Linting stroll

• I decided to do something for my health today and took a linter to our codebase. The linter immediately uncovered a few unintended globals which is verygood. It also found a lot of missing semicolons. Just when I was about to feel relaxed enough and ready to do something useful instead of inserting semicolons, the linter directed me to this line:

var id = id

• Impossible Mission Players - A

Oh. Only one line?
    Recently I converted an application that contained this anti-pattern all over the place.

Unfortunately, I can''t recall the instance.
    This is probably a direct result of my current system status... I'll try to be quiet.

• @Tsaukpaetra said:

Recently I converted an application that contained this anti-pattern all over the place.

:hushed: Did you uncover a 'rationale' for this pattern?

My curiosity went looking for the commit that introduced the line and this is what it looks like, slightly shortened:

function makeSomeId(id) {
            var somePrefix=getSomePrefix(id)
    -       var idY = id
    -       return somePrefix + idY;
    +       var id = id
    +       return somePrefix + id;
     }

So this line has a history of stupid.

• Impossible Mission Players - A

@gleemonk said:

a 'rationale' for this pattern?

Future sexpansion?

• When you frequently write code in a language which requires a separate linter, and you don't almost immediately try to use one, you have found tr<nbsp/>:wtf:.

• @Magus said:

When you frequently write code in a language which requires a separate linter, and you don't almost immediately try to use one, you have found tr<nbsp/>:wtf:.

FTFY

• While I agree with you there, we live in an unfortunate age where js is ubiquitous.

• There's always Emscripten etc.

• If I was doing web things, I'd be using either Clojure or TypeScript. But only because Silverlight is dead.

• There's only 400 more missing semicolons to go. Where would I take my sense of accomplishment if not for this?

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.