I am a Developer from India.One among the bunch of guys you hate for writing unmaintainable shit-ass code that you have to fix. Ask me anything .

• I never saw anything like this, but it's common to remove the ground pin from power plugs

• @fbmac said:

it's common to remove the ground pin from power plugs

Why would anyone do that? 😿

• In Brazil, for a long period most computers came from the black market, with a different type of power plug (because taxes are/were up to a WTF level). And now it's happening again, because a new power-plug standard is being imposed. So any new computer has to be shipped with one type, and many sockets are still the old type.

• @fbmac said:

That's because it's not the Indian companies that are going to fix this, it's the clients that contract from them, that have to be more demanding on it.

This. A Million times this.

• ♿ (Parody)

@stillwater said:

I am sensing a lot of hostility between the lines.

Hmmm....I thought it was pretty clear in the lines. 😛

No, but seriously, this is the most interesting topic in this category.

• @boomzilla said:

No, but seriously, this is the most interesting topic in this category.

Agreed

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@AlexMedia said:

Why would anyone do that?

So they fit in a 2-prong outlet, duh. Who cares that it's "dangerous"?

• What would you do? Give up computers because you don't have the right outlet?

• @Yamikuronue said:

We wish to put our malware encrusted machines on your network, as we do not understand how to use the VMs provided. Also, we are still requiring of the documentation attached to the email I am replying to. Please do needful for the same.

Do you have more stuff like this?

• @AlexMedia said:

Hyderabad guys

You could have stopped right there.

@AlexMedia said:

He "resolved" the issue by disabling request validation altogether (it's a setting on SPWebApplication) but he did not tell anyone, nor document it.

I deal with this every other day. I feel bad for not going wtf at stuff like this anymore.

• @Weng said:

Do you have any other turns off phrase that a cynical bastard like myself could adopt?

I don't know if you know the "As per our discussion" phrase. Almost every mail between the team starts with this. When you use it, you are not accountable for any shit you do. None whatsoever.

Eg:

X to Y verbally: Fix problem A

Y to X via Email: As per our discussion I ve done jackshit about our problem but finally turned on my computer around 6 pm.

X forwards this to manager adding "PFA ( Please find attached (meta:Is this an Indianism)) along with the original mail.

Manager to X and Y : Thank you for doing the "needfullzzzz" but problem A is still there but am sure it is not your fault. I will ask the guy without any social life to make up for your laziness and general incompetence. Come over sometime. I have some leftover Cheap Liquor.

Edit:

You can use " If X can do it, why can't you?"

This makes no sense but it works.

X stands for Microsoft, Oracle and so on.Any company that makes the Stack the Dev works on.

Assume our Dev works on .NET
    If you want to control the rover on Mars, Ask the Dev to make it happen. When he says no you just go "Dude If Microsoft can do it why can't you? "

That Motherfucker is gonna stand outside your door at 5 am in the morning with a Remote control in his hand telling you It's done. The rover will move left when you press right on the Remote control but that is a whole different matter altogether.

• I was looking what this "do the needful" means, and found there is even an wikipedia article for it.

Do the needful" is an expression which means "do that which is necessary", with the respectful implication that the other party is trusted to understand what needs doing without being given detailed instruction.

TIL: There is a word for what I am doing the entire day

• @stillwater said:

You could have stopped right there.

Why, are people from Hyderabad considered to be bad even in India? :D

• @AlexMedia said:

Why, are people from Hyderabad considered to be bad even in India? 😃

People from Hyderabad are considered to be bad even by some in Hyderabad.

• @stillwater said:

1.This is primarily due to management having a strong belief in "The more developers you put in, the more work gets done in a shorter amount of time".

You should have them put more managers on a project and see if it gets done faster.

Lol.

Hopefully I don't offend. I just have bad luck it appears.

Question, why did all the Indian students at my college cheat off each other?
    Of course it didn't work because not one of them knew the answer.

I know you guys have great programmers, I've met a few online, and one sits at the desk near me.

• @xaade said:

You should have them put more managers on a project and see if it gets done faster.

This happened. Lesson learnt.

@xaade said:

Question, why did all the Indian students at my college cheat off each other?Of course it didn't work because not one of them knew the answer.

This is considered a Norm here. No one cares about being sincere, Honesty is looked down upon and actively discouraged, You get bullied around here if you are not into cheating and helping people that way. There is nothing that rewards just behaviour.

Also, Most people are recruited right out of college. This exam usually happens with hundreds of people in a large hall with questions and answer booklets given to them. Questions are standard math questions along the lines of If X peope take Y days to build a wall,how many days will X + 2 people take. Basic shit like this. People cheat more often than they don't and this is how 90% of the people get into IT. Cheating plays a very very important role.

@xaade said:

know you guys have great programmers, I've met a few online, and one sits at the desk near me.

Some of us actually want to do our shit as best as we can. Heartily appreciate you understanding that. Thank you.

