Co-worker's third attempt at formatting a date...

• my $date;
    my $i = -1;
    my @time = map { $_ += (++$i == 0 ? 1900 : ($i == 1 ? 1 : 0)); } @{[reverse @{[localtime(str2time($date))]}[0..5]]};
    print sprintf("%04d/%02d/%02d %02d:%02d:%02d\n",@time);

Why he didn't use POSIX::strftime, the world will never know.

• Does he not even realize that every current high-level (i.e. higher than C) language has some sort of basic date handling classes/functions? Or is he one of those people that still believes Perl should be a write-once-read-never language?

• That looks almost exactly like the way my co-workers like to use Perl to extract date/timestamps into arrays and then use sprintf to put them back together....

• @Dragnslcr said:

Does he not even realize that every current high-level (i.e. higher than C) language has some sort of basic date handling classes/functions? Or is he one of those people that still believes Perl should be a write-once-read-never language?

Even C has date/time formatting functions.

• My favourite bit is:

@{[...]}

i.e. make an array/list into an arrayref, and then immediatly dereference it back to an array.

• I think he believes in write-once, read never....

• @SpoonMeiser said:

My favourite bit is:

@{[...]}

i.e. make an array/list into an arrayref, and then immediatly dereference it back to an array.

You must have missed the $_ += bit... Remember that $_ is actually an alias for the value... so he's modifying the temporary array, too.

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.