Overcome by Disgust

• ♿ (Parody)

That's true, but not from the government. Just gullible Irishmen.

• @boomzilla said:

Are you ignoring that it actually happened?

No, I'm saying it's rather meaningless given that ISIS apparently already have (or had) enough people in Europe to orchestrate such attack, that they can easily use any other route to achieve their goal, and the more we try to shoo off the refugees the easier it will be for them to sow propaganda.

@boomzilla said:

I think you think I think that. Even after I explicitly said the opposite.

What the fuck do you want, then? "Well, we should let them in, but we should be scared about them"?

@boomzilla said:

But it's OK to scream "RAAAAACIST" at people who are interested in considering the downsides?

Look, I'd rather have the refugees form a nice line at the border control and get checked thoroughly, but that's not the case. Every solution will have downsides. Point is to try to choose one that's not going to turn us into history's villains.

• No, gullible Americans.

• ♿ (Parody)

@Maciejasjmj said:

No, I'm saying it's rather meaningless given that ISIS apparently already have (or had) enough people in Europe to orchestrate such attack, that they can easily use any other route to achieve their goal, and the more we try to shoo off the refugees the easier it will be for them to sow propaganda.

That's a much better argument than accusing people of being heartless racists, which is the effect that a lot of posters here have been having.

@Maciejasjmj said:

What the fuck do you want, then? "Well, we should let them in, but we should be scared about them"?

Yeah, there are lots of reasons to be concerned. Beyond security questions, how do you get them settled? Do you (or they) even want to do that permanently? Additionally, I think it's worthwhile to keep track of all immigrants .

@Maciejasjmj said:

Point is to try to choose one that's not going to turn us into history's villains.

I don't give a shit about history. I care about people.

@tufty said:

No, gullible Americans.

Yes, who also thought of themselves as Irish.

• Considered Harmful

@boomzilla said:

@LaoC said:
    What would knowing that Kara Ben Nemsi from Aleppo is actually Kara Ben Nemsi from Aleppo gain you?

Then you know he (or she?) isn't one of your home grown jihadis sneaking back into the country.
    You might know if they were known to the police before. Which may or may not have been relevant for one out of nine or more terrorists in a single attack, most probably not a single one before.

@LaoC said:
    Kinda related, from a German magazine, here is a statistic of terror victims by year (orange: in France)
    Getting rid of the Evil Empire was a good thing for them, based on that chart.
    Correlation != causality. That chart can hep you discover correlations, to find causalities you have to look at the source data. If you do that, you'll find that most of the worst attacks were perpetrated by secession movements (*IRA, ETA etc.) and neonazis. Also in the top league are Abu Nidal and Hezbollah, not exactly best friends with the soviets.

• @boomzilla said:

Yes, who also thought of themselves as Irish.

Cultural Appropriation! Cultural Appropriation! He touched me on the behind!

Story time.

Many years ago, I shared a flat in London with an American girl, by the name of Andrea. She was the dead spit of Daryl Hannah. No, really. And no, I never managed to get her into bed. Anyroadup, her brother Mark was over, and being "Irish" demanded to be taken somewhere that served decent stout. One rather "stout" lunchtime later (Beamish or Murphys, I forget which), I decanted myself out of the pub and wobbled off back to work, leaving Andrea to deal with her now near-comatose brother.

That evening, off to the pub. Ferret and Firkin, Lots Road, with a bunch of friends, including a German friend, "Boy". Boy worked in Moscow, and was over on holiday with his brother, Tim. Tim could drink, but Boy was outstanding. So, after a significant number of pints of Dogbolter, we staggered off towards the curry house for some further cultural appropriation. And further libation, of course. During the meal, Mark leans over to Boy, and says

So, Boy. You're German. Can you speak German?

Mark was "Oirish". His best friend back home was a "Jorman" who spoke as much German as you can read.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@Maciejasjmj said:

they don't really need to sneak into Europe since they already have people here?

+infinity *2

PLUS if the "homegrowns" can travel freely anyways, what possible reason is there for "sneaking back in"?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@boomzilla said:

Yeah, there are lots of reasons to be concerned. Beyond security questions, how do you get them settled?

How do you get people settled now?

@boomzilla said:

Do you (or they) even want to do that permanently?

It's almost like there already are systems in place for temporary or permanent immigration.

With one additional question: "If you were to go back to your home country, would you be brutally murdered by militant insane motherfuckers?" It's kind of a catch-all question.

@boomzilla said:

Additionally, I think it's worthwhile to keep track of all immigrants .

How do you currently keep track of citizens?

Or were you thinking of "gold star on clothing" tracking?

• ♿ (Parody)

@Lorne_Kates said:

Or were you thinking of "gold star on clothing" tracking?

Oh definitely!

@Lorne_Kates said:

How do you currently keep track of citizens?

This is one of those jobs that Americans won't do so we hire Mexicans.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@boomzilla said:

Oh definitely!

That's sexist.

@boomzilla said:

This is one of those jobs that Americans won't do so we hire Mexicans.

But if the Mexicans are all working to keep track of the Syrians, who will do your lawn maintenance.

Wait-- you'll suddenly have a bunch of Syrians who need work. I see your plan.

So the Mexicans get "promoted" to a makeshift managerial position where they add no value except to watch other people work, for a fraction of the price that they originally worked at. It's the American dream come true.

• Considered Harmful

@xaade said:

Funny that, time and time again, the terrorists we catch aren't really practicing their faith. Even the female suicide bombers are partying and drinking.

As I don't usually read the tabloids I only get the the reference now. Another great fact-checking job by Daily Mail & Co. I happened to get to know someone like this once when she had fled Iran and applied for asylum. She was very lucky the Iranian police didn't just keep her imprisoned when she was taken for "questioning" about the fuckup she had nothing at all to do with.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

Some of them came to Europe on boats. Let's ban fucking boats, why don't we.

That's the kind of attitude you need to do well in Australian politics. Interested in a change of career?

• Darkies. All look the same, innit.

• This post is deleted!

• ♿ (Parody)

This is interesting:

The 17-page Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) Intelligence Report, issued to law enforcement last week, says ISIS likely has been able to print legitimate-looking Syrian passports since taking over the city of Deir ez-Zour last summer, home to a passport office with “boxes of blank passports” and a passport printing machine. Another passport office was located in Raqqa, Syria, which has long been ISIS’s de facto capital.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

Teh News: OMFG! Extremely biased and unscientific poll shows some Canadians "worried" about incoming Syrian refugees PANIC FEAR!!!!

Reality: Toronto Pearson's Airport had to release a statement asking people to hold off coming in to greet refugees and give them welcome, food, clothing, etc, because the airport was overloaded. ❤ 🍁

• Meanwhile, a sixth member of the Paris / BeIgium terrorist group (the third Bataclan suicide bomber) has been identified from DNA samples. Another French citizen.

So that's 5 French, 1 Belgian, 1 unknown and 2 others who were travelling on fake Syrian passports.

No actual Syrians identified as yet.