The real WTF: transportation in Seattle



  • [img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CURPGwRUsAAGaSV.jpg:large[/img]



  • Also if your bus is being photographed, maybe do a better job of pulling up to the curb.



  • I regularly got from Capitol Hill to Key Arena in ~30-40 minutes: DISPROVED.

    Also you forgot the ferries.



  • I mentioned the ferries and floating bridges on a subsequent tweet.



  • bus drivers don't give a fuck, never, if they did, even for a photo, they risk shaming from their colleagues


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    Well, sure, all the buses are in the way!



  • What the hell, is that a bike rack on the front?


  • I survived the hour long Uno hand

    Looks like it.



  • @swayde said:

    What the hell, is that a bike rack on the front?

    Yes...?

    Is that a trick question or...?



  • Looks dangerous as shit..



  • Well, you get OFF the bike before putting it on the rack, and cyclists actually sit inside the bus just like the normal passengers.



  • Oregon and Washington have a significant amount of cyclists, and have designated bike lanes in the road. Buses have a thing on the front to hold the bikes, and clamp them tight to secure them. The buses are a bit longer, but the bike racks are pretty safe in traffic.


  • SockDev

    @Matches said:

    he buses are a bit longer, but the bike racks are pretty safe in traffic.

    so long as you actually enter the buss for travel instead of insisting on riging your bike on the front of the bus.



  • Yes I already made that joke, but thank you for rehashing a far inferior version of it.

    Are there places with buses that don't have bike racks? I honestly didn't know that was a thing. Buses here have always had them, the only change has been a few years ago they moved from a 2-bike model to a model that supports 3 bikes.


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @accalia said:

    rigingriding your bike on the front of the bus

    That seems like a terrible idealot of fun. Let's not do that evergo do that right now!


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    Yes I already made that joke, but thank you for rehashing a far inferior version of it.

    you are welcome.

    Pleasure to be of service.



  • Well, you can ask the driver for help, the thing flips down on the models I've seen, and can hold up to 3 bikes. It's similar in design to the ones that attach to the back of normal cars.



  • Just about everywhere outside of Oregon and Seattle has very bad public transport in the usa, outside of select cities. The vast majority don't have bike transport.



  • It just looks like it would impair the vision for the driver. Where I'm from baby carts and bikes go in the back.
    Inb4 :giggity:
    Dammit: strollers



  • It flips down when there are bikes on it. It's only up when it's empty.



  • @swayde said:

    It just looks like it would impair the vision for the driver.

    I guess if Gary Coleman is driving, he might have kind of a hard time.


  • area_deu

    Germany.



  • UK. (Certainly Newcastle, London, Bristol and Manchester IME. This doesn't preclude having some backwater village with a bus that does... )



  • So... what do you do if you have a bike and you want to take it on the bus? Just cram it in the handicapped area and say "fuck you" to everybody you're displacing?



  • It's probably more like the max in Oregon, where there are bike hooks where you flip the bike up or stand with it by a rail



  • @blakeyrat said:

    So... what do you do if you have a bike and you want to take it on the bus?

    Stop being a lazy twat and use the bike for the whole journey. Or get a foldable bike.

    @blakeyrat said:

    Just cram it in the handicapped area and say "fuck you" to everybody you're displacing?

    Or that.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @PJH said:

    Stop being a lazy twat and use the bike for the whole journey. Or get a foldable bike.

    Bike racks on buses are a reasonable thing because running buses everywhere isn't a thing Murica does.

    When you live 2 miles from a bus stop and work 2 miles from a bus stop, having a bike to hop on makes a serious difference.



  • @accalia said:

    you are welcome.

    Pleasure to be of service.

    :giggity:?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Just cram it in the handicapped area (:giggity:) and say "fuck you" to everybody you're displacing?

    Sounds like you've done this before.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @swayde said:

    It just looks like it would impair the vision for the driver

    Nope--I used one of those racks once to avoid a downpour. The driver's up so high that the blind spot is really tiny.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Are there places with buses that don't have bike racks?

    Netherlands, never seen them. Though with the kind of routes buses take around here, it's faster to bike the whole way.

    You can take your bike on the train, but you have to buy a separate ticket (children's rate, IIRC) for a non-folding bike.


  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    So... what do you do if you have a bike and you want to take it on the bus?

    that's what people used to do before those racks existed.

    DFW-area light rail has places where there are no seats, and hooks so you can hang your bike in those places.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    A goddamned sci-fi MONORAIL,

    I loved my visits to Seattle. I have no friggin' clue why Seattle has a monorail, but it sure as hell is fun to ride!

    @PleegWat said:

    Netherlands, never seen them. Though with the kind of routes buses take around here, it's faster to bike the whole way.

    Dutch buses only take folding bikes, regular bikes are not allowed on them due to space constraints. It's not much of a big deal, Dutch people cycle a lot and don't mind using their bike for interregional transport. Even when it rains.



  • @AlexMedia said:

    I loved my visits to Seattle. I have no friggin' clue why Seattle has a monorail, but it sure as hell is fun to ride!

    Back in the 60s there was a plan to make the monorail into the city's mass transit system, instead of subways or street-level light rail. Sadly, they never actually built it out.

