Eurosport Player cannot Firefox

• Dupa

OK, so today starts the new ski jumping season, so, as usual, I headed to eurosportplayer.com to purchase a subscription.

Everything went spectacularly well and their player seems to be improving every year, so I was eager to test it. And this is what I got under Firefox:

Text translates to: "How do I turn on Silverlight addon?" "You can also use one of the following browser:"

BTW, the fact that there are two languages is probably another symptom of the TRWTF.

Well, I checked about:addons and sure enough, Silverlight plugin is there, listed. OK, but it's set to "always ask", maybe the player has some custom code that checks if it can run Silverlight and since it cannot, 'cause I didn't explicitly allow it, it fails. Changed it to "always allow". Rechecked.

Fail.

Fucking fail.

But did you notice, that they have only to logos there, Windows (Edge, IE) and Chrome? Well, it works beautifully with Edge. (BTW, checking it out on Edge logged me out on Firefox. Fucking stupid morons.)

So, what's so bad about FF that they cannot allow it? They weren't paid to do so, or are they just plain lazy and incompetent?

• TR :wtf: WTF is that the Silverlight plugin is deprecated and won't be supported by any browser for much longer because the plugin uses the NPAPI.

Edge doesn't have it in the first place, Chrome disabled the NPAPI recently.

• Dupa

So, as so often, TR :wtf: is Microsoft?

• No, that change has been anounced a long time ago. It's Eurosport who are the problem for clinging to a technology they know is going away.

Amazon, for example, made the switchover several months ago.

Firefox is in fact the browser who'll have the NPAPI for the longest time, removing it only at the end of 2016.

• @Rhywden said:

Firefox is in fact the browser who'll have the [deprecated technology] for the longest time

What!? That's a new one...weren't they also planning to disable HTTP and require HTTPS only?

• Aye. Which makes this even more interesting 😄

• @kt_ said:

OK, so today starts the new ski jumping season, so, as usual, I headed to eurosportplayer.com to purchase a subscription.

This is already waaaaay far out of my experience.

Or are you saying you bought a subscription to buy something else to watch while the tedious boring ski jumping is going on?

@kt_ said:

(BTW, checking it out on Edge logged me out on Firefox. Fucking stupid morons.)

Did Jeff Atwood's goon squad get a second job?

@kt_ said:

So, what's so bad about FF that they cannot allow it? They weren't paid to do so, or are they just plain lazy and incompetent?

Honestly when there's 3 completely free options to do something, I'm not that annoyed by requiring one of only 2 of them.

• @LB_ said:

What!? That's a new one...weren't they also planning to disable HTTP and require HTTPS only?

Yeah, then they're going to get rid of submit buttons, then bookmarks, then remove all image support, then take out those annoying tabs, then...

The real WTF is, as it has been for the last 5 years or so, that anybody's still using Firefox. Inertia is a powerful force.

• BINNED

@blakeyrat said:

Or are you saying you bought a subscription to buy something else to watch while the tedious boring ski jumping is going on?

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/18b2iav9d8983jpg/original.jpg

• ?

• BINNED

Yup this is more like it 😆

• Everyone loves Horace.

• Dupa

@blakeyrat said:

Yup, I'm also counting on some nice snooker tournaments.

• Dupa

Ok, I checked and it looks like in fact, it works with Chrome and Edge without Silverlight, it's needed only for Firefox. Still no idea why it fails, though.

Bad foxy, bad!

• Presumably there's some DRM that the site requires that Firefox doesn't support because "letting people pay for stuff is bad".

• @kt_ said:

Ok, I checked and it looks like in fact, it works with Chrome and Edge without Silverlight, it's needed only for Firefox. Still no idea why it fails, though.

Bad foxy, bad!

It's probably the remnant of before. When they had the Silverlight stuff up. they ran into problems with Firefox and thus implemented this conditional blocking portal.

Then they switched away from Silverlight without also shutting down (or at least altering) the "redirect upon Firefox".

• Dupa

@ben_lubar said:

Presumably there's some DRM that the site requires that Firefox doesn't support because "letting people pay for stuff is bad".

@Rhywden said:

When they had the Silverlight stuff up. they ran into problems with Firefox and thus implemented this conditional blocking portal.

Silverlight used to work fine a year ago. Plus, WTF? How can it be it doesn't work with the second most popular browser. Because of nor articulated raisins.

They don't respect people! ARGWLBARR!!!!

• @kt_ said:

second most popular browser

IIRC, it's Chrome > IE > FF atm.

• Dupa

Woah, it's that bad? Shame.

• European statistics may vary.

Germany still seems to be the potentially last remaining place where Firefox is still #1, for example.

• Dupa

BTW, its interesting how those stats are accurate and measured.

(Last heading)

• @kt_ said:

BTW, checking it out on Edge logged me out on Firefox. Fucking stupid morons.

Why do you think they're morons? This seems like a reasonable way to prevent you from sharing your account with other people.

• @blakeyrat said:

The real WTF is, as it has been for the last 5 years or so, that anybody's still using Firefox. Inertia is a powerful force.
    Firefox is, in some ways, the new Internet Explorer. It comes bundled by default with several linux distributions (Ubuntu has it, Debian has Iceweasel which is just a rename without copyrighted images) so you have the "I use it because it came with my computer" effect.

Firefox is leading web development in some ways, but other things it does are just... odd...

• Dupa

Well, for one thing, because they have this nifty thing "remember me" and it beats the purpose. I don't want to re-log-in every time I happen to be running a different browser.

If they really wanted to do this, they could at least block the player and don't touch fucking login status.

