I feel like I'm being retarded.

• evt = threading.Event()
    timeoffset = (<some datetime in the future> - datetime.datetime.now()).total_seconds()
    if not evt.wait(timeoffset):
    <do things that depend on that future datetime being less than or equal to right now>
    else:
    <do different things>

Part of me really wants to make that "evt.wait(timeoffset + .1)" to make 100%99% sure it doesn't fire early, but the rest of me wants to slap that part for being a dipshit.

• How will you know if .1 is the right amount? When you have to ask yourself this question, I believe it means you're doing it wrong.

• If evt.wait() guarantees it does not return false when it returns early¹, timeoffset should be enough. If it does not, then don't rely on the return value and compare with datetime.datetime.now() again.

¹ Which I don't know. I am not even sure which language you are talking about. But TFM should say.

• Python, sorry lol. Events return false if the timeout expires before the event is signaled, but I don't know what the rules are for when the timeout actually happens.

Ended up just reworking it so returning early wouldn't be a big deal. It's...worse, but at least it obscures my ignorance.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.