Half hour back into ubuntu and I already want to blow my brains out.

• @blakeyrat said:

But if you go to a Linux news website, they'll say stuff like, "Dell is shipping Linux on new laptops!" well obviously they don't mean JUST the kernel by that

If someone says "I have a Windows computer", do you argue with them when they mention editing documents or browsing the internet on it?

• @flabdablet said:

and the documentation sucks.

• @Gurth said:

regardless of whether it needs root access or not

Well, if they're creating all their files as root, they'll need to edit them as root as well.

• @LB_ said:

@Forgotmylogin1 said:
    I just need a freaking terminal with freaking python?
    Why do you need linux for that?

I was wondering about that too. The only simple explanation I can come up with is that the script needs to be tested to work under Linux (or *nix in general).

@ben_lubar said:

Well, if they're creating all their files as root, they'll need to edit them as root as well.

The times I come across superfluous sudos, it was usually for commands that don’t create or modify files at all. I can’t think of any immediate examples, but some of it I’ve seen approaches the level of sudo cd ~.

• @rc4 said:

No? Unless you're an admin, you should almost never need sudo.

Everyone's an admin on their personal computer.

@Yamikuronue said:

Also, having used linux and not had to type the root password every 15 seconds, I'm wondering if this guy isI am basically the linux version of the "I disable UAC so I can keep everything in C:\Windows" guy.

FTFY
    @flabdablet said:
    Install Debian Testing with Xfce

Now there's another problem of mine: the zillion different versions of Linux, which increases to roughly zillion squared when multiplied by the number of different releases within distros, zillion cubed when taking into account the combinations of each distro with each window manager, and this implies zillion to the fourth different linear combinations of bugs. Windows does have bugs, but at least when it does, the solution is wait a while until they fix it. Linux distros seem to be proliferating based on the principle of some random guy using an existing distro, then exclaiming "This distro sucks because of X" and creating his own version of The One True distro. Which is gonna suck because of W, Y and Z. It's even worse when X is not a bug but a "philosophical flaw".

When I started university I thought "well, we get free access to Windows with MSDNAA / DreamSpark, so I'll use it for my desktop OS until I graduate and then I'll switch to Linux, most probably Ubuntu." Now, especially with the promise of infinite support for Windows 10, and scared by the above explained infinite maze of open source, I'm like "no way, man!"

Take http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php for example. Even if I understand what "codecs" and "64-bit edition" means (which is totally Hebrew for most people, say, my mum), I still have to decide between Cinnamon and MATE. And I don't have a clue what either of those are, and this choice is perpendicular to the purpose of an operating system: to let you do things.

@flabdablet said:

Unfortunately the config file format is terse and odd, and the documentation sucks.

Which applies for an enormously big subset of the entire open source world.

• @dse said:

Unless Linux starts supporting proper per-user installations into home folder.

The linux I'm using right now supports it, I think you mean Ubuntu. I'm using an Android tablet.

• Only a few of them distros are popular. Its very much like browsers.

• @Kuro said:

Dude, the warnings you get from everybody here if you disable UAC in windows are just as bad....

Which is hilarious if you consider that Windows 8 and up contain a bug in the handling of split-token adminstrators that allows the prompt to be bypassed anyway.

You can only protect yourself against this by either putting UAC at the highest protection level or by logging in as a regular user and elevating to a fully different administrator account on demand. And that means ---

@Forgotmylogin1 said:

Typing the root password every 15 seconds for every little fucking thing

And so we've come full circle.

(Oh and btw. , if we are to believe the extended discussion in the cited bug report, then Microsoft no longer treats UAC bypasses as security issues either, meaning this probably won't be fixed.)

• @Ragnax said:

Which is hilarious if you consider that Windows 8 and up contain a bug in the handling of split-token adminstrators that allows the prompt to be bypassed anyway.

You can only protect yourself against this by either putting UAC at the highest protection level or by logging in as a regular user and elevating to a fully different administrator account on demand.

Microsoft have indicates that they do not consider this issue meets the bar for a security bulletin. It is as expected a **UAC** bypass which **isn't a security boundary**.

