Co-worker's third attempt at formatting a date...

• my $date;
    my $i = -1;
    my @time = map { $_ += (++$i == 0 ? 1900 : ($i == 1 ? 1 : 0)); } @{[reverse @{[localtime(str2time($date))]}[0..5]]};
    print sprintf("%04d/%02d/%02d %02d:%02d:%02d\n",@time);

Why he didn't use POSIX::strftime, the world will never know.

• Does he not even realize that every current high-level (i.e. higher than C) language has some sort of basic date handling classes/functions? Or is he one of those people that still believes Perl should be a write-once-read-never language?

• That looks almost exactly like the way my co-workers like to use Perl to extract date/timestamps into arrays and then use sprintf to put them back together....

• @Dragnslcr said:

Does he not even realize that every current high-level (i.e. higher than C) language has some sort of basic date handling classes/functions? Or is he one of those people that still believes Perl should be a write-once-read-never language?

Even C has date/time formatting functions.

• My favourite bit is:

@{[...]}

i.e. make an array/list into an arrayref, and then immediatly dereference it back to an array.

• I think he believes in write-once, read never....

• @SpoonMeiser said:

My favourite bit is:

@{[...]}

i.e. make an array/list into an arrayref, and then immediatly dereference it back to an array.

You must have missed the $_ += bit... Remember that $_ is actually an alias for the value... so he's modifying the temporary array, too.