Half hour back into ubuntu and I already want to blow my brains out.

• @rc4 said:

Linux is literally a kernel and nothing more. If you mean an OS based on linux, then you can say "Linux-based OS" or "*nix."

I'm going to instead say, "Fuck You RC4."

So anyway, a big problem with Fuck You RC4 is their just turning off the servers for the 13.whatever releases when Fuck You RC4 is already supporting a longer-term-support release. How does that make any sense? Except I suppose Fuck You RC4 considers "long term" to be like 10 months instead of 9 months.

Most of the problem with Fuck You RC4 is that everything in the Fuck You RC4 community is shifting so fast that there's no way to actually build a quality system on top of it. YET IRONICALLY part of it are shifting so slow that there's no way to modify them to the point where you can build a quality system on top of them.

So you have this weird conundrum where Fuck You RC4 can't build a great desktop because X11 sucks and hasn't been updated to have modern features in like 20 years, but at the same time you can't work on X11 because oh look libc made another incompatible change so we have to re-test all of our older versions (haha, just kidding, nobody in open source software does any QA!), and oh look KDE4 isn't backwards-compatible with KDE3 so we have to re-write all this other code, and wow. What a ball of useless shit.

So the important stuff, like the fundamental libraries driving all of Fuck You RC4's graphics, that badly need updating never get updated. The utterly unimportant stuff, like minor tweaks to fundamental libraries on the system, get updated all the fucking time (for reasons other than security-- security is different of course.)

So not only is Fuck You RC4 bad, but there's no way it'll ever get better. Not without a HUGE influx of labor, which doesn't exist because everybody working on Fuck You RC4 who even slightly gave a fuck moved to OS X years ago.

• @boomzilla said:

He'll still make claims that will demonstrate that even after reading your post that explains it to him.

Never give in! Never understand it!

Dude, I'm going to find that fucking thread. I wasn't the one saying it was insecure, I was just saying it was stupid as fuck to have to type "sudo" when there's no password. It was other people (Fuck You RC4 experts) telling me it was a security problem.

• @blakeyrat said:

I'm going to instead say, "Fuck You RC4."

I hope I'm not meant to be offended; I personally find it really funny.

@blakeyrat said:

So anyway, a big problem with Fuck You RC4 is their just turning off the servers

(The) Linux (Foundation) doesn't run those servers, Canonical Ltd. does.

• @blakeyrat said:

stupid as fuck to have to type "sudo" when there's no password

Would you rather the root account be enabled against all security best-practices?

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

Dude, I'm going to find that fucking thread. I wasn't the one saying it was insecure, I was just saying it was stupid as fuck to have to type "sudo" when there's no password.

I'll stipulate that you're correct for the argument's sake. My statement is still correct. You're just wrong in a different way.

• @rc4 said:

I hope I'm not meant to be offended; I personally find it really funny.

What!? Comedy!? ON A COMEDY WEBSITE!?

• @blakeyrat said:

COMEDY WEBSITE

Fairly certain this is an IT website. Jeez, you're just wrong about everything today!

• @rc4 said:

Would you rather the root account be enabled against all security best-practices?

What's the difference? The idiot Linux system just trains users to type "sudo" in front of literally everything (because the system basically "punishes" you with vague unreadable error messages if you don't; and after you spend 45 minutes researching each vague unreadable error message, the answer is almost universally "try it with sudo"), so there's no security in any case.

The only difference is that the Fuck You RC4 community can say it's not their fault, because it's always the user's fault even if the system is designed by utter morons who basically set a trap for those users to fall into.

• @blakeyrat said:

What's the difference? The idiot Linux system just trains users to type "sudo" in front of literally everything (because the system basically "punishes" you with vague unreadable error messages if you don't; and after you spend 45 minutes researching each vague unreadable error message, the answer is almost universally "try it with sudo"), so there's no security in any case.

Doing that is a good way to fuck up your system beyond just the imagined security threats. VERY bad advice.

• @asdf said:

You can configure sudo to remember the authorization for a few minutes

I don't remember changing any settings and sudo does that for me on Ubuntu 14.04.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

What's the difference? The idiot Linux system just trains users to type "sudo" in front of literally everything

Like clicking the UAC thingy, eh?

• @blakeyrat said:

The idiot Linux Fuck You RC4 system

FTFY

@blakeyrat said:

just trains users to type "sudo" in front of literally everything

No? Unless you're an admin, you should almost never need sudo.

@blakeyrat said:

because the system basically "punishes" you with vague unreadable error messages if you don't; and after you spend 45 minutes researching each vague unreadable error message, the answer is almost universally "try it with sudo")

No it doesn't. If you get an error resolved by using sudo, you probably need to learn how to read install docs. Or READMEs. Or literally understand the basics of using a computer.

@blakeyrat said:

The only difference is that the Fuck You RC4 community can say it's not their fault, because it's always the user's fault even if the system is designed by utter morons who basically set a trap for those users to fall into.

This has never been my experience. Perhaps you should learn how to use a computer.

• ♿ (Parody)

@rc4 said:

Perhaps you should learn how to use a computer.