Would somebody be so kind as to explain to me what the fuck it is then?

• @marczellm said:

Now, especially with the promise of infinite support for Windows 10, and scared by the above explained infinite maze of open source, I'm like "no way, man!"

Which is exactly why I settled on one of them after a mixture of experience and research.

First distro I ever installed on hardware I owned was Red Hat 7.1 "Seawolf". I picked that one because a couple of friends were already using it, despite their loud and sad complaints about the Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) and dependency hell. Upgraded it after a few years to Red Hat 9 "Shrike"; picked that one because I had already become familiar with 7's funny little ways, but I never really liked it. It came with everything and the kitchen sink, on a multi-disc installation set, and trying to turn off mystery meat I couldn't see any use for eventually left it irreparably and mysteriously broken.

So when Ubuntu 4.10 "Warty Warthog" appeared, I replaced Red Hat 9 with that. I was attracted by the stated aims of the Ubuntu project, I thought Mark Shuttleworth had some good ideas, and I liked the fact that it came on one CD and had an easy graphical installer. Debian still looked like scary stuff made for expert tinkerers; Ubuntu looked like Debian made accessible, and they sent me free CDs! In fact I liked it a lot. Same GNOME desktop environment I was used to with RH9, so no major surprises there - and after RPM, the apt package management suite was just fantastic (it's still better than anything else out there).

Upgraded through 5.04 and 5.10 and eventually stuck with 6.04 "Dapper Drake", the first long-term support release, for a couple of years. People used to hang shit on Ubuntu for its orange and brown "Human" themes, but I liked them, and I liked Canonical's ethos. I got better at finding the kernel options and extra driver packages that let me bring Ubuntu up on weird-ass hardware, and started offering to install and support it for other people who were sick of the Windows malware arms race. Got quite a lot of experience doing that, sticking to the LTS releases (or the last release before an LTS release, which would also upgrade smoothly to the LTS).

8.04 "Hardy Heron" came with a default desktop background that looks like it belongs on a gallery wall:

After seeing my laptop, I had one customer demand that I put Ubuntu on hers as well, because she wanted to use software that came from people who would make something that looked that nice. She's currently running Debian Testing with Xfce, but she's still got the Hardy Heron on her desktop.

All this time, I kept on seeing op-ed pieces about how Linux still wasn't ready for the desktop, still too hard for ordinary people to configure properly and yadda yadda yadda. But my own experience as a working PC fixit guy was that people I'd set up Ubuntu for had less trouble with it than people I'd set up Windows for (who, in turn, had far less trouble than people running default OEM Windows installs). The simple fact remains that most people are simply not capable of making meaningful tweaks to any operating system. Show them how to launch the word processor and the web browser and that's all they ever do. And for those people, Ubuntu was every bit as appropriate as Windows and malware-free. No bullshit upsell popups either.

Then 10.04 "Lucid Lynx" came out, and the whole thing went to shit. Nice desktop art? Gone. Human colour scheme? Gone; lots of bruised red and purple instead. Window controls moved to the top left corner and reduced to Skittles like a Mac, but ordered differently from both Mac and Windows controls. Crapload of social media stuff all turned on by default. And a proprietary "cloud" storage service, Ubuntu One - essentially a bare-bones iCloud that didn't work as well. It felt corporate as hell (Shuttleworth's response to the howls of community complaint about fucking with the default window controls was essentially "I hired good designers, this is what they made, and if you don't like it, sucks to be you"), it looked like the top of a vendor lock-in slippery slope, and I wanted nothing to do with it. Sure, all this stuff can be tweaked, some of it even easily; but if I was going to have to fuck around before ending up with something that wouldn't discombobulate my mostly change-averse customers, it was time to bite the bullet and try something less subject to commercial fads and more reliably democratic.

I tried a vanilla Debian install, and to my great surprise it was easy now. Still text-based and nowhere near as pretty as Ubuntu's installer, but serviceable and straightforward. And minimal by default. You want stuff? Install stuff. But you don't have to install a shitload of it to get a fully functional system. I liked it. I also liked that Testing was a rolling release whose repo never went away, so I could update it whenever I felt like it. Ubuntu was a nice motel gone mad under new management; Debian felt like home.

