How is it possible someone in the lounge could be an asshole?



  • I mean they clicked the "like" button 40 times! They're SO FUCKING TRUSTWORTHY!


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    I mean they clicked the "like" button 40 times! They're SO FUCKING TRUSTWORTHY!

    Exactly! I mean, you could click the like button only, say, 4 times, and be an asshole. It's almost like there's no relation between the number of times you click the button and whether you're an asshole or not!



  • Yeah well you know what's awesome? Now I have to click 40 bullshit likes or whatever, just so I have access to those threads so I can police my own personal information. Because none of the fucking mods or users here are doing the fucking job, I guess there's no choice but to do it myself.



  • You've said in the past, I believe, that you weren't terribly concerned with concealing your identity, but didn't want any TDWTF account linked with your real name. Which didn't happen in the incidents in question, BTW. Beyond not being public, nothing about your identity was posted.



  • @boomzilla said:

    Beyond not being public, nothing about your identity was posted.

    That contradicts what TWO users other than you have told me. So to use my oft-used phrase: I do not believe you.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    That contradicts what TWO users other than you have told me. So to use my oft-used phrase: I do not believe you.

    Well, what did they tell you? Maybe they've seen something I didn't notice?



  • YOU YOURSELF WAS ONE OF THE USERS!

    Jesus.

    You told me what it was in a PM like 15 minutes ago. Is this Momento?



  • How did that contradict anything I posted?

    @boomzilla said:

    You've said in the past, I believe, that you weren't terribly concerned with concealing your identity, but didn't want any TDWTF account linked with your real name. Which didn't happen in the incidents in question, BTW. Beyond not being public, nothing about your identity was posted.



  • See the PM thread.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    See the PM thread.

    OK, fair point...it doesn't have nothing to do with it. (responding here to make this mea culpa public). However, that wasn't allowed to sit around for months.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    How is it possible someone in the lounge could be an asshole? I mean they clicked the "like" button 40 times!

    @blakeyrat said:

    Now I have to click 40 bullshit likes or whatever, just so I have access to those threads so I can police my own personal information.

    TDEMSYR. What does clicking likes have to do with being an asshole and/or policing your personal information?



  • @anotherusername said:

    TDEMSYR. What does clicking likes have to do with being an asshole and/or policing your personal information?

    THAT IS KIND OF THE POINT I WAS TRYING TO MAKE IN THIS THREAD thank you.

    The whole concept of "trust level" is retarded. I don't trust those morons because they hit "like" 40 times in two weeks or whatever, and they sure as fuck haven't done anything to earn my trust.



  • Then you suck at communicating. Here, let me help you:

    "Discourse's trust level is retarded. What does the number of likes you've given, topics or posts you've read, have to do with whether or not someone should trust you?"

    There, that actually made sense. I know what you're bitching about, and it's a valid argument.



  • What even set all this off, out of curiosity?



  • Yeah but it's more than that. It also creates this secret conspiracy theory where I don't even have the ability to see when people are being assholes and doxxing me.

    And nobody who posted there, not the people who flagged the doxxing post, not the moderators who deleted it, none of them fucking bothered to even tell me about it.

    Whatever. Fuck this place.

    Oh wait, but I can't leave because then I'll spend the rest of my life being made fun of for "ha ha lol ragequit lolol.ol". So it's hell, basically. I'm in hell.



  • ...I'm still not sure I get it. Someone in the Lounge doxxed you? And you're complaining because your trust level wasn't high enough to see the post?

    You're here often enough, anyone who didn't check your user card probably would assume you're a regular and could've seen the post, so didn't need to be told about it. I guess just query shadowmod and figure out what you need to do to get to TL3? You can even query him via PM if you don't want to use the shadowmod queries thread.

    What's the 40 likes got to do with anything?



  • While I can see why you'd be frustrated it isn't like the TL3s are going to drive to your house and egg it or order a bunch of pizzas or something.



  • Also, how'd you find out about the post if you couldn't view it and nobody told you about it? Or did someone finally tell you?

    I didn't even see the post in question, so I have no clue what went down exactly.



  • Because they have such a high trust level, right? You can just trust them with everything!

    You know who else I trust? DomainTools, who haven't updated their fucking WHOIS database since 2014. Whee. I love it. It's awesome.



  • I told him. I should have flagged first, but I really thought he was already aware of that. And someone there claimed he don't care if we know his name, as long as it's not shown on Google. Turn out these were both false.



  • @fbmac said:

    I told him. I should have flagged first, but I really thought he was already aware of that.

    The moderators didn't tell me shit.

    @fbmac said:

    And someone there claimed he don't care if we know his name, as long as it's not shown on Google.

    Why would you ask

    #ANYBODY OTHER THAN ME

    what I want done with my personal information!?

    Jesus, you stupid motherfuckers.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Why would you ask

    ANYBODY OTHER THAN ME

    what I want done with my personal information!?

    I didn't have access to the lounge back them. When I noticed that conversation it was old stuff.



  • It was a general and rhetorical question.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    Yeah but it's more than that. It also creates this secret conspiracy theory where I don't even have the ability to see when people are being assholes and doxxing me.

    Liar. You've deliberately denied yourself the ability to see that.



  • Not. This. Shit. Again.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    Oh wait, but I can't leave because then I'll spend the rest of my life being made fun of for "ha ha lol ragequit lolol.ol". So it's hell, basically. I'm in hell.