Someday you'll learn that No True Computer runs Linux.

• @Forgotmylogin1 said:

Typing the root password every 15 seconds for every little fucking thing?

That's the equivalent of complaining that this dialog is annoying:
    https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/5/51/Windows_7_UAC.png

If you're seeing it enough for it to be annoying, you're doing something wrong.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@accalia said:

linux

I kid, I kid!

The two work machines (Dells) came with UEFI and Windows 7. I upgraded them to 8 and then 10 and enabled UEFI after the 8 upgrade, no problem.

At home I started with 8 on prebuilt machines: an AMD A8 with an MSI mobo and a Haswell i5 on a Gigabyte.

@accalia said:

Zantec

I bet you mean a Zotac. 😄

@bb36e said:

@FrostCat said:
    UEFI boots much faster than BIOS systems do.

But it doesn't seem to be a huge difference?

From your own link, OP mentions 11 vs 19 seconds. While that's only 8 seconds, it's nearly a doubling.

Obvs you can help with an SSD too.

• I survived the hour long Uno hand

@rc4 said:

you should almost never need sudo.

I need sudo every time I install software or reconfigure anything. Or have to read log files output by my web server.

• @rc4 said:

Unless you're an admin

• ♿ (Parody)

@Yamikuronue said:

I need sudo every time I install software or reconfigure anything.

Those make sense. They sound like system administration. Though depending on what you're configuring and who owns those files, your user should maybe be reconfigured by a system admin to be in an appropriate group.

@Yamikuronue said:

Or have to read log files output by my web server.

Your user should maybe be reconfigured by a system admin to be in an appropriate group.

So you're saying the same thing: everyone needs sudo. You just define "admin" broadly enough to mean "Everyone".

• @cartman82 said:

Doing that is a good way to fuck up your system beyond just the imagined security threats. VERY bad advice.

That is my exact point. Thanks for restating it, I guess?

The problem is that it is "VERY bad advice" and yet it's also exactly what the system trains people to do. Because, per usual, zero thought went into usability.

• Yeah, I'm sure that my mom needs to read web server log files. How narrow is your worldview that everyone in it does server admin tasks? You know you aren't the "average user," right? Plus, as boomzilla said, you shouldn't need sudo for that if the admin wasn't lazy and would configure appropriate groups with permissions to do the things you need to do.

• @rc4 said:

No it doesn't.

Well far be it from me to contradict such a genius, but yes. Yes it does.

@rc4 said:

If you get an error resolved by using sudo, you probably need to learn how to read install docs.

Why should I have to? I don't have to on Windows. Don't you consider that a weakness of Fuck You RC4?

@rc4 said:

Or READMEs.

Why should I have to?

@rc4 said:

Or literally understand the basics of using a computer.

I understand that well enough to also understand that there's no need for things to be that complicated.

• @blakeyrat said:

I understand that well enough to also understand that there's no need for things to be that complicated.

"Well golly-gee, if I dun unnerstan' it, it dun be wrong!" How is it complicated? What do you think of UAC? Oh wait, of course you won't address that issue because it's your beloved Windows!

• @Forgotmylogin1 said:

paranoid redneck sitting on his porch aiming his shotgun at every passing car of the computing world.

You just described tails

@rc4 said:

Linux is literally a kernel and nothing more.

Nobody talked that way when it first came out. As far as I can tell that's because RMS jumped on the bandwagon and insisted on calling the whole package GNU/Linux.

• ♿ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Nobody talked that way when it first came out. As far as I can tell that's because RMS jumped on the bandwagon and insisted on calling the whole package GNU/Linux.

And only people being pedantic dickweeds or RMS fellaters still do.

• @boomzilla said:

RMS fellaters

Good lord, I certainly don't fall into that group. So...

• FoxDev

@FrostCat said:

I kid, I kid!

-_-

[insert standard insults in untranslated foxish]

@FrostCat said:

I bet you mean a Zotac. 😄

yes.

yes i do.

thus unit to be precise (well, no. the previous generation. this one has a slightly better processor, same basic model though).

very nice, been serving me well as my VM host for over a year now.

• But if you go to a Linux news website, they'll say stuff like, "Dell is shipping Linux on new laptops!" well obviously they don't mean JUST the kernel by that, they mean the OS.

And of course a sane person would look at that and go, why the fuck are those even two different things? Having the kernel run by a completely different team incommunicado with the people who run the rest of the OS is just going to produce a badly-integrated buggy product.

And of course those people are right.

• @blakeyrat said:

incommunicado

Yeah, we lock 'em in a room and if they try and leave we say FUCK YOU, YOU STAY AND CODE!!! NO EMAIL!

@boomzilla said:

And only people being pedantic dickweeds or RMS fellaters still do.

I don't actually pay enough attention to keep track, or even really care--it would be different if I used Linux currently.

I just remember that in the first decade or so, if you said "Linux" you meant the OS as a whole, and if you wanted to talk about the kernel, you actually used that word (or maybe vmlinux.Z or vmlinuz or whatever it was called at the time.) There was none of this current-day confusion that, frankly, to my ears sounds almost contrived.

