Preload Fallout 4.... or not

• @blakeyrat said:

That was Sony's own fault for trying to do that stupid-ass Cell chip thing that nobody could fucking work with.

But it's still a console, isn't it?

• It's a giant ape, rampaging through Times Square.

• I never quite understood the cell thing.

If it's about concurrency, well, games still don't use all that much concurrency.

It seemed like an effort to encourage developers not to port their games to XBox.

And in response.... the developers just switched to developing on XBox....

• @xaade said:

I never quite understood the cell thing.

Sony thought it was hot shit, forgot to actually talk to any actual game developers. Even newer engines had trouble working on that weird-ass configuration, legacy engines like Gamebryo had basically no chance at all.

And to make things worse: it was clear even very early on that the Xbox 360 was at least on-par, performance-wise, and most Xbox 360 games looked superior to the PS3 version of same.

Of course that's all reversed this console generation, go figure.

• PS4 is doing better?

I dropped out with PS3... Just didn't feel like it was worth it paying for two platforms PC and console

• Yeah. Sony fixed a lot of the dumb shit they did wrong with the PS3, and also Microsoft totally choked on the Xbone and fucked-up a lot of basic shit for a long time.

• That's a PC-6001.

Woooow.
    That thing has a Z80 clone in it.

• kills Dumbledore

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah. Sony fixed a lot of the dumb shit they did wrong with the PS3, and also Microsoft totally choked on the Xbone and fucked-up a lot of basic shit for a long time.

Seems a pretty common cycle. Dominate one generation, think you're untouchable, fuck up the next iteration, learn your lesson, dominate the next generation

• To be fair to Microsoft, Sony fucked up the PS3 generation SO THOROUGHLY they might have just assumed nobody working at Sony even knew what a "video game" was anymore. I mean they did ZERO things right.

• @Cursorkeys said:

I haven't yet seen a physical copy of a game on sale on BluRay, I would have thought any PC gaming rig these days is going to have a BluRay drive. You can fit 25GB on a single-layer one.

I know my desktop has a Blu-Ray drive.

Then again, I also use it sometimes to watch a Blu-Ray movie on one monitor while working on the other.

• @blakeyrat said:

To be fair to Microsoft, Sony fucked up the PS3 generation SO THOROUGHLY they might have just assumed nobody working at Sony even knew what a "video game" was anymore. I mean they did ZERO things right.

I can think of two things they (kinda) did right:

1. Including a Blu-Ray drive as it meant you didn't have to do disc switching.
    2. No monthly fee for online games

However, those both have counters.

1. The Blu-Ray drive increased the price.
    2. The PSN fiasco.

• @loopback0 said:

Really? I thought the whole point was you got a DVD with the game (minus updates) on it so if you had a mega shit Internet connection you didn't have to sit and wait a week to download 23GB from Steam? And still got a Steam key or something.

That's what I thought too, when I bought a box copy of StarCraft 2. "Requires 20GB disk space", I thought, "glad I don't have to download all that." Wrong: the DVD just installed the Battle.net client and then downloaded the game from Battle.net. Say goodbye to (almost) the rest of my monthly quota. (For bonus fun, despite putting in my product key, it decided I only had the trial version so I shouldn't be allowed to play past the first few missions. Contacted support and the response was basically "oh yeah, that happens sometimes, it should clear itself up in a few days." Which it did, but still :doing_it_wrong:)

OTOH I did buy a Civ V / X-COM double pack recently and that did install the games from DVD. Except that I still had to download patches which were almost the same size as the games before I could play them, so I don't know if there was much point.

This is one of the things that always bugs me with Steam. I don't care about online play, I don't care about having the latest patch, I just want to play the game that's already installed on my PC for my own amusement. Why should I have to spend the first 15 minutes of my gaming session downloading a patch? Fortunately most of my games are not Steam games, but the number is steadily increasing, so it's a growing problem for me.

But TRWTF is that Civ V takes 2 minutes to load a saved game on my machine. And it stops trying if it's not running fullscreen, so I can't do something else while I'm waiting for it.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@Scarlet_Manuka said:

the DVD just installed the Battle.net client and then downloaded the game from Battle.net

:facepalm:

@Scarlet_Manuka said:

Why should I have to spend the first 15 minutes of my gaming session downloading a patch?

