Fallout 4 Thread OMG SPOILERS INSIDE MAYBE

• @blakeyrat said:

It's a VIDEO GAME designed to be used with a GAME CONTROLLER.

It's a PC game, PCs generally come with keyboard and mouse.

@blakeyrat said:

You sound like a really annoying person.

Pot, kettle, etc.

@blakeyrat said:

Wait you HAVE an Xbox controller? (It's not spelled "XBOX" BTW.) And you don't use it for playing Fallout?

Why would I when I have a superior pointing device available.

@blakeyrat said:

Right. Those 100 million people playing FPS games with game controllers are all sadists. That is not at all an insane and ridiculous thing to say.

If they have the option to use a mouse in a shooter and they opt for a gamepad yes.

@blakeyrat said:

Right; the best use of Bethesda's time would be to spend months working out how best to change the control screen for those people who are so special they don't just use Dvorak, but they actually use modded Dvorak, and are also so idiotic they don't simply flip the keyboard layout using the little menu in the system tray. This is the type of person they should spend time making happy.

Fucking hell, this has nothing to do with Dvorak and you know it. Anyone who ever wants to rebind anything has to put up with it. Anyone who wants to change any graphical settings needs to put up with it. Anyone who ever wants to load a save has to put up with it...

@blakeyrat said:

I WILL NEVER UNDERSTAND PEOPLE WHO ARE MENTALLY ILL AND SPEND HALF THEIR PLAYTIME PICKING UP WORTHLESS SHIT AND THEN COMPLAIN ABOUT THE GAME AS IF THE GAME'S DEVELOPERS SHOULD HAVE ANTICIPATED AND ACCOMMODATED THEIR MENTAL ILLNESS.

If you deflated your superiority balloon for just a moment you'd realize picking up shit is a large portion of Fallout's gameplay, more so now that even worthless junk isn't worthless because you can use it to build shit in your settlements.

@blakeyrat said:

Or you can just press X right after picking it up (I think it's X? Can't remember.) But you'd have to keep your controller plugged in longer than a few seconds.

Not if it's in a container you can't. It only works if the item is sitting out in the open.

@blakeyrat said:

It's all in the correct position, considering YOU HAVE IT SORTED BY NAME AND THE SCREEN SAYS RIGHT FUCKING THERE YOU NEED TO HIT Z TO SORT BY WEIGHT.

No you fucking idiot, IT IS SORTED BY WEIGHT. "Sort (WT)" indicates the current sort mode...

@loopback0 said:

So press Z again.

...to sort it even more alphabetically?

Look, let me show you...

Default sort (name):

Sorted by value:

Sorted by weight:

Note that the problem can be visible here too. Both Deathclaw Meat and Grilled Radstag weigh 1 thing per unit. Since I have 2 of the former and 9 of the latter I'd expect Radstag to be on top but it isn't because the sorting is dumb and doesn't take the number of units you have into consideration.

• @Deadfast said:

Why would I when I have a superior pointing device available.

Well it sounded like you were spending most of your time dicking around with key configurations than actually playing a video game. So that's a reason.

@Deadfast said:

Anyone who ever wants to rebind anything has to put up with it.

So don't do that.

@Deadfast said:

If you deflated your superiority balloon for just a moment you'd realize picking up shit is a large portion of Fallout's gameplay,

Right; but only WORTHWHILE shit.

@Deadfast said:

more so now that even worthless junk isn't worthless because you can use it to build shit in your settlements.

I don't do that because it's boring.

@Deadfast said:

No you fucking idiot, IT IS SORTED BY WEIGHT.

So you just HAPPENED to take a screenshot where the inventory sorted by weight is identical to sorted by name.

Just play the fucking vidya game.

• @blakeyrat said:

Well it sounded like you were spending most of your time dicking around with key configurations than actually playing a video game. So that's a reason.

I'd much rather put up with that than trying to aim with a gamepad.

@blakeyrat said:

So don't do that.

What about the other things I listed? By the order of the rat I am not allowed to change my graphical settings either? Or load my game?

@blakeyrat said:

I don't do that because it's boring.

I do because I think it's not.

@blakeyrat said:

So you just HAPPENED to take a screenshot where the inventory sorted by weight is identical to sorted by name.

Just play the fucking vidya game.

No, I took a screenshot demonstrating the problem. The weight sorting is objectively useless without taking amount into consideration.

• @Deadfast said:

I'd much rather put up with that than trying to aim with a gamepad.

Have you ever tried?

• @Deadfast said:

The weight sorting is objectively useless without taking amount into consideration.

So you would only ever want to know items by the weight of the entire stack? You would never be looking at a pile of things while close to your weight limit and go "what is the smallest number of things I can drop to pick all this shit up?"

• @blakeyrat said:

Have you ever tried?

Yes, I started gaming on the PS2. Then I discovered the beauty of being able to aim properly.

@locallunatic said:

So you would only ever want to know items by the weight of the entire stack? You would never be looking at a pile of things while close to your weight limit and go "what is the smallest number of things I can drop to pick all this shit up?"