• Dupa

@LB_ said:

Firefox is, in some ways, the new Internet Explorer. It comes bundled by default with several linux distributions

That's the only one similarity. Show me others, cause I can't see it. It's a great browser, in terms of usability Chrome is on par with it, so personal preference is the deciding factor here, and all IEs, Edges are worse and less popular.

• BINNED

@kt_ said:

in terms of usability Chrome is on par with it,

I used to run it for weeks (of course on Linux). Recently I have to SHIFT+F2 and restart every few hours (if Hangout and few other tabs are open) or it would eat all the memory and become dog slow. I think at this point Mozilla does not care about FF any more.

@kt_ said:

so personal preference is the deciding factor here

Yes, otherwise I had switched to Chrome already

• @LB_ said:

Firefox is leading web development in some ways,

They... are?

• Dupa

Well, MMDV, I haven't had problems with Firefox hogging memory for some time now. But it used to be a problem like a two years ago.

Maybe change your distro? 😜

• @blakeyrat said:

They... are?

Technologically, they're about on par with Chrome if you don't count all the unstable APIs that are kept behind experimental flags. Philosophically, where many of the 'pushes' to a more modern web are credited largely to Google, in many of those cases Google joined an initiative started by Mozilla and then added the weight and resources of a multinational company to the movement, leading to bigger media exposure.

Technologically, Microsoft is doing quite well too and is gaining up on both, implementing many of the APIs they were missing and they're now rapidly closing the gap. They also lead the field in ECMAScript 6/7 compliance.

And to no-one's surprise: Apple comes in dead last on all fronts web.

• except emoji. don't forget the amount of emoji in iOS.

• @Arantor said:

except emoji. don't forget the amount of emoji in iOS.

No kidding. Have you seen the list of formally encoded emoji in Unicode?

Insanity!

• Java Dev

Surely there's a more targeted way to reset the load than a full-on reboot?

• BINNED

It restarts the browser, keeping all the tabs. It is not rebooting the machine.

• And also Firefox sucked Ragnax's cock!

Apparently.

• Dupa

OMFG, Robert Mateja.

Let me guess the line-up:
    Robert Mateja
    Wojciech Skupień
    Marcin Bachleda
    Adam Małysz

Am a'aight?

• Notification Spam Recipient

@blakeyrat said:

I still need it for silverlight because for some batshit reason we can't take it out back and shoot it yet. I would switch to the other subscription service but I quite like having my tv subscription on phone/laptop/tablet and the other subscription is a rokubox rip off only.

The service is also based in Ireland which might add to its retardedness.

@kt_ said:

Yup, I'm also counting on some nice snooker tournaments.
    Ooooooooooohh I'd get it just for that!

• Dupa

@DogsB said:

Ooooooooooohh I'd get it just for that!

UK Championship's coming, 24 November - 6 December. It's cheap, here in Poland it costs around $4/mo. 😉

• @blakeyrat said:

And also Firefox sucked Ragnax's cock!

No, but I heard a rumor that she gave you blue balls... ;)

• Dupa

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@kt_ said:

discourse broke

Shocking.

• @kt_ said:

I haven't had problems with Firefox hogging memory for some time nowsince I didn't install it on my current computer.

FTFM

• Dupa

OK, it's been 64 days (I know it for sure because :disco:🐎) since I started using the new EuroSport player, so I think it's the right time for an update.

1. Fucked up log-out system.
      You see, the player loves to log you out, for any fucking reason. You want to reload the page: I'll log you out. Sometimes. And sometimes I won't. You want to open a new tab, so you can switch quickly to another feed and see what's going on but you don't want to wait for it to buffer properly each time and lose those important seconds? Fuck you, I'll log you out.
      Why? Probably because then you could pay for one membership and let many people watch the program. Great! So why not simply "pause" or "stop" or "block" the transmission in all but the newest tab? "That sounds like work", I guess.

2. Fucked up log-out system but only for one device.
      But you want to watch a match while you're out and someone wants to watch a match while they're in? No problem: just use the native EuroSport Player app. You won't get logged out. Why? "That sounds like work", I guess.

3. Fucked up log-out system continued.
      But there is this great checkbox called "remember me" on the login page. It should work, right? Nope. No such luck. Nope. Fuck you.

4. Fucked up "additions"
      So you're watching a let's say... snooker match. And O'Sullivan is trying to pot into the greenyellow pocket. You hold your breath and then... you can't see anything. Why? 'Cause some fucking loser has scored a goal in some fucking Bundesleague match and we thought you might be interested (don't matter you haven't watched any football games yet, for like 2 months) so we'll just pop this notification in the upper-left-hand corner that will completely hide the ever-important greenyellow pocket that you were so intently watching. Because fuck you.

So yeah, EuroSport player is great in the sense that it allows you to watch EuroSport using a large range of devices and that it allows you to watch EuroSport at all, without paying a cable company. But other than that: it majorly sucks.

But I'm bound to it. German Masters is coming up in a few days and there's still like two more months of ski jumping, so yeah, I'll keep paying. Especially since it's only $4, so I guess I get what I paid for. But I'd gladly pay twice or thrice as much, if it meant a better player.

TLDR: EuroSport Player sucks ass but it's still awesome. 😕

• @kt_ said:

...upper-left-hand corner that will completely hide the ever-important green pocket...

Wouldn't that be the yellow pocket? ;)

• "...and for those of you who are watching in black and white, the pink is next to the green." ?

• Dupa

@coldandtired said:

Wouldn't that be the yellow pocket?

Of course it is. I had a white nasty brainfart. 😄