    @AlexMedia said:

    Dutch buses only take folding bikes, regular bikes are not allowed on them due to space constraints. It's not much of a big deal, Dutch people cycle a lot and don't mind using their bike for interregional transport. Even when it rains.

    That 510 route pictured drives about 35 miles along a major freeway.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Back in the 60s there was a plan to make the monorail into the city's mass transit system, instead of subways or street-level light rail. Sadly, they never actually built it out.

    Ah, thanks :smile:

    @blakeyrat said:

    That 510 route pictured drives about 35 miles along a major freeway.

    We have trains for those distances.



  • So do we? The 510 and the Sounder basically go to the same place.

    The Sounder, being a full-sized big-ass train has plenty of room inside for bikes.



  • This post is deleted!

  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    The Sounder, being a full-sized big-ass train

    Four carriages, double decker? Could be a fair bit of room. How frequently do they run?

    <googles>

    Just 6 times a day?! No wonder people use their cars a lot, choking all the freeways with traffic.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Are there places with buses that don't have bike racks?

    I’ve never seen any around here in the Netherlands. Probably because people tend to take either the bus or ride a bike — but you tend to see plenty of bicycles parked around some bus stops.


  • Dupa

    @JazzyJosh said:

    Also you forgot the ferries.

    The proper term is "gays", you intolerant piece of shit! :trolleybus:


  • Dupa

    @blakeyrat said:

    So... what do you do if you have a bike and you want to take it on the bus? Just cram it in the handicapped area and say "fuck you" to everybody you're displacing?

    In Poland that's the right thing to do. Why would you bother about other people, are you a fucking socialist or something?



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Are there places with buses that don't have bike racks?

    To add to the long list of replies: here, this should answer the question:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=bus&tbm=isch



  • @kt_ said:

    In Poland that's the right thing to do.

    But only in the eyes of person doing it (:giggity:). Everyone else will yell at this one asshole for being asshole. And if this asshole cyclist takes a bus without bike, he will yell at all the other asshole cyclists too.



  • The states and us are a big place,those six runs are probably fairly empty too.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    So do we? The 510 and the Sounder basically go to the same place.

    The Sounder, being a full-sized big-ass train has plenty of room inside for bikes.

    I've ridden bigger - 10 carriages double decker, all seats occupied. I think that service runs 4 times an hour instead of 2 now.



  • We spent the 30 years before commuter trains became trendy again tearing up "unneeded" railroad track and turning it into cycling paths.

    Northbound, at least, the track is atrocious. It's better southbound.

    Frankly, 6 trips a day is probably the most they could manage. It's great for events, though, they usually have it running on weekends for football games and such.



  • Most of those are tour, charter, school buses where you wouldn't expect bike racks.

    But still this is amazing to me, how in one location you consider something so normal and every other location in the world sucks shit because Seattle is the best place, fuck you.

    Seriously, though, I can't even think of an argument for not having bike racks. It costs, what, $250 for the LIFETIME of a bus? Sure even if it's barely touched, it'll produce way more value than that in a couple years.



  • This post is deleted!

  • Discourse touched me in a no-no place

    @blakeyrat said:

    We spent the 30 years before commuter trains became trendy again tearing up "unneeded" railroad track and turning it into cycling paths.

    We did that too. But we also didn't give up on running commuter trains. We don't think “6 trains a day”, we think “6 trains an hour”. More at peak times. And that's just one line (well, maybe 2; it's a bit complicated). There are many other lines too, and a lot of them are run taking as many people as they can cram on. (We could do with a few of the Japanese metro guys that push extra people on on the busiest services.) DMUs and EMUs are one of the keys to getting that sort of throughput; train designs use speed of turnaround and acceleration as key design criteria, and loco-hauled trains just aren't efficient enough in key aspects. Yes, it would have been better if more of the old lines had been kept, but there's still enough about to take a major load off the roads (when train lines are closed, all the other modes ot transit are one good sneeze away from gridlock).

    The thing we don't and can't have is double-decker trains. Tunnels and bridges are too low for that (because of historical raisins). :frowning: We compensate with longer trains (where platforms permit) and higher frequencies. Yes, this means that it's very much a passenger-focussed network, rather than a freight one. (There are some freight movements, but they're mostly either on selected routes that have lower service frequencies or overnight.)

    I don't live in a part of the world where water transit makes sense in the first place, except when the river floods I suppose.



  • @dkf said:

    We did that too. But we also didn't give up on running commuter trains. We don't think “6 trains a day”, we think “6 trains an hour”. More at peak times.

    Blah blah blah.

    Could you people STOP SAYING "WE" WITHOUT DEFINING WHO THE FUCK "WE" IS?

    WHO IS "WE!"? What the fuck are you talking about!?

    We are very annoyed by your post.

    @dkf said:

    The thing we don't and can't have is double-decker trains. Tunnels and bridges are too low for that (because of historical raisins).

    I'm guessing "we" are in Europe somewhere, not in the US (or Russia) where the railroad loading gauge isn't embarrassingly tiny and shameful. LIKE YOUR WIENER! ZIING!


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.