I just leave Steam open, it's usually handled that all by itself when I launch the game.

• @loopback0 said:

I just leave Steam open

I stopped that pretty early on after getting my first Steam game, because of the memory usage it had just sitting in the background, which was enough to noticeably impact my use of everything else - and since most of the time I'm not using it, it seemed pointless to have it open.

I should probably re-evaluate that now that the system has 3x the memory it did then; it may be worth leaving it open, even if I'm still not using it most of the time.

• I'd suggest you give up on PC gaming and buy a game console, but the current-gen consoles aren't much better in that regard. Still, you'd have been very happy with an Xbox 360.

• @Scarlet_Manuka said:

I stopped that pretty early on after getting my first Steam game, because of the memory usage it had just sitting in the background, which was enough to noticeably impact my use of everything else

You either have a shitty OS, or a computer so shitty it can't run Starcraft II anyway. All the Steam processes summed-up are using 48 + 2 + 5 = 55 MB. That's not gigabytes, that's megabytes. There's no way 55 MB affects the performance of your system, especially in a program you don't even actively use (which means it'll be the first thing Windows swaps out when there's even the slightest memory pressure.)

Or you have weird delusions about memory usage and it's affecting your perception of performance. Yes, when I was a little kid, 55 MB was "a lot" of memory too. Now that all my computers, even the super-thin laptops, have 8 GB or more, 55 MB is a speck of dust.

Hell, that's less memory than (desktop) Skype uses, and Steam does a fuckload more than Skype does. Look, there's one metric at which Steam developers aren't useless.

• @blakeyrat said:

Look, there's one metric at which Steam developers aren't useless.

Steam is good as long as you don't want to open it.

@loopback0 said:

I just leave Steam open, it's usually handled that all by itself when I launch the game.

Or you can go offline and live without patches.

• I wish fallout 4 would have given you a device to charge power cores, rather than deleting them. Maybe make it something you wire up to a generator in your settlements and it takes a few days to fully recharge one core.
    Because right now I'm using a mod to reduce drain, but that's not giving me what I want.
    I want to limit its use, but without having to rely on a fixed resource.
    Because, now when I have enough money, it will make the limit meaningless. And if end game requires power armor, that's stupid. And if it doesn't require power armor, then it's overpowered.
    .... maybe a better mod in the future can fix this.

• Going from cohhcarnage playthrough, by the time your level 25 or so you should be one shotting just about everything, and have about a hundred cores. There is no enemy difficulty scaling so enjoy it while it lasts, because once it's gone, it's gone for good.

• Notification Spam Recipient

So is fallout 4 worth the price of admission or should I wait for the GOTY edition with all the patches and dlc?

I've managed to find enough fusion core on my travels to keep me going.
    You can buy them too.
    Or [spoiler]pickpocket them from the BoS[/spoiler]

• 🚽 Regular

@DogsB said:

So is fallout 4 worth the price of admission or should I wait for the GOTY edition with all the patches and dlc?

My brother is loving it but it seems to be bugs galore (what a surprise for a Bethesda game) and there are some seriously janky things that hurt the fun like the menu system.

I'm waiting until the GECK is released and modders make the worst of the issues go away.

• There's already a mod that fixes the dialog system.

Check nexus.

Since I figured out it's skippable, the dialogue bugs me less.

• @xaade said:

I wish fallout 4 would have given you a device to charge power cores, rather than deleting them.

Since you can just buy them in stores, I don't get the point of that. Unless the mod ALSO made it impossible to buy them in stores. (Also when you hit level 15 or so and have a couple "luck" perks, you sometimes find 4-5 of them in random ammo boxes.)

It kind of reminds me of the racial crafting materials in ESO, where the tutorial makes it sound like they're precious as gold, then you later find out you can buy them literally at any armor stand for like 15 copper.

@xaade said:

Because right now I'm using a mod to reduce drain, but that's not giving me what I want.

... why? I have like 41 of them, just from exploration, and that's enough to keep me going for like a YEAR of power armor use. And you're arguing that you want them to last LONGER!