• Garbage Person

I use "as per our discussion" to lead into a complete teardown of everything wrong with the other party in question and everything they have ever done wrong.

And CC bosses right on the email, screw forwarding in secret.

The fact that I do this often enough to have a template for it is alarming.

• Garbage Person

@xaade said:

Question for xaade: Did you go to a major university in Pennsylvania?

• @Weng said:

And CC bosses right on the email, screw forwarding in secret.

If there is an offshore Indian boss involved in the CC, Don't bother. These assholes don't do mails. Too cool for that shit.

• @xaade said:

Are you talking about Americans of Indian Origin or people from India who came there for Uni? I was talking about my experience with the latter group.

• If management takes the side of the Indian guys you're screwed anyway.

At the earlier mentioned project, those guys once selected the "keep my version" option while trying to resolve a merge conflict. As a consequence, some stuff never landed in the database which caused a production site to go down. They had no idea how to solve it and I had to tell them what they missed.

Yet the customer refused to call them out on it ("small mistake, happens to all of us"), while they lodged a complaint about a colleague of mine who showed up 2 minutes late for a stand-up meeting. He had been in a traffic jams for 45 minute after an accident.

• @stillwater said:

Heartily appreciate you understanding that. Thank you.

I will stand behind anyone with that character, any background.

@stillwater said:

Cheating plays a very very important role.

It didn't in our class. The professor got pissed, yelled at them, and failed them all.

Question: Does that naturally follow into the workplace, or is there a level of ethical requirement in the workplace that changes this behavior?

• @stillwater said:

Are you talking about Americans of Indian Origin or people from India who came there for Uni?

Second group.

We had a large international group because my college was cheaper, and gave out discounts to pump up admissions.

Overall it was a good experience. I wouldn't trade my experience in international diversity for anything. It's why I continue to travel around the world.

I can't speak for 2nd+ generation Indian immigrants. Didn't go to school with them.

• @AlexMedia said:

At the earlier mentioned project, those guys once selected the "keep my version" option while trying to resolve a merge conflict. As a consequence, some stuff never landed in the database which caused a production site to go down.

I am pretty sure this was done without the person not knowing what keep my version means. Again this happens fairly often. Things are clicked on because they're just there. I also know people who ve clicked on Take server version overwriting their changes. Same reason as above.

• @xaade said:

Does that naturally follow into the workplace, or is there a level of ethical requirement in the workplace that changes this behavior?

Nope, there is no such thing. Once the assholeness sets in at the Uni level, It goes on for life. Workplace is never ever conducive to any sort of good behaviour.

• @stillwater said:

Nope, there is no such thing. Once the assholeness sets in at the Uni level, It goes on for life. Workplace is never ever conducive to any sort of good behaviour.

Well, shit.

Basically, "No Child Left Behind" NATO version, but in India.

• Fun side story, my first encounter with Indian programmers was a company in west London, in which almost all employees were Indian and the owner was Indian. They didn't have Internet on their workstations but only on a separate computer on its own LAN. The office was as crappy as it can be for a 10 person shop.

Anyway, there's a few topics about them around here somewhere.

• @Eldelshell said:

Fun side story, my first encounter with Indian programmers was a company in west London

How were the actual programmers though?

• They did the best they could I believe, but they were outdated and IMO not very motivated. I mean, if you add to that hostile environment living in west London (I was scared of walking around there at night) and the industry they worked on, it's like working on sulphur mines.

• @stillwater said:

Please find attached

Oh f that, we have QA (amongst other things) in India and I hate it when they file a report using our system that has all these nice mandatory fields to fill in with things like description and steps to reproduce :giggity: and all that it says "please find attached" and there is a .docx and/or .exe attached.

They use some weirdo screen-recording software that produces exe files, I am always sceptical about opening them, I have seen how the desktops of those machines look. But hey, that is why we have corporate antivirus.

• :belt_onion:

See though, that's the advantage of being a Java dev. I can just blame Oracle for everything.

"You use Java? That's a terrible language. <lists reason>"

"Oh, yeah, well.... that's Oracle's fault."

• @Yolobert said:

@stillwater said:
    Please find attached

Oh f that, we have QA (amongst other things) in India and I hate it when they file a report using our system that has all these nice mandatory fields to fill in with things like description and steps to reproduce :giggity: and all that it says "please find attached" and there is a .docx and/or .exe attached.

Re-educating those people would be nice. If needed, with a cluebat.

They use some weirdo screen-recording software that produces exe files, I am always sceptical about opening them, I have seen how the desktops of those machines look. But hey, that is why we have corporate antivirus.

And those .exe's should just be banned by your issue tracking system. Now it's just screen recordings, but maybe tomorrow someone will sneak in CryptoWall.

Oh, and @stillwater: what do you hate most when you are dealing with your customers?

• What? CRT displays?