To be honest not really, at least not me personally. Usually a very heavy item like that would be a weapon or armour which are in separate categories, with generally much less stuff in them than the "Aid" category.

• Java Dev

@blakeyrat said:

Use a GAME CONTROLLER.

This is a bad habit game developers have been getting into since xbox controllers work on PC. They don't bother setting up proper keyboard layouts, instead opting to 1-to-1 mapping their horribly overloaded xbox controller mappings onto keyboard keys. This sometimes works well, but usually doesn't.

I'm still with @deadfast though - aiming on a mouse is far superior to aiming on a controller.

• Why should they? 95% of their customers are playing on controllers.

If you want the PC to be treated like a first-class citizen, figure out how to get the PC port first-class sales. It's that simple.

• @Onyx said:

a single NPC in Morrowind for like half an hour

That's because, once you talked to the first one, you don't ever have to talk to another one. Morrowind NPCs are hive minds.

@Onyx said:

Not a single piece of voice acting.

Imagine what you could do with a book!

You don't even have to follow game rules.

Hell, you can stop at any time and make the rest of it up.

@Onyx said:

Voicing the main character is a complete fail, no question about it.

For all the complaining, you can turn it off with two mods. One to give you the full text of what he will say (I use that one), and another that changes all his voices to empty. Turn off dialog camera, and you're good to go.

@Jaloopa said:

It ruined FF10.

Final fantasy is a cast.

The naming your own character is a token. It's not really creating a character.

@blakeyrat said:

I don't buy the Risen games

My worst mistake ever.

The high rating is because Gothic fans have a screw missing.

@blakeyrat said:

I don't buy Nintendo shit.

Chrono-anything, FFVI and FFIV, and Breath of Fire 4 were awesome...

@blakeyrat said:

the popularity of Twitch shows that there's value to making a game watchable by people who aren't directly controlling it.

There are a few games my wife will outright watch like a movie.

Assassin's Creed titles for example.

@loopback0 said:

It doesn't give you much guidance, leaves you to figure a lot out.

It tells you to make plant. You open menu, select plant, "Oh, I guess I need plant", you go find it.
    Not sure how they would have held your hand, besides Sturges literally handing you a plant first.

@cartman82 said:

You guys have whined about Bethesda giving up on immersive silent protagonist and rich text-based dialogues. I'm explaining why that's happening.

Exactly.

Games have been going cinematic instead of pragmatic for years now.

The difference between Morrowind and Skyrim, is how you find your information, and the scenic value.

In Morrowind, you can ask any NPC, and they'll know what they believably could know. And what you can ask is unlocked by what you've read incidentally elsewhere.

In Skyrim, each character has what they would say to a stranger. There are a few NPCs that are helpful enough to explain everything, and they do so at their pleasure.

Skyrim characters are more cinematic.

• @blakeyrat said:

MOSTLY BECAUSE OF THIS GIF:

If you had a real dog, and you walked up to this situation, and told your dog nothing.... what would you expect to happen?

Guess what you do in this game.

"Dogmeat?"

"sniff"

"Stay boy"

Totally reasonable.

This of course goes out the window when Danse walks through a mine field.

But he's also scripted to stand UNDER A ROCKET ENGINE EXHAUST

So maybe Danse is an idiot.

• @blakeyrat said:

Use a GAME CONTROLLER.

Wait, really?

I use a game pad, which lets me rebind it's keys, so I never noticed.

@blakeyrat said:

This complaint is so petty

Agreed.

@blakeyrat said:

Or you can just press X right after picking it up (I think it's X? Can't remember.) But you'd have to keep your controller plugged in longer than a few seconds.

Thanks... didn't notice this!

@blakeyrat said:

It's all in the correct position, considering YOU HAVE IT SORTED BY NAME AND THE SCREEN SAYS RIGHT FUCKING THERE YOU NEED TO HIT Z TO SORT BY WEIGHT.

(Admittedly, "Sort (WT)" is a little obscure when you first see it, but it's not too hard to figure out. And I'm sure its in Fallout 4's help section which I didn't bother reading.)

A real complaint is that I can't take only the junk from my companion with one key, the same as how I deposit it with only one key.

@Deadfast said:

Since I have 2 of the former and 9 of the latter I'd expect Radstag to be on top but it isn't because the sorting is dumb and doesn't take the number of units you have into consideration.

Why would it do that?

Why would it even care?

If you're trying to dump weight, it makes sense to dump the worst value to weight ratio first, which, in this game, is almost always the heaviest.

Why would it put a lighter thing at the top that might have the highest value to weight ratio because you have more of them?

And between two items that weigh the same per unit, it literally does not matter which you dump first.

• @xaade said:

So maybe Danse is an idiot.

"Maybe"? Danse is the biggest idiot in gaming, 2015. Easily.

What's worse about that rocket exhaust thing is he instantly forgives you. I mean I knew this wouldn't have the "relationship" system of Skyrim where every character keeps track of how much they like/dislike every other character, but sheesh. I just baked his ass. And he's like "whelp! Let's keep going I guess!"

