Please hold for the opening post.

• mod

• mod

##Bushido: A Mafia Story
    It is the the 512th year of the Generation Ship Kujaku’s flight from the smouldering wreckage of its homeland. While the writings of the Ancestors indicate that many had hoped the drastic changes required to change from a thriving colony into a cramped generation ship would result in political and social upheaval, their wishes were not granted; the Seven Families remain just as firmly in power aboard the Kujaku as they ever did in Colony 47B. For those in or related to the Seven Families, live remains quite palatable; the difficult work of maintaining the ship, the crop farms, and the other drudgeries required for comfortable living belongs to those servants and peasants who either descended from the lower class or have been cut off from their original Family for some sin.

Even among the Seven, there are distinctions. The Crane family perches firmly atop the highest rung of society, thanks in part to their access codes which grant them entry to the navigational center of the ship and the most secret files in the shipboard computer. Toppling them from that perch would be nigh impossible without an outright war between the families, and that would get... messy in such close quarters. The second-most powerful family is the Wolf family, lean and hungry and eager to gobble up any scraps the Cranes let fall from their fat and equally-greedy fingers. Therefore, it is with great relish that they have engaged the younger son of the family head, @cloak15 Wolf, to a cousin of the main Crane line, @accalia Crane.

The wedding has taken over the entire top floor of the ship. Exterior chambers, where the stars can clearly be seen and gazed upon, are much coveted and primarily owned by the Seven; the top floor, having a glass roof in some areas, is therefore extremely valuable space. There are smaller chambers that have been converted into living spaces, as the festivities cover a good week of merriment and idleness, as well as larger chambers which house hydroponic gardens full of frivolities like flowers and exotic fruits. A tourist destination, of sorts.

Everyone who’s anyone is here, gathered, for the first day of revelry; everyone, that is, apart from the two Daimyos themselves, who are far too important to show up before midweek. Security is tight, with several Samurai of both clans seated right beside the table with the merry couple. Which is why it’s all the more surprising when, just after the toast, everyone at the high table drops dead. Bride, groom, Best Man @loopback0 Wolf, Chief Bodyguard @dreikin Crane, even the bride’s aging grandfather, @boomzilla Crane.

During the initial panic, several think to call the Daimyos, seeking instruction. The top floor is sealed almost as soon as the call is placed; both Daimyos, understandably furious, agree that this mystery must be solved as soon as possible, preferably before anyone else gets killed. Until the perpetrators are brought to justice, they reason, everyone in the room is a suspect -- and that means everyone in the room is a prisoner.

• mod

#Reference info

##The Seven Clans

For reference, the seven clans, in order of most prestigious to least, are:

1. Crane
    2. Wolf
    3. Snake
    4. Bear
    5. Monkey
    6. Shark
    7. Falcon

##Non-Editing Stylish Rule
    If you would like a Stylish rule to prevent you from accidentally editing, you can use this one:

section[data-topic-id='53816'] button[data-action='edit'] {
        display: none;
    }

##Bot Commands

• Vote: @­vote for @­yamikuronue
    • Unvote: @­vote for @­unvote
    • List votes: @­vote list-votes
    • Show living players: @­vote list-players
    • Show all players: @­vote list-all-players

• mod

##Day 1 Begins

It is now Day 1. It will remain Day 1 until January 9th, 2016, at Noon Eastern Standard Time (click for a local time conversion), or until a player has been lynched.

Living players:

• mod

• mod

(... you can post now)

• *Stands up nervously*

Listen up everybody, I know that we are all shocked by the events of today. However, we aren't going to get out of this room until the perpetrators have been identified and brought to justice. Everybody I knew here has been killed, so would everybody be so kind as to introduce themselves?

• Well, let's get this party... um... not quite started.

What... what happened there? God damnit, I did not sign up for this! It was supposed to be a routine courtesy visit!

Either way, name's @Maciejasjmj, I am bound by honor and loyalty to my clan... and I think given the atmosphere, and the fact that there are murderers hidden in plain sight among us, that's all you should know about me for now.