@xaade said:

Because, now when I have enough money, it will make the limit meaningless.

Wait, you're complaining about the limit being meaningless, but you also want a mod to make the fusion cores drain slower? How about you figure out what you want, then come back here?

As far as my game goes, they'd need to drain something like 3-4 times faster before I'd even consider bothering to keep track of how many I have in my inventory.

Which is another mod idea: you could just make them fucking heavy so you have to carefully decide how many you want you carry around. That'd add some challenge to keeping your power armor running.

@xaade said:

And if end game requires power armor, that's stupid. And if it doesn't require power armor, then it's overpowered.

In most Fallout games, you can finish without using power armor, it's just much more difficult. I imagine Fallout 4 is no different.

So far the most I've needed power armor was exploring the huge radioactive area to the southwest on the map. Power armor (at least the T-60 model) is way better at radiation resistance than anything else in the game.

All those questions, and here's the real puzzler: how does your character switch-out dead fusion cores without getting out of the suit? If you want a mod to make power armor more challenging, make one that makes the armor plain die when the fusion core is out, and you have to get out of the suit to replace it. Or, even better, make it so you can't get out of the suit if the fusion core dies and you're just fucked.

• @Cursorkeys said:

and there are some seriously janky things that hurt the fun like the menu system.

Huh?

It's exactly the same as Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The PIP Boy hasn't changed in years.

@loopback0 said:

Since I figured out it's skippable, the dialogue bugs me less.

I'm imagining the design doc somewhere contains the phrase, "Bioware-ification of dialog system..."

• @blakeyrat said:

Since you can just buy them in stores, I don't get the point of that. Unless the mod ALSO made it impossible to buy them in stores. (Also when you hit level 15 or so and have a couple "luck" perks, you sometimes find 4-5 of them in random ammo boxes.)

Because that makes them pointless.

Which means you'll use PA all the time, or not at all.

I'd rather PA be a temporary boost.

Maybe it's just the early game, but there's a stark difference in have it on or not. And I'd like my experience to be balanced whether I choose to invest in PA or invest in some other area.

@blakeyrat said:

Which is another mod idea: you could just make them fucking heavy so you have to carefully decide how many you want you carry around. That'd add some challenge to keeping your power armor running.

I actually like that solution.

That's a restriction that makes a whole lot more sense. It puts a limit on it.

@blakeyrat said:

Wait, you're complaining about the limit being meaningless, but you also want a mod to make the fusion cores drain slower?

That's because without it I drain one in just under a minute of heavy fighting.

I want a good 4-5 minutes, but with some kind of restriction.

I think in combination with making them heavy that will produce the results I want.

@blakeyrat said:

It's exactly the same as Fallout 3 and New Vegas. The PIP Boy hasn't changed in years.

I find the container menus to be a little frustrating.

For example, I can deposit all my junk into a work station, but I can't do that to a companion, or take only junk from a companion.

I want a few more options to make containers more user friendly.

• @xaade said:

Because that makes them pointless.

Meh.

Early game, they're pretty rare. Once you hit level 10 or so, you're probably past the "danger point" of having trouble finding enough.

@xaade said:

I'd rather PA be a temporary boost.

I've played the game for like 50 hours and I don't even know what PA is. Penny Arcade? Pennsylvania? Is that a perk?

@xaade said:

Maybe it's just the early game, but there's a stark difference in have it on or not.

Right; it's fucking POWER ARMOR. That's the point. It's like a little one-person walking talk. The only difference between Fallout 4 and previous games is that you get the power armor right away instead of about halfway through the game.

Oh. "PA" means Power Armor? Way to pull that acronym right out of your ass. Jesus. Why are you even typing if you have no desire to actually communicate? Idiot.

@xaade said:

I actually like that solution.

JUST A SECOND AGO you said you wanted a mod to make them drain more slowly. Like I said above: figure out what the fuck you want, then come back.

@xaade said:

That's because without it I drain one in just under a minute of heavy fighting.

Haha wha? No. Unless you're using VATS literally ALL THE TIME, and even then I don't think it's possible to use enough VATS in one (game) minute to consume an entire fusion core unless you cheated. Probably not even possible to get to 50%.

