Perfmon is TRWTF

• Trying to get an update to install on Win2012 R2 and it's taking ages so I fire up perfmon and go get a coffee.
    Return later to see this;

Bloody perfmon is taking all the CPU (149%, to be precise, which is another undefined)

Kill perfmon and, right enough;

What's the sysops version of a Heisenbug?

• I typically use Process Explorer, because I don't really care for graphs that much. Speaking of graphs, it doesn't look like killing perfmon had much of an effect...

• @LB_ said:

Speaking of graphs, it doesn't look like killing perfmon had much of an effect...

It did. The CPU had been on the roof and I killed perfmon halfway through that graph's timeline, at which point the spikiness that I'd expect to be Windows Update got going.

...and the thermometer / progress bar on the update window started moving!

• That's not perfmon, it's resource monitor - which is a whole different beast altogether. Perfmon is just a bunch of counters and numbers (that applications submit to the OS anyway), resourcemon is more intensive.

Nevertheless, it shouldn't be such a resource hog.

• t'was "perfmon.exe" that was eating the cpu...

• Oh. Oops, I missed that...

• @skotl said:

149%, to be precise, which is another undefined

This has been topic of dispute in our office in the past. There are two ways to measure CPU usage: As a percentage of a single core, or as a percentage of all cores. When looking at processes or especially threads calculating a percentage of a single core makes more sense. Otherwise a single-threaded process on a 48-core machine would never use more than 2% of CPU, but its CPU load could still be the bottleneck.

• @skotl said:

t'was "perfmon.exe" that was eating the cpu...

Isn't that how you measure CPU load? Create a low-priority thread that never blocks on every core. Then compare its CPU load with the theoretical maximum for all the cores. undefined

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.