• @blakeyrat said:

What's worse about that rocket exhaust thing is he instantly forgives you.

The only thing I can imagine, is that they tried to foreshadow the big reveal about Danse.

But yeah, he's an idiot.

And the fact that he retains his actually real xcisms (not just some microwhinisms), is.... just jarring.

@blakeyrat said:

What's worse about that rocket exhaust thing is he instantly forgives you.

What right would he to be mad.

He TOLD you to go push the big red button, and stood under an exhaust.

It would be like sticking your hand in a garbage disposal, and then asking someone to flip the breaker.

@blakeyrat said:

"whelp! Let's keep going I guess!"

"We make a great team."

"I agree."

me spews Mountain Dew all over monitor

• @xaade said:

He TOLD you to go push the big red button, and stood under an exhaust.

Does he if you wait long enough?

Both times I did it, I wailed on that button like mad the instant it was available. Fuck Danse. I honestly expected it to kill him on my first playthrough, was kind of disappointed it didn't.

• @blakeyrat said:

Does he if you wait long enough?

It took me a little bit to get to the button. I'll replay it and see. I think at least one of my saves is before that point.

• Just started playing this. Pretty jarring experience so far.

• My kidnapped infant son is basically last priority from the moment I ran into the first group of settlers
    • I have apparently forgotten about my wife getting shot in the head effectively 5 minutes ago. I picked up Piper as a companion. It's been like 3 days since and I'm trying to hook up with her I guess, since I'm passing those "flirt" checks
    • Speaking of dialogue, the new system sucks. 4 vague descriptions of my choices? What am I supposed to do with that?
    • I hate that my character speaks. The voice actor doesn't fit at all.
    • Getting power armor and fighting off a freaking deathclaw to start off the game really undercuts the impact those have traditionally had in the FO universe. If you ran into a deathclaw in New Vegas you had one or two shots to take it out or you were doomed.
    • There's no easy way to see what all your settlers are assigned to. That should be an obvious menu somewhere.

There's probably more. I'm still adjusting.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@xaade said:

It tells you to make plant. You open menu, select plant, "Oh, I guess I need plant", you go find it.Not sure how they would have held your hand, besides Sturges literally handing you a plant first.

That was weeks ago, I can't even remember which quests I was referring to. I also think that was before I figured out you could show quest locations on the map 😆

• After spending most of my long weekend on this, I have more thoughts.

• I kind of miss NV's weapon wear and repair system. The new crafting system seemed kind of tedious at first but now that I have the hang of it and some decent weapon builds it doesn't bother me as much.
    • Too many essential NPCs. Kind of ridiculous I can send my companion along ahead to get mauled to unconsciousness while I safely hang back to finish the fight. Then they are instantly ok again once it's clear. The flip side is that I would have lost like 40 companions by this point if they were killable, even not using them as a meat shield. That makes me think there are maybe some balance issues with combat.
    • I'm really annoyed my first settlement is a culdesac where half the structures are still standing and my options for building are limited to crude shack parts in open spaces. I want to patch up my house goddammit.
    • I do like the changes to radiation. Having a rad load affect your max health is much more impactful than the overall stat penalty from the last games. Radiation storms are also a neat addition.
    • I took a sneak upgrade for a perk and I have shadowed/muffled armor parts and I'm still getting spotted the instant there's a clear line of sight between me and an enemy. Very aggravating.

Overall I feel like I'm mostly over the learning curve and enjoying the game more. Curie and Strong are my favorite companions so far just for their comments.

• @fwd said:

That makes me think there are maybe some balance issues with combat.

There's the whole "explosives are nearly impossible to defend against" thing.

@fwd said:

I took a sneak upgrade for a perk and I have shadowed/muffled armor parts and I'm still getting spotted the instant there's a clear line of sight between me and an enemy.

I hate to ask the obvious, but you are pushing the button to go into sneak mode, right?

• @blakeyrat said:

There's the whole "explosives are nearly impossible to defend against" thing.

Yeah that's a major setback. You don't seem to be be able to target weapons now- shooting a grenade in hand was one of my favorite things to do in 3/NV.

@blakeyrat said:

I hate to ask the obvious, but you are pushing the button to go into sneak mode, right?

Yes. And I noticed the brackets narrow as you get closer to being detected, so I've been doing what I can to manage that. But moving any closer than the edge of scope range more than likely means I'm spotted.

• Oh, and that reminds me of one of my biggest gripes- npcs don't automatically show up on the radar now. That was a huge part of keeping yourself alive.

• @fwd said:

Yeah that's a major setback. You don't seem to be be able to target weapons now- shooting a grenade in hand was one of my favorite things to do in 3/NV.

You can still do that, it's just harder now that VATs does slow-time instead of pause.

@fwd said:

Yes. And I noticed the brackets narrow as you get closer to being detected, so I've been doing what I can to manage that. But moving any closer than the edge of scope range more than likely means I'm spotted.

.50 cal sniper rifle wrecks everything from long long range.