@xaade said:

I find the container menus to be a little frustrating.

They're a MILLION TIMES BETTER than in previous games. No more having to click on a container, wait for the opening animation, only to find out the stuff is worthless. Fallout New Vegas was a step forward by telling you in advance whether a container is empty or not, but the Fallout 4 streamlining is brilliant. After this I'll never be able to play Skyrim again because looting is going to feel like a chore.

@xaade said:

For example, I can deposit all my junk into a work station, but I can't do that to a companion, or take only junk from a companion.

Why would you want to? If it's junk, why the fuck did you even pick it up in the first place? Why are there so many hoarders playing Gamebryo games?

(And yes, I know in Fallout 4 you can turn junk into materials, but it's a PITA compared to just buying them. So why bother.)

• @blakeyrat said:

JUST A SECOND AGO you said you wanted a mod to make them drain more slowly. Like I said above: figure out what the fuck you want, then come back.

I want a limit to its use.

I want that limit to be higher than at the start of the game.

I do not want that limit to be removed by the end of the game.

@blakeyrat said:

They're a MILLION TIMES BETTER than in previous games. No more having to click on a container, wait for the opening animation, only to find out the stuff is worthless. Fallout New Vegas was a step forward by telling you in advance whether a container is empty or not, but the Fallout 4 streamlining is brilliant. After this I'll never be able to play Skyrim again because looting is going to feel like a chore.

True.

I do like that they hide it from you for locked containers.

@blakeyrat said:

(And yes, I know in Fallout 4 you can turn junk into materials, but it's a PITA compared to just buying them. So why bother.)

Then I must be doing it wrong.

I have way more found junk than I'd ever have the caps to buy the junk for.

• Probably.

Look, picking up junk is stupid and boring. I don't play video games to do stupid and boring things. I play them to do stupid and fun things. The best games are the dumbest. Like Earth Defense Force: 2017.

But at least picking up junk in Fallout 4 makes SOME sense. What really bothers me is when I see otherwise intelligent people doing shit like this:

And this:

Because apparently a HUGE NUMBER OF IDIOT GAMEBRYO GAME PLAYERS are hoarders and think it's the GAME'S fault for them having MENTAL ILLNESS.

And that bugs me.

• I do keep the weapons I use in power armor in a chest, but that's because you can carry more with power armor on.

So that minigun is easier to carry in power armor.

That's all I keep (other than junk saving up for crafting, but that's in the workshop).

• If you liked fallout 3 or new Vegas, or skyrim open world, probably yes. Otherwise, probably wait for a sale. It's basically fallout 3.5

On the note of power armor,it's level based. Higher levels will allow you to find better armor and cores just lying around the world. The world also respawns areas that haven't been searched in a while.

• Well, you have people like Jesse Cox, who make a living hoarding things in games, because apparently people are entertained by watching that. But even he thinks there's too much stuff strewn around the place.

• There's lots of stuff in the office where I work. I don't just PICK IT ALL UP JUST BECAUSE I SEE IT.

• That's because you never played Zork as a kid because you hate command line and thus by extension text adventures!

• Fair enough, but if you make money because people like watching you do that, you'd probably do that.

• Maybe not.

But if you're link, you break all the vases.

I get the feeling you're not involved in the crafting part of the game.

@xaade said:

I use it most of the time. There's no reason not to. Fusion Cores are easy to keep a stock of, you can take more damage and carry more.

• Yeah, the game seems to push you in this direction.

Even if you say, "but I want to be stealthy", you can have a PA to do that, and it does it even better than regular armor. At least in Fallout 3 there was advantages to not having heavy armor, because some perks required light armor. I mean, the first legendary I ran into, I had to go back and get my PA.... or suck down stimpacks every time it hit me.

Oh, I know how they balanced it. You can't hack or wait inside PA. sigh

• People are idiots.

• Ok, so by the time you get to midgame, you pretty much have enough cores to be in armor 24/7.

And the game turns it almost into a necessity.

You either need Power Armor, or you need to give it to your companion, and give them a melee weapon and equip it to override their ranged weapon, and have them tank for you.