Stuck with default Debian Testing GNOME installs for a good long while until one day a careless apt-get dist-upgrade on my own machine ripped away GNOME 2 and installed GNOME 3 instead. Fuck, what an everything-is-a-phone dog's breakfast: fiddly, under-capable and slow as a wet week. Hated, hated, hated, HATED it. But there wasn't much that the Debian packagers could realistically have done to avoid it; GNOME 2 was dead upstream.

Made the jump to Xfce and haven't looked back. Xfce really has been getting better with every release. Plus, its panels always worked better than GNOME's ever did. If you want a capable, no-surprises desktop environment that needs the absolute minimum of fuckage to get it comfortable, Debian Testing with Xfce is a solid choice.

That said, Xfce is built on GTK. GTK2 is essentially a dead project, and much of what's wrong with GNOME 3 is reflected in the design of GTK3. I'm not at all convinced I'd be happy with any GTK3 based desktop environment. Some of the packages I run are already GTK3-based, and they're uniformly more annoying than their older GTK2 versions were; in theory GTK3 can be skinned to duplicate the look and feel of any GTK2 skin, but the GNOME devs keep making breaking changes to the GTK3 skinning API, so the number of skins that actually succeed in doing this is small and they all look fugly to me besides.

The current plan for Xfce does seem to involve cutting it over to GTK3. So in a year or so, once LXQt makes an appearance in the mainline Debian repo, I plan to look seriously at that; Qt is relatively sane, as these things go.

• TL;DR: Ignorant people using Linux the first time(-ish) and complaining it doesn't work like Windows.

• :belt_onion:

@Gurth said:

sudo cd ~.

WTF!?

Actually, WTF on so many levels...

Firstly....... I.. Don't think that works at all

Also, wouldn't that change ~ to /root or root's home directory?

Which... Then fails (even assuming it did anything at all) because your sudo didn't elevate the shell

• I think ~ is evaluated before sudo is called, so no.
    But I also think cd is a bash built-in, and sudo won't be able to run it.

Yeah it generally is. Even if it wasn't, it would be stupid for like 2 other reasons

• @marczellm said:

I still have to decide between Cinnamon and MATE.

What if I want a mate named Cinnamon? Kind of spunky, a little hippie, auburn hair, that sounds good to me.

• I didn’t say I actually saw that particular command, but that I have seen ones that were almost of that level. Stuff like using sudo to work on preferences files in your own home directory, that sort of thing.

@sloosecannon said:

Firstly....... I.. Don't think that works at all

It doesn’t:

[code]My_machine:Desktop gurth$ sudo cd ~
    My_machine:Desktop gurth$[/code]

This on OS X, not Linux, but I doubt it’ll be much different there.

• @fbmac said:

I also think cd is a bash built-in

Pretty much has to be; AFAIK there is no system call for changing the parent process's current directory.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

pi@SuperPi16 ~ $ sudo cd ~
    sudo: cd: command not found

Thats on my Raspberry Pi (Raspbian) which is still not Ubuntu but at least a Debian spinoff.
    I dunno if you can configure your sudoer-file so the cd programm is found, though...

Filed Under: So, it actually is different

• repro'd on Ubuntu 14.04

Yeah, looks like @Gurth has failure mode 2, which is "Spawn cd as root, run cd, exit", while you guys have failure mode 1 which is "cd is a shell built-in what the belgium are you thinking?"

It fails both ways though

• 😖

@Forgotmylogin1 said:

I knew .., but didn't think about it.

And yet somehow you attempt to deflect the blame from yourself......

• @dse said:

use sudo -i which is same as su

Actually, it's not. sudo -i is the same as su - (or the equivalents su -l and su --login), in that it not only changes the user and group ids, but effectively carries out the login process for the substitute user, and so, amongst other things, changes directory to the substitute user's $HOME.

You normally don't want that to happen. sudo -s is your friend.

