TDWTF Job Boad - another WTF!



  • OK, I know that the job board is probably bringing in a little revenue for this popular site, and so I'm not going to complain about the fact that it exists on this site - some of the jobs HAVE looked like good, quality, non-WTF jobs posted by intelligent companies and/or recruiters familiar with the IT industry. I also LOVE Bose speakers, but seriously, their job postings are hosted by a big WTF company: http://www.getthejob.com/View.aspx?id=4593036&t=-1&cc=2&q=&l=

    The site doesn't display AT ALL in Firefox. It's an .aspx page for gods sake! Idiots! If you want to attract talented software developers and software people you need to make sure your job listings are available to all, not just those of us who have Windows IE to view your job listing. Not to mention that this makes me question the WTFery that may be going on behind the scenes at Bose with regards to IT software (regardless of how great their audio engineering department is) and the choice of who to hire as a 3rd party vendor. I can understand designing a page to have extra bells and whistles in IE over Firefox or Opera or Konqueror, and even having it not display quite right in non-IE browsers would be sort of understandable if the reason you were using Microsoft only technologies really benefitted the layout, flow, content, and maintainability of your website, but making it completely invisible to those of us without the latest, greatest IE software is a big WTF to me.
     



  • Works fine for me.

    FF 2.0.0.1 on Win 2k



  • It wasn't showing up for me either, and then I turned off ad blocking and it worked fine.



  • @cavemanf16 said:

    OK, I know that the job board is probably bringing in a little revenue for this popular site, and so I'm not going to complain about the fact that it exists on this site - some of the jobs HAVE looked like good, quality, non-WTF jobs posted by intelligent companies and/or recruiters familiar with the IT industry. I also LOVE Bose speakers, but seriously, their job postings are hosted by a big WTF company: http://www.getthejob.com/View.aspx?id=4593036&t=-1&cc=2&q=&l=

    The site doesn't display AT ALL in Firefox. It's an .aspx page for gods sake! Idiots! If you want to attract talented software developers and software people you need to make sure your job listings are available to all, not just those of us who have Windows IE to view your job listing. Not to mention that this makes me question the WTFery that may be going on behind the scenes at Bose with regards to IT software (regardless of how great their audio engineering department is) and the choice of who to hire as a 3rd party vendor. I can understand designing a page to have extra bells and whistles in IE over Firefox or Opera or Konqueror, and even having it not display quite right in non-IE browsers would be sort of understandable if the reason you were using Microsoft only technologies really benefitted the layout, flow, content, and maintainability of your website, but making it completely invisible to those of us without the latest, greatest IE software is a big WTF to me.
     

    Umm.... turn off AdBlock/AdBlock Plus.  Reload that page.  Now come back here and say again how it won't load in Firefox.



  • You do realize that this forum uses aspx pages, correct? So obviously it has nothing to do with aspx extensions.



  • @JohnC said:

    Umm.... turn off AdBlock/AdBlock Plus.  Reload that page.  Now come back here and say again how it won't load in Firefox.

    Ouch!



  • @sirjis said:

    It wasn't showing up for me either, and then I turned off ad blocking and it worked fine.

    Now, maybe you should get some time to pour over the javascript source here :

    https://sjobs.brassring.com/EN/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?jobId=357578&type=search&JobReqLang=1&recordstart=101&JobSiteId=58&JobSiteInfo=357578_58&GQId=0&partnerid=3&siteid=58



  • This was probably the most ridiculous user post I've ever read. Thank you. You've just perfectly illustrated the concept of WTF. You must be a contractor...



  • Brilliant!!!



  • Beyond the obvious WTF of not knowing how to use his browser-of-choice's features, I also just keep wondering what a "Job Boad" is.  (Note, this forum is not the right place to make errors unless you want to be the object of merciless critique.)





  • As someone who writes aspx pages (among other things) for a living, and tests them primarily in Firefox, I'd love to hear the presumed reason for the two being incompatible.

    Mouth.Items.Add(Feet.Random);


  • he is but a simple caveman.



  • @db2 said:

    As someone who writes aspx pages (among other things) for a living, and tests them primarily in Firefox, I'd love to hear the presumed reason for the two being incompatible.

     Well, this may not be caused by aspx itself, but this very same page has 274 warnings according to my "HTML Validator" extension... If your generated code is not clean, there is no wonder it displays incorrectly in some browsers.
     



  • For all the people who say it works fine: there is something strange going on.

    If I disable my Adblock everything is working fine. But when it is enabled (which it is normally) it only goes wrong when I use the link from the Jobs Board. When I copy-paste the url from the OP it works fine (and also when I use IE-tab). 

    Since when does a Adblocker care from which page you came? 

    Edit: even stranger when I re-enabled my Adblock and tried agian it keeps working. 



  • @Quincy5 said:

    Since when does a Adblocker care from which page you came? 

     

    When the webpage displays different ads depending on where you came from. 



  • @acne said:

    @db2 said:

    As someone who writes aspx pages (among other things) for a living, and tests them primarily in Firefox, I'd love to hear the presumed reason for the two being incompatible.

     Well, this may not be caused by aspx itself, but this very same page has 274 warnings according to my "HTML Validator" extension... If your generated code is not clean, there is no wonder it displays incorrectly in some browsers.
     

    A few possibilities:

    • ASP.NET isn't 100% generated HTML. You can still put in all kinds of ugly stuff if you wish.
    • I've seen Tidy bitch about element IDs using XML syntax (probably the "__" at the beginning or something). This usually includes __VIEWSTATE and its kin.
    • Usability warnings like missing alt text on img tags, tables lacking summary attributes, empty spans, etc. also show up in Tidy.

    Looking at the page source of the job posting, though, it appears to be a little of option 3, and a lot of option 1. Holy cow.

    However, the Real WTF™ of this job page is that it's an ASPX that creates a frameset which simply displays a standard ASP 3.0 page. Granted, it's not always necessary or practical to update all your asp pages to aspx, but it's almost like they're hiding it. Heh.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.