Microsoftsale.org legit???

• Does anyone have any experience with these people? I'm looking to build a gaming rig and found this place where they sell Windows 10 Home for US$35 and Windows 8.1 Pro for US$30

http://microsoftsale.org/Windows10Home

Is this place legit? They state they are but I'm not used to getting things for free or for such a discount.

• Notification Spam Recipient

Nope.
    Based on the HTML comment:
    <!--​ Place somewhere in the <body> of your page --> someone did a real quick copy-paste of template and replaced the text and pictures.

Not to mention everything is "out of stock" when you go to their "buy" page.

Not legit at all.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

Looks like someone should set up an appointment for an unexpected virus scaaaaan~

• @Eldelshell said:

Is this place legit? They state they are

Well, who are you to argue with them? Speaking of it, I'm actually an absolutely legitimate Nigerian prince and boy, do I have an offer for you...

• I've bought a Windows 8.1 license at /r/microsoftsoftwareswap for $30. I don't know how legal it is, but it activated fine on a Microsoft ISO and upgraded to Windows 10 without problems.

• Garbage Person

Short answer: No.
    Long answer: Nooooooooooooooooooo.

• FoxDev

@Eldelshell said:

Is this place legit?

$> whois microsoftsale.org
    Domain Name: MICROSOFTSALE.ORG
    Domain ID: D176170731-LROR
    WHOIS Server:
    Referral URL: http://www.enom.com
    Updated Date: 2015-07-04T03:45:49Z
    Creation Date: 2015-05-04T14:51:29Z
    Registry Expiry Date: 2016-05-04T14:51:29Z
    Sponsoring Registrar: eNom, Inc.
    Sponsoring Registrar IANA ID: 48
    Domain Status: clientTransferProhibited https://www.icann.org/epp#clientTransferProhibited
    Registrant ID: 537e559e0ebc27ea
    Registrant Name: WhoisGuard Protected
    Registrant Organization: WhoisGuard, Inc.
    Registrant Street: P.O. Box 0823-03411
    Registrant City: Panama
    Registrant State/Province: Panama
    Registrant Postal Code: 00000
    Registrant Country: PA
    Registrant Phone: +507.8365503
    Registrant Phone Ext:
    Registrant Fax: +51.17057182
    Registrant Fax Ext:
    Registrant Email: legal@whoisguard.com
    Admin ID: 537e559e0ebc27ea
    Admin Name: WhoisGuard Protected
    Admin Organization: WhoisGuard, Inc.
    Admin Street: P.O. Box 0823-03411
    Admin City: Panama
    Admin State/Province: Panama
    Admin Postal Code: 00000
    Admin Country: PA
    Admin Phone: +507.8365503
    Admin Phone Ext:
    Admin Fax: +51.17057182
    Admin Fax Ext:
    Admin Email: legal@whoisguard.com
    Tech ID: 537e559e0ebc27ea
    Tech Name: WhoisGuard Protected
    Tech Organization: WhoisGuard, Inc.
    Tech Street: P.O. Box 0823-03411
    Tech City: Panama
    Tech State/Province: Panama
    Tech Postal Code: 00000
    Tech Country: PA
    Tech Phone: +507.8365503
    Tech Phone Ext:
    Tech Fax: +51.17057182
    Tech Fax Ext:
    Tech Email: legal@whoisguard.com
    Name Server: SID.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
    Name Server: NELLY.NS.CLOUDFLARE.COM
    DNSSEC: unsigned
    >>> Last update of WHOIS database: 2015-12-16T19:02:28Z <<<

hmm.... privacy enabled domaincreated this year. yeah. nope.

• I have never seen anything that looks less legit than that.

Talk to your employer, if they have any MSDN subscriptions at all, they probably have at least a few extra Windows 10 keys to hand out. If not, they might have signed up for that MS program that gives Microsoft-employee like discounts to non-Microsoft companies.

• Well, let's hope this bumps up on searches so people don't fall on this trap.

• Garbage Person

If you have to ask if anything is legit, it's not.

• They have a Support page where they mention an address:

250 Golden Gate Ave
    San Francisco, CA
    94102, USA

A quick search on Google brings me to El Castillito Taqueria's Yelp page, a Mexican taco shop which is listed on that address. Street View seems to confirm this:

So, totally legit. Absolutely. No doubt possible.

• I want a taco.

Hey, the building makes no mention of what sort of businesses (if any) operate on the second and third floors. And I would not be surprised to learn that microsoftsale.org operates out of one of those rooms.

• To me it looks like the two floors above the taco shop are home(s). I wouldn't be surprised if the guy who runs the taco shop lives there... his commute must be awesome.

:thats_the_joke: 🎏

• @blakeyrat said:

they probably have at least a few extra Windows 10 keys to hand out

That's not legal at all as using MSDN keys (except MSOffice) for anything except development/test/demo purpose violates the EULA. If you plan to use it this way you may just find some MSDN key on the web instead, because it's same level illegal but at least it won't create trouble for your company.

Not to mention that most company (except realy small ones) buy Enterprise version of Windows license, that they won't be able to "simply give you key to activate" unless you have VPN access (i.e.: can connect to their KMS)

• @cheong said:

@blakeyrat said:
    they probably have at least a few extra Windows 10 keys to hand out

That's not legal at all as using MSDN keys (except MSOffice) for anything except development/test/demo purpose violates the EULA. If you plan to use it this way you may just find some MSDN key on the web instead, because it's same level illegal but at least it won't create trouble for your company.

Not to mention that most company (except realy small ones) buy Enterprise version of Windows license, that they won't be able to "simply give you key to activate" unless you have VPN access (i.e.: can connect to their KMS)

What if your company has a volume license and each developer also has an UltimateEnterprise MSDN license?

• It's the purpose which invalidates the EULA that matters, not the number of keys.

If you only use your machine for development, that could be kind of okay. (Afterall MSDN licence itself follows the developer, not the machine. So as long as you keep being employed by that company, it should be okay)

Btw, since currently Windows allow you to setup in way that you login through your LiveID, I hope that they can also make it possible that, if you have MSDN subscription binded to that LiveID and has access to that OS's key (or alias created on Outlook.com just in case you need to create some testing account), it'll no longer request you to enter key to activate.

• Meh. Well. Either way the advice holds: talk to your company's IT guys, they're probably swimming in keys.

• @cheong said:

If you plan to use it this way you may just find some MSDN key on the web instead, because it's same level illegal but at least it won't create trouble for your company.

If you're happy with that level of illegal, just using the default KMS VL key and running any of the third-party KMS servers somewhere on your LAN works just fine and causes no trouble for anybody.

• That's fine. People setup up unprotected KMS deserves have their activation count stolen. 😛

[spoiler]Of course that's only if you don't mind being sued for theft.[/spoiler]

• Twenty posts in and not one mention of piratebay, nor making fun of Blakey for suggesting a pirating solution?

Disappoint.

• @cartman82 said:

piratebay

Maybe we need a poll on how many people here still dare to download software over there.

First, you'll need MD5/SHA checksum of target..... if you don't, you're trying your luck.

• Finding the checksum from a reputable source and then using that as your Google search term works well.