• @flabdablet said:

If you want a capable, no-surprises desktop environmentwindow manager that needs the absolute minimum of fuckage to get it comfortable, use twm

FTFY, minimalism forever!

• @Kuro said:

I dunno if you can configure your sudoer-file so the cd programm is found, though...

Just out of interest: how would you, personally, set about implementing cd as a stand-alone program?

• The website says that the short life version is for developers. He is a developer. Guess which one he downloaded. If the people who write the instructions are too stupid too explain things clearly, then your whole software ecosystem is beyond hope. :P

• ♿ (Parody)

@BrainSlugs83 said:

Guess which one he downloaded.

Oo! Oo! ✋ An old and unsupported version!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@BrainSlugs83 said:

The website says that the short life version is for developers. He is a developer. Guess which one he downloaded.

Not the current short life version.

• @loopback0 said:

Not the current short life version.

So? BrainSlugs83 has a stupid username, but makes a good point.

"X is for developers." "Ok I got X." "Well X is over 6 months old, now it's useless trash." "... huh?"

I guess they think "developer" is synonymous with "upgrades OS EVERY SINGLE GODDAMNED DAY UPGRADE UPGRADE UPGRADE IT'S THREE DAYS OLD? YOU WORTHLESS ASS!"

• @blakeyrat said:

developer

Developers of Ubuntu and Ubuntu software, not developers of some random thing unrelated to Ubuntu.

• Oh. So you need telepathy to use the website. Thanks, Ben, that clears it up.

• I'm sorry, do you assume "information for developers" also refers to members of developing nations?

@blakeyrat said:

So?

So the Ubuntu website lists two versions that are currently supported, and he didn't download either then complained an unlisted version wasn't supported.

I'm not saying I agree with the the whole "6 months lifespan" thing - but downloading a version that's not listed as supported then complaining it's unsupported is daft IMO.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

• You can run Python in Windows. Why the fuck are you jizzing layers upon layers of Complicator onto this?
    • Ubuntu is a stupid choice, and you should know that
    • If you really need a penguin-esque interface, just install cygwin
    • fuck you, give me money

• Fake News

This post is deleted!

• I disagree with all your bullet points

• @tufty said:

@dse said:
    use sudo -i which is same as su

Actually, it's not. sudo -i is the same as su - (or the equivalents su -l and su --login), in that it not only changes the user and group ids, but effectively carries out the login process for the substitute user, and so, amongst other things, changes directory to the substitute user's $HOME.

You normally don't want that to happen. sudo -s is your friend.

I wasn't familiar with the -s option, so I just looked it up. The other major difference between -s and -i is that -i will also run stuff like root's .profile file. That's usually what I want to happen, but it's good to know that there's -s for times when it doesn't matter.

@JBert said:

(post withdrawn by author, will be automatically deleted in 42 hours unless flagged)

@fbmac said:

I disagree with all your bullet points

Damn, Discourse really elgiu'd up there. It attributed the deleted post to the wrong user!

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

Oh that one is easy:

First I go through the entire system collecting every post including likefolder including files then I freeze the system for ~30 secondsfreeze the system for ~30 seconds then I limit the amount of visible postfolders accessible to 20. Since I write everything into a giant database, I can blame my programming enviorment on the slow working of my cd-program.

Then I ban you from my server.

Filed Under: Next time I can show you how I would build a forum :trollface:

@ben_lubar said:

I'm sorry, do you assume "information for developers" also refers to members of developing nations?

Perhaps you were unaware that Blakey assumes everything in the light that lets him gripe the most about whatever it is that is the current target of his rage.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@fbmac said:

I disagree with all your bullet points

I'll fix it for you:

1. You can run Python in Windows. Why the fuck are you jizzing layers upon layers of Complicator onto this?
    2. Ubuntu is a stupid choice, and you should know that
    3. If you really need a penguin-esque interface, just install cygwin
    4. fuck you, give me money

• ...why is it that I now want to write a super complicated architecture/framework and name it Complicator?

Filed under: In Java naturally, FactoryFactoryFactory