• Don't tell her father I suggested it, but someone check if the bride misspelled the food orders, that poor girl had a serious spelling problem, maybe she ordered something toxic by mistake for their table :sadface:

• You think that the order list wouldn't be checked and re-checked for an event of such great importance to all our clans? Don't be a fool. I may not know much, but I know a cunning murder plot when I see one unveiling right in front of me.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

Agreed! One simply doesn't "mistakenly order toxic food"! Were it so, I seriously question to competence of the kitchen staff to allow such an item to be served, never mind ordered!

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

the kitchen staff

I think it's on that other ship...

• I do not see it as cunning. Cowardly, dishonorable, a method of traitors.

If these traitors wanted the Cranes dead, it should have been with blades in their hands, not poison in their cups.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Agreed friend, but perhaps they have realized the strength of our great Daimyos and determined this was the only way they could pose a threat.

Whatever we do, I feel we must prepare ourselves for a terrible struggle against these unknown adversaries. For all we know, some of them may be among us as we speak. I fear the threat to our society... Even our very existence... Is far from gone

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

Cowardly, dishonorable, a method of traitors.

Well, what else are they? A traitorous method for a traitorous crime, and commited in the day of celebrating the peace between the families. But worry not, the justice will be carried out, and unlike them we shall do it by a fair, proven and reasonable method, not by barbarities, poisons and daggers in the back.

• @sloosecannon said:

For all we know, some of them may be among us as we speak. I fear the threat to our society.

The most dangerous murderer is the one that cares not for their own life. We may have many such people in the room with us now.

@Maciejasjmj said:

But worry not, the justice will be carried out, and unlike them we shall do it by a fair, proven and reasonable method, not by barbarities, poisons and daggers in the back.

Whether it is fair, proven, or reasonable is up for debate. Innocent lives may be lost in the process if we are not careful. However, the method of the majority vote is the only tool we have against these fiends and we must use it as wisely as we can.

• mod

@Placeholder said:

Whether it is fair, proven, or reasonable is up for debate. Innocent lives may be lost in the process if we are not careful. However, the method of the majority vote is the only tool we have against these fiends and we must use it as wisely as we can.

Far be it from me, a member of the Shark clan, to dictate how things should be done, but without further instructions from our Daimyos, I do not think we have much choice other than to follow @Placeholder's suggestion.

• mod

The following people have not posted in 24 hours or more:

@weng
    @Jarry
    @Nocha
    @xaade
    @aliceif
    @reverendryan

Nobody's at risk of being killed right now, because it's both the weekend and the first day of the game, but I wanted to post a check-in in case anyone somehow missed the thread and PM going up :)

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Well, what else are they? A traitorous method for a traitorous crime, and commited in the day of celebrating the peace between the families.

Indeed, it is likely not a coincidence. This act was designed to strike terror into the hearts of all the clans.

@abarker said:

I do not think we have much choice other than to follow @Placeholder's suggestion.

I would tend to agree. The question would seem to be how we begin. We each know in our own hearts we are loyal to our clan, but we know nothing of anyone else. I don't have a suggestion regarding how to proceed; if we accuse at random, we are likely to find innocents, but we have precious little else at our disposal.

• @reverendryan said:

This act was designed to strike terror into the hearts of all the clans.

We can all agree with this. Even as a junior clan member, I can see the political ramifications of this vile deed are huge. Five members of the esteemed Wolf and Crane clans are dead, in what is a bold malicious deed.

It occurs to me to ask, who gains the most from these deaths? I do not dare to point fingers as to who might have plotted or committed this repugnant deed, but I do ask those of you more senior to myself to consider this question in the coming days.

• area_deu

One thing's for sure - this situation could have some dire consequences for all of us.

• mod

##I have set up VoteBot for this thread.

