No updation for you



  • Just in from our other-favorite-Korean-company™

    Did I mention the WTF installing this SDK is? Did I mention I have to run this as root because of this?


  • Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election

    @Eldelshell said:

    Did I mention I have to run this as root because of this?

    Did you expect to be able to run an installer without admin/root?



  • Yes. Here in *nux land you can install software without admin privileges.


  • :belt_onion:

    Qt installer tends to fuck it up as well if not ran as root. It's annoying as all hell.



  • You're on *nix? That's different. :doing_it_wrong:



  • @Onyx said:

    Qt installer tends to fuck it up as well if not ran as root. It's annoying as all hell.

    So does the current version of git. 2.6.3 happily starts off, uninstalls the old version and starts installing to the old location (Program Files). And fails. And bails. No git left. (So much for rollback) So you have to run-as admin (if you want it in PF). Which means no more desktop shortcut installed because (by their design) it only installs for the current user. (I've learned to copy the old shortcut before updating)


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @dcon said:

    uninstalls the old version and starts installing to the old location

    Wait, hold on, how does it uninstall without admin privileges (implied, I doubt this is the case) and subsequently fail to install with the same lack of admin privileges? Shouldn't the same security that allowed you to delete things also allow you to create things?

    Am I missing something, or is this a case of automatic elevation failure?



  • Beats the fuck out of me... Unless the old installer tweaks permissions of the files to allow anyone access... All I know is they totally screwed 2.6.2 -> 2.6.3 upgrades. You simply cannot change a per-machine install to a per-user install.



  • @dcon said:

    So does the current version of git. 2.6.3 happily starts off, uninstalls the old version and starts installing to the old location (Program Files). And fails. And bails. No git left. (So much for rollback) So you have to run-as admin (if you want it in PF). Which means no more desktop shortcut installed because (by their design) it only installs for the current user. (I've learned to copy the old shortcut before updating)

    Whaaaaa? Git? Buggy!?

    Can't be.


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.