My eyes hurts! 😭

• No, just the open plan thing

• @AlexMedia said:

And those .exe's should just be banned by your issue tracking system.

If you knew our issue tracking system you would not suggest that. Because I am fairly certain it cannot be done, or it would take 3 years and involve a number of external consultants.

The issue tracking is part of why I created this account, to vent. But I have not yet managed to collect my insanity into a coherent post.

• Garbage Person

We have a pronoun problem. We have two remote Indian programmers. One is named Ranjan, one is named Raja. Every single fucking time someone tries to talk about one of them, it goes like this. "Can we assign that to Raja? How busy is he?" "I thought Raja was a she?" and on and so forth.

Their manager avoids pronouns and doesn't let them on the phone because they may inadvertently reveal how incompetent he is.

Assuming they are gendered names, what the hell are Raja and Ranjan?

If Ranjan's a first name, then going on the results of a quick Google search for "Ranjan", it's a male name.

But it also appear to be a last[1] name, and then of course all bets are off.

[1] I know some Indian ethnic groups do naming differently than the Western style. All bets are off in those cases, too.

• Garbage Person

India doesn't strike me as the kind of place where it's easy for most ethnic groups to end up as computer programmers in Chicago.

That's a fascinating apparent non sequitur.

• @Weng said:

Assuming they are gendered names, what the hell are Raja and Ranjan?

@FrostCat said:

If Ranjan's a first name, then going on the results of a quick Google search for "Ranjan", it's a male name.

But it also appear to be a last[1] name, and then of course all bets are off.

Any Indian name can either be a First, Middle or Last Name depending upon which part of India someone is from.There are a lot of male names that might sound feminine for you muricans.

• @AlexMedia said:

Oh, and @stillwater: what do you hate most when you are dealing with your customers?

I assume we have problems with customers that are common in every part of the world.

Ask for X, we develop X, The customer finally wants Y cos he changed his mind about X.

Ask X for 10 dollars, X gets delivered, Customer goes "I can pay you guyzz only 2 dollars. I don't want to give so much moneyz"

Pretty generic shit .

I mostly get pissed with the End user who starts using the application without RTFM and then logs hundreds of Issues. The above said user speaks very broken English as well, so it takes 10X the time it takes to solve a problem otherwise.

Stupid annoying shit mostly.

@stillwater said:

Any Indian name can either be a First, Middle or Last Name depending upon which part of India someone is from.

Yup. And I know a Sikh whose "middle" name was Singh, only I gather it's not really a middle name the way we would think of it; more like an infix honorific/title?

• @FrostCat said:

Yup. And I know a Sikh whose "middle" name was Singh, only I gather it's not really a middle name the way we would think of it; more like an infix honorific/title?

Technically there are no surnames or middle names in India

Most indian names are usually one single word, say Johnny.

Johnny becomes Johnny Singh in any official paperwork

Singh here usually is the father's name or family name

In case Singh is the father's name, there is some other name between Johnny and Singh , which is usually the family name or the clan name, and this is mostly unused.

• @anotherusername said:

@stillwater said:
    @asdf said:
    Plot twist: He's working for Oracle, but too ashamed to admit it

What's with the oracle hate? I really wanna know

1. Oracle SQL
    2. Java
    3. Are there other Oracle technologies? Blessedly, I have not yet had the need to encounter any more of them.

4. Peoplesoft

@stillwater said:

In case Singh is the father's name, there is some other name between Johnny and Singh , which is usually the family name or the clan name, and this is mostly unused.

Well, this guy's full name was something like John Singh Smith. I guess I didn't understand his explanation fully. I already knew that the "last name" can be something like a patronymic or maybe clan/caste name. (I don't remember the right terms here so I'm being kind of inexact.)

• @FrostCat said:

Well, this guy's full name was something like John Singh Smith. I guess I didn't understand his explanation fully. I already knew that the "last name" can be something like a patronymic or maybe clan/caste name. (I don't remember the right terms here so I'm being kind of inexact.)

We here in India have trouble with this more often than you think. Every John Smith here is addressed simply as John, regardless of age, hierarchy, respect blah blah. There is no calling someone Mr.Smith ever.

We just "sir" everybody the fuck out though.

• @OffByOne said:

4. Peoplesoft

Ugh. You had to remind me of that...

@stillwater said:

We just "sir" everybody the fuck out though

Yep, seen that. I assume it's more of a cultural thing not a lost in translation type deal?

• @sloosecannon said:

Yep, seen that. I assume it's more of a cultural thing not a lost in translation type deal?

Mostly Cultural. We also use it when there is panic or to calm things down when they're fucked.

Watch out for the Indian guy starting with "Hello Mr.Smith.." and then switch to "But sir..." when someone points out he has made a mistake.

@stillwater said:

Watch out for the Indian guy starting with "Hello Mr.Smith.." and then switch to "But sir..." when someone points out he has made a mistake.

That sounds exactly like those tech support scam guys