Please use the following command if you want to vote:

@­vote for @­yamikuronue

To unvote:

@­vote for @­unvote

To list votes:
    @­vote list-votes

To list living players:
    @vote list-players

##Player List
    ###Living:

• nocha
    • abarker
    • jarry
    • reverandryan
    • aliceif
    • chaostheeternal
    • xaade
    • weng
    • tsaukpaetra
    • sloosecannon
    • maciejasjmj
    • placeholder
    • fbmac
      ###Mod(s):
    • yamikuronue
    <!-- SockBot/2.11.9 (Cheery Chiffon; owner:yamikuronue; user:vote) 2016-01-03T19:30:07.905Z -->

• mod

@vote list-votes

Votecount for Day 0

Not Voting (13): nocha, abarker, jarry, reverandryan, aliceif, chaostheeternal, xaade, weng, tsaukpaetra, sloosecannon, maciejasjmj, placeholder, fbmac

With 13 playing, it's 7 to lynch!

<!-- SockBot/2.11.9 (Cheery Chiffon; owner:yamikuronue; user:vote) 2016-01-03T19:31:56.104Z -->

• mod

...Sure, bot, we can use 0-indexed days.

Anyway, a reminder: Do not use more than one command per post, as it induces a race condition. The bot will only be updated during the Night phase, which will be a maintenance window for the bot.

Any issues can be reported at https://github.com/yamikuronue/sockMafia/issues . Any unexpected downtime for the bot can be reported to yamikuronue (at) sockdrawer.io

• @vote for @No-Lynch
    I just want to make sure that our vote counting system is working as expected. When the time comes, I will cast a real vote as my duties demand of me.

OOC: I never liked that no-lynch guy. He and that person who created his account look awfully shady to me. :wink:

Who? I'm sorry, @placeholder but your princess is in another castle.
    (no-lynch is not in this game.)

@Placeholder tried to vote for no-lynch in post #29.

Vote text:
    @Placeholder said:

!for @No-Lynch

Who? I'm sorry, @placeholder but your princess is in another castle.

@Placeholder tried to vote for no-lynch in post #29.

Vote text:
    @Placeholder said:

!for @No-Lynch

<!-- SockBot/2.11.9 (Cheery Chiffon; owner:yamikuronue; user:vote) 2016-01-03T21:33:27.834Z -->

• @vote said:

OOC: I beg to differ!

@Yamikuronue said:

You may also “@vote for @no-lynch” to cast your vote against lynching anybody on this day.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

OOC: FWIW the C# script works by having @no-lynch in its player list but optionally suppressing players from all computations and outputs. I do not recommend that course of action for elegance related reasons.

• mod

...The autocomplete fucked it.

##The magic string is:

for @nolynch (no hyphen) or for @unvote

filed issue https://github.com/yamikuronue/sockMafia/issues/7

• mod

@Weng said:

I do not recommend that course of action

That's almost exactly the bodge I used: never count a vote for nolynch in the tally, but if it's your most recent vote, it therefore marks older votes retracted

• @Nocha said:

It occurs to me to ask, who gains the most from these deaths?

well, the wolf clan could gain a lot...

nonetheless, the traditions are clear, we need to discuss and vote until the assasins are dead...

the sad fact is, we are a lot more likely to hang an innocent =(

Perhaps not Wolf, for they have lost one of their own here. However, it was a youngest son. Youngest sons are... Well, youngest sons. Still, there was far more to be gained in marriage than gained in killing.

The Snake, however... No, that would be too obvious. Perhaps Bear. The Bear was always a corrupt symbol, used by both the Communist Californian and Soviet empires!

• @Jarry said:

the wolf clan could gain a lot

The Wolf clan also lose much face from their perceived failure to protect the son of their Daimyo at his own wedding. Not to mention the failure to protect guests at their table.

Were I to be looking for those who were to profit from this, my first attention would be towards the Snake clan. As the third of our great clans, they would benefit the most from the weakening of those two clans above them.

@Jarry I do not know you, and I do not mean this as an accusation, but which of our great clans do you call family? Casting suspicion so quickly on those who have lost so much could be regarded as distasteful by some.

• @Weng said:

there was far more to be gained in marriage than gained in killing.

you're right. this whole thing has taken me by surprise.

@Nocha said:

but which of our great clans do you call family?

for now, i prefer to keep that information for me and my clan, you sure would understand my caution.