Unfortunately this makes all the mods for the power armor useless since it relies on unarmed, and you can't force a companion to use unarmed like you could in fallout 3.

At least a few of the chest power armor mods are useful, the one that increases resistance, the one that reflects melee damage, and the one that does aoe electric damage.

Other than that, the leg and arm and head buffs are pointless.

But then again, it's power armor, your companions don't run out of ammo, and they become pretty beastly tanks.

I'll check again when I get CIRI, because she doesn't seem to have a default weapon from what I've seen in videos, and unarmed almost exclusively.

The whole concept of "getting inside" power armor screams temporary buff, yet the game plays it out as an ever present necessity.

Unless some people have managed to avoid legendary monsters, and I have really bad luck.

@xaade said:

You either need Power Armor, or you need to give it to your companion, and give them a melee weapon and equip it to override their ranged weapon, and have them tank for you.

A companion with power armour and a laser rifle is pretty handy.

• Yeah, I don't mind that combination.

But for some of my characters, I prefer the companion in melee, and getting them to do that, pretty much means exclusively melee weapons, not unarmed.

Maybe that's not a bad thing. I could give them a melee weapon with the stun chance, that'd be funny as hell.

It would be nice if Power Armor had some companion buffing mods as alternatives.

I suppose the stat buffs do something?

But intelligence increases what... exp gain for the companion. Perception might make them notice enemies sooner.

The strength paintjobs are definitely useful.

• @xaade said:

Ok, so by the time you get to midgame, you pretty much have enough cores to be in armor 24/7.

Yup.

@xaade said:

And the game turns it almost into a necessity.

Meh. I do half and half. Although I've been annoyed having to go back and fetch it to complete quests sometimes.

(Sniper wearing power armor is just wrong. I cleared out Libertaria with just me and my .50 cal sniper rifle, I don't think I was detected even once before I got to the boss at the top.)

@xaade said:

I've been using Curie recently, she's a pain to relationship-up. Apparently she has a loyalty quest, too, if you get here relationshiped-up enough. Or so says my friend.

Being a Mr. Handy (Mrs. Handy?) she obviously can't wear power armor.

@xaade said:

I'll check again when I get CIRI,

... who?

If there's someone named CIRI in Fallout 4, I don't know about it and neither does Google. (Although it brings up a lot of references to people remaking a The Witcher character in the Fallout 4 character creator.)

@xaade said:

The whole concept of "getting inside" power armor screams temporary buff, yet the game plays it out as an ever present necessity.

Have you ever played any previous Fallout game? That's normal and expected.

The only change in Fallout 4 is:

1. Getting into power armor is treated more like entering a vehicle than just putting on a piece of armor, and
    2. The power armor actually requires fuel

• 🚽 Regular

@blakeyrat said:

Huh?

I've just realised I've never played FO3 or NV without interface mods then. I don't like the default one because it's so large without showing enough information, from watching over the shoulder it just seems clunky.
    The HUD with the power armor is pretty big too, that could easily be half the size.
    Easily cured with a mod though.

The new skills screen looks quite nice though.

• @blakeyrat said:

1) Getting into power armor is treated more like entering a vehicle than just putting on a piece of armor, and2) The power armor actually requires fuel

I know.

That's why I felt that, it would have been an interesting move to make it a temporary buff, since it seems to play out that way in the beginning.

But given I'm being two-shot by legendary radscorpions half a block away from the starting town outside of power armor. Bosses that sneak up on you, btw.

I just feel like they missed out on an interesting opportunity.

And now that perma-stealth-boy is a possibility with power armor, even stealth plays are nudged into using it.

There just seems to be NO advantage to not using it or restrictions from using it. And since PA is less diverse than other forms of armor, it makes the majority of itemization, in the game, pointless.

Another point of contention, the arm parts only buff unarmed damage, which can't equip an unarmed weapon, which drags behind in damage. Which means that the only playstyle that nudges you out of power armor is unarmed. And since I can't find a companion that uses unarmed as a default weapon, those buffs are pointless if you give power armor to a companion. Leaving only the advanced chest mods as beneficial for companion power armor, unless companions use sprint and have a sprint limitation I'm not aware of.