If I said "so I can sympathize with @Blakeyrat and almost agree with him" he'd probably change his mind about it being confusing.

@accalia said:

[insert standard insults in untranslated foxish]

Next year for Christmas I'm going to get you a thicker skin.

@rc4 said:

Yeah, I'm sure that my mom needs to read web server log files

I bet she wants to install Bejeweled.

• Why not a nice fur coat? I hear fox fur is pretty thick, that may work well.

• ♿ (Parody)

@blakeyrat said:

But if you go to a Linux news website, they'll say stuff like, "Dell is shipping Linux on new laptops!" well obviously they don't mean JUST the kernel by that, they mean the OS.

Yes, exactly.

@rc4 said:

Why not a nice fur coat? I hear fox fur is pretty thick, that may work well.

I was going to take the high road...or at least the higher version of the low road I was already on, and not say that.

BTW, @accalia, I'm sorry to have tweaked you there. But you remember last year when the resident rat troll got me so riled up and you and a couple of other people pointed it out? That's how you sound now--you're getting close to raceprouk-level agitatedness. I'm not trying to bag on you here! Maybe you're stressed out IRL too, I dunno, but maybe you need a break to reset your temper.

• Oh, I didn't even realize that something was afoot!

@rc4 said:

Oh, I didn't even realize that something was afoot!

She's been cranky lately. Part of that is my fault and I'm doing my best to not do the thing that was riling her up the most.

• I just prefer to call them by the distro name, like Ubuntu.

• @Forgotmylogin1 said:

Ubuntu is the retarded, paranoid redneck sitting on his porch aiming his shotgun at every passing car of the computing world.

So use Debian.

Install Debian Testing with Xfce, then make your /etc/apt/sources.list look like this:

deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
    deb http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ testing-updates main contrib non-free
    deb-src http://httpredir.debian.org/debian/ unstable main contrib non-free

Testing is a rolling release that periodically gets semi-frozen in order to stabilize it enough to become the new Stable. Outside the freeze periods, packages are usually quite close to latest available. If you need something newer, that's the reason for the deb-src entry for unstable.

For example, just recently I tried to install pepperflashplugin-nonfree from Testing and it didn't work; a bit of Googling showed that the Testing version (1.8.1+b4) had a bug that had already been fixed in the Unstable version (1.8.2). To get a Testing-compatible package for installation needed just

sudo -i
    cd /tmp
    apt-get --compile source pepperflashplugin-nonfree/unstable

which made /tmp/pepperflashplugin-nonfree_1.8.2_amd64.deb, a version compiled from the 1.8.2 sources but linked against the Testing libraries I already have;

dpkg -i pepperflashplugin-nonfree_1.8.2_amd64.deb

installs it without complaint. Any package you build and install this way can be upgraded in the usual way once a more recent Testing version becomes available, just as if you'd installed it from Testing in the first place.

• @Yamikuronue said:

everyone needs sudo. You just define "admin" broadly enough to mean "Everyone".

Well yeah, but sudo isn't supposed to give anybody who can possibly use it access to everything. The point of sudo is to delegate selected privileges to certain groups of users. The blanket way Ubuntu sets it up by default is pants-on-head retarded; it doesn't buy you anything that simply handing out the root password would get you more easily. Learn to use sudo properly and it's a really flexible tool.

Unfortunately the config file format is terse and odd, and the documentation sucks.

• @cartman82 said:

I wouldn’t mind getting a cent from every person on a Linux or Mac forum recommending sudo in front of almost every imaginable command regardless of whether it needs root access or not.

• @rc4 said:

@blakeyrat said:
    incommunicado

Yeah, we lock 'em in a room and if they try and leave we say FUCK YOU, YOU STAY AND CODE!!! NO EMAIL!

I think this is basically the way clones of copyrighted software are made. They take "virgin" programmers (those who have never seen the source of what they're cloning) and lock them in a room.

• @bb36e said:

He actually passed away a few years ago but it took a while to get him into the repos...too soon?

This made me LOL literally. And unfortunately, no one who is left at work would get it.
    I am so sad I cannot share the LOLs.

• @Forgotmylogin1 said:

I just need a freaking terminal with freaking python?

Why do you need linux for that? I have that in my Windows environment without any weird stuff like cygwin or what have you.

• @rc4 said:

@blakeyrat said:
    COMEDY WEBSITE

Fairly certain this is an IT website

I'm not seeing the difference.

• BINNED

1. use sudo -i which is same as su when you have more than few root-required things to do.
    2. Switch to Fedora Workstation (+ Cinnamon) for a superior desktop environment :)
    3. Linux is Linux, Windows is Windows, each has its own shittiness it is best to avoid fighting it and rather embrace the idioms.

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

Those make sense. They sound like system administration.

Unless Linux starts supporting proper per-user installations into home folder. I actually like Windows installs per-user and not per-machine by default. That does not require admin rights, but stupid Windows UAC pops up every 5 seconds and blacks out my screen. UAC is more annoying than sudo.