    If you left, why would you care?


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    You know who else I trust? DomainTools, who haven't updated their fucking WHOIS database since 2014.

    When I owned a domain, I had the ability to log into my account and change the contact information.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    Not. This. Shit. Again.

    You stop lying, I'll stop calling you out. You know perfectly well you could police the lounge if you wanted to.



  • I do too, and I just talked to my registrar's helpdesk about it and apparently there's at least one rogue site that doesn't respect domain privacy settings (if you set a domain from non-private to private, it just ignores the change despite updating its last-updated date), and they can't do anything about it because ICANN says that's hunky-dorey.



  • @FrostCat said:

    You know perfectly well you could police the lounge if you wanted to.

    Of course I could, and now I'll probably have no choice but to.

    But you're saying it's MY FAULT that the site changed and I no longer had access to it, and that is the most blatant of all blatant lies.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    I do too, and I just talked to my registrar's helpdesk about it and apparently there's at least one rogue site that doesn't respect domain privacy settings (if you set a domain from non-private to private, it just ignores the change despite updating its last-updated date), and they can't do anything about it because ICANN says that's hunky-dorey.

    That sucks. You could put in fake information. I know you're not supposed to, but it can be done.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    But you're saying it's MY FAULT that the site changed and I no longer had access to it, and that is the most blatant of all blatant lies.

    I'm not saying that at all. I'm saying the site changed, and your refusal to play with the new rules is what keeps you out. Notice I didn't use the world "fault".



  • I'm not here to play Atwood's little game. The only reason we even HAVE that little game is because Alex is a total asshole who forced this bullshit on us.

    Anyway I'm done talking about this.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    I'm not here to play Atwood's little game.

    But you are here to piss and moan about how you won't, and how an unkind fate has forced you not to be able to yell at people.



  • Right; and that is a perfect justification for people to dox me. Is that where you're going with this? Justification?

    Fuck you.



  • Things are getting serious in here...

    (to lighten the mood :) )


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    Right; and that is a perfect justification for people to dox me. Is that where you're going with this? Justification?

    Fuck you.

    I'm surprised you don't have a constant case of whiplash from making up motivations for people.

    No, I don't agree with people doxing you.



  • The idea that a person can't access a particular forum simply because they haven't given enough likes is beyond retarded. All of the gamification bullshit adds nothing of value and certainly doesn't make anyone more or less trustworthy.

    However, as far as "doxxing" goes, nobody doxxed you. You doxxed yourself. You made the same mistake that many other people have made -- over time you gave out bits and pieces of information and if anyone was paying attention, it's trivial to put it all together. i don't give two shits who you really are, but don't blame someone else for your fuckups.



  • @Spanky587 said:

    However, as far as "doxxing" goes, nobody doxxed you. You doxxed yourself. You made the same mistake that many other people have made -- over time you gave out bits and pieces of information and if anyone was paying attention, it's trivial to put it all together. i don't give two shits who you really are, but don't blame someone else for your fuckups.

    You can call someone stupid when they hand over public as well as private information to an automated system and expect it to make a value call about what info can be published.

    However, going out there to look something up about someone else, making the judgement that it's "public info", then posting it here and acting all self-righteous is why one gets called an asshole.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @JBert said:

    However, going out there to look something up about someone else, making the judgement that it's "public info", then posting it here and acting all self-righteous is why one gets called an asshole.

    Agreed. And posting a photo of their house is just fucking creepy.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @Polygeekery said:

    posting a photo of their house

    Yeah, I'm waiting for the day I get S.W.A.T.ed. It's coming, I just haven't gotten popular enough for people to care.



  • @Polygeekery said:

    posting a photo of their house

    Wow, it went that far? That fucking sucks.



  • @Spanky587 said:

    All of the gamification bullshit adds nothing of value

    This came from the man who created StackExchange, remember.

    They loves them some INTERNETPOINTZZZZZ over there.



  • @Spanky587 said:

    You doxxed yourself.

    Wrong. He didn't post the photo of his house.



  • Did that really happen? If so, then that is fucked up.



  • @anotherusername said:

    I guess just query shadowmod and figure out what you need to do to get to TL3?

    Blakey knows exactly what he needs to do to get TL3, but he refuses to participate in the "gamification" of trust levels. His lack of TL3 is a deliberate protest against a retroactive change in the requirements that removed his access to the lounge, including his own posts there.



  • The discourse heuristics are not replacement for the mods, I think he should be TL3ed. But I'm not sure if he would be pleased or annoyed if the mods do that.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @Spanky587 said:

    However, as far as "doxxing" goes, nobody doxxed you. You doxxed yourself. You made the same mistake that many other people have made -- over time you gave out bits and pieces of information and if anyone was paying attention, it's trivial to put it all together. i don't give two shits who you really are, but don't blame someone else for your fuckups.

    This is why I am very protective of my PII, because assholes will do shit like that.

    It is one thing to put two and two together for yourself. It is something entirely different to post it on the forums, especially when it is not just who they are but a photo of their home.



  • @fbmac said:

    I'm not sure if he would be pleased or annoyed

    I think he'd probably be annoyed, because it would deprive him of (one of) his favorite excuses for ranting.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @fbmac said:

    I think he should be TL3ed.

    He can be. Like 15 posts per month. If he wants, he can pick 15 arbitrary posts for back in the CS days if he wants to. He is deliberately protesting the Lounge. He does not want to be in there, so he is not.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.