@Nocha said:

Casting suspicion so quickly

far from me is the idea of casting suspicion. i'm really appaled by these events. and i want to send my condolences to all the families.

• @Jarry said:

i'm really appaled by these events. and i want to send my condolences to all the families.

I did not mean to suggest otherwise. We are all shocked by the sudden brutality of the situation we find thrust upon us, and each of us is coping in their own manner. For my part, I wish to pay my respects to the deceased and their families by assisting in finding those among us who caused their untimely demise, and ensuring that they face the justice they deserve.

@Jarry said:

for now, i prefer to keep that information for me and my clan, you sure would understand my caution.

I find it suspicious that one would wish to conceal his very name from others, for name is how we determine place, and place is most important of all.

I am @Weng of the cunning Monkey. I serve my third cousin faithfully.

• @Weng said:

I am @Weng of the cunning Monkey. I serve my third cousin faithfully.

My apologies sir. In this disorder, I did not recognise you as I should have done. I am @Nocha, a junior member in your clan. I only hope you can forgive my disrespect, as it was not intended.

Very junior, I would think.

• The question that stirs in my head about this vile act is, would this be an attack from one of the clans? As much as I may dislike some of the clans, I would never think any would stoop to this.

Or is this the action of traitors to all clans, striking out to form their own new clan, by weakening us all, here and now? I would posit that is what we are facing with these cowardly assassinations.

You imply traitors against our very social order? It cannot be a member of our clans, for the only thing that could arise from that is loss of place.

That would imply simple peasants. How would mere peasants even find out about our illustrious proceedings? How could they organize, communicate, plan? They can hardly speak comprehensible Japanese!

• @fbmac said:

but someone check if the bride misspelled the food orders, that poor girl had a serious spelling problem, maybe she ordered something toxic by mistake for their table

Did she order something only that table had access to?

• @ChaosTheEternal said:

If these traitors wanted the Cranes dead, it should have been with blades in their hands, not poison in their cups.

But then that would make it obvious who was at the fault.

I believe they wanted to cast doubt on certain other people.

@Maciejasjmj said:

day of celebrating the peace between the families

That's the point. They want to destroy the peace.

It would be best if we were cautious and did our utmost to preserve the peace between the families.

Having the families destroyed would throw the world into chaos.

@Nocha said:

It occurs to me to ask, who gains the most from these deaths?

Someone who opposes all the people, against order, who only represents themselves.

Remember, the common lives suffer the most from a war between us.

• @Weng said:

You imply traitors against our very social order? It cannot be a member of our clans, for the only thing that could arise from that is loss of place.

Oh, you're wrong. If they - whoever they are - succeeded at their plan, I'm sure the ship would end up with the traitors in power as our clans grow weaker waging a pointless war. They want to disturb the peace, they want to weaken us with infighting.

No, I think we mustn't rule out the possibility that the conspiracy is led and executed by our fellow clansmen. In fact, it's more than likely - do you see any peasants here? No village idiot would come nowhere near close to executing this plan.

No. As much as it saddens me, the traitors can be any of us. And I think it's time to put aside the differences between the clans and work on a solution, since there's nothing to guarantee that even yours, or mine, fellow clansman isn't ready to stab you in the back the moment you turn around.

• mod

@ChaosTheEternal said:

Or is this the action of traitors to all clans, striking out to form their own new clan, by weakening us all, here and now? I would posit that is what we are facing with these cowardly assassinations.

That seems a very vile possibility.

• mod

@Maciejasjmj said:

No. As much as it saddens me, the traitors can be any of us. And I think it's time to put aside the differences between the clans and work on a solution, since there's nothing to guarantee that even yours, or mine, fellow clansman isn't ready to stab you in the back the moment you turn around.

Are you saying that we benefit nothing from revealing our clans? That we should participate freely without concern for our established social order?

• @xaade said:

I believe they wanted to cast doubt on certain other people.

Do you have someone specific in mind, or are you referring to all of us in attendance? We have precious little information at this point, and if you know something you should share it. Knowing who they wanted to cast doubt upon could help lead us to the perpetrator.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.