Stupid browser restrictions



  • TotalJobs claims in their "Browser Policy" that "it has become necessary to cease supporting or actively block some browser versions", including Mozilla, Firefox, and IE5. Supporting Opera but not Firefox is a big WTF on its own - both Opera and Firefox have good standards-compliant JS rendering, unlike IE. But the bigger WTF is they can't even implement a browser block properly: I was able to get to the site just fine.



  • Wow, that is the stupidest thing I have ever seen!



  • That really is awful.

    Do they give a rationale for this anywhere? Or is it that the reasoning is so moronic that they're not going to explicitly explain it?
     



  • I browsed a few pages ther with ff 2.0, i didn't seem to be restricted in anyway. Maybe you should send them a message that not only do their blocking not work properly, but, worse, it renders correctly on firefox. Maybe they should correct their website so it does not render properly on FF 🙂



  • Reminds me the WTF javascript at leforem.be ( official work agency in belgium ). "Unfortunately" the problem is now corrected by you had this stupid javascript test when searching ( while using javascript just for a dumb search form is itself a WTF ) :

      if (OS == 'Mac' && browser != 'msie') {
    alert("Navigateur incompatible");
    }

     Which means, indeed, incompatible browser. So : if you're on a mac, you NEED Internet Explorer to browse the website ! Not firefox, safari or anything else. If you used Windows or Linux, Firefox is Ok ( another WTF being : why you need to test the OS if you use a portable browser ? ).

     

    By the way, "standards-compliant JS rendering" just means nothing. CSS rendering, ok 😉 Javascript as a language is well supported by browsers, but js <> browser interaction is not standardized ( XMLHttpRequest implementation varies, and no standard exists. But, unlike CSS hacks, js workarounds usually perfectly work ).



  • @aikii said:

    Reminds me the WTF javascript at leforem.be ( official work agency in belgium ). "Unfortunately" the problem is now corrected by you had this stupid javascript test when searching ( while using javascript just for a dumb search form is itself a WTF ) :

      if (OS == 'Mac' && browser != 'msie') {
    alert("Navigateur incompatible");
    }

     Which means, indeed, incompatible browser. So : if you're on a mac, you NEED Internet Explorer to browse the website ! Not firefox, safari or anything else. If you used Windows or Linux, Firefox is Ok ( another WTF being : why you need to test the OS if you use a portable browser ? ).

     

    By the way, "standards-compliant JS rendering" just means nothing. CSS rendering, ok 😉 Javascript as a language is well supported by browsers, but js <> browser interaction is not standardized ( XMLHttpRequest implementation varies, and no standard exists. But, unlike CSS hacks, js workarounds usually perfectly work ).


    A half-decent library (Prototype, MooTools, etc) will take care of your JS workarounds better than most people could do it themselves.



  • @fennec said:

    A half-decent library (Prototype, MooTools, etc) will take care of your JS workarounds better than most people could do it themselves.

     Indeed, this is was I meant. As a programming language javascript easily allows abstraction layers, while with HTML and CSS, you're on your own when it comes to the layout ( text formating is easily abstracted by a wiki syntax, indeed )
     

    About browser hacks, png transparency support for IE6 is quite a WTF. See the retarded .. I mean related article in the MS Knowledgebase.

    Easy : instead of just using a img tag, create a div and set the image as parameter of a nonstandard filter stylesheet directive. Fortunately, this can be automated with javascript, and a library. Haven't tried it yet, though.



  • APPLIES TO
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0
    Microsoft Internet Explorer 6.0

    Applies to all 7 versions of MSIE6....



  • @SpoonMeiser said:

    That really is awful.

    Do they give a rationale for this anywhere? Or is it that the reasoning is so moronic that they're not going to explicitly explain it?
     

     

    I wouldn't be surprised if it's for ad revenue. A decent number of people who use Firefox use ad blocking, and about half of the content (as far as blockable items reported by adblocker) are from ad servers.
     



  • The WTF is that none of you understand the OR statement. "it has become necessary to cease supporting or actively block some browser versions" It does not say that Firefox is blocked, just that it is either blocked or no longer supported.



  • @sycro said:

    The WTF is that none of you understand the OR statement. "it has become necessary to cease supporting or actively block some browser versions" It does not say that Firefox is blocked, just that it is either blocked or no longer supported.

     Bah. I read the statement provided and not the website. And stupid forum won't let me delete it now.
     


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.