Triggered Trauma Help Thread

• β™ͺHighway to…the TRIGGER ZONE!β™ͺ

• πŸ‘‹ Jayne πŸ˜‰

• Interestingly, the radio article I mentioned actually addresses that.

TL;DR The theory is that because of the "trend" to have Trigger Warnings on everything in US Universities, overly protects people from the realities of life.

• @Fox said:

but there is definitely such a thing as being driven into a panic attack by even thinking about something with enough detail.

Unless it's a penis. Then you're just making shit up, everybody loves themselves a good penis.

• @Fox said:

I would like to point out that triggers are an actual thing for some people. Some people take it a bit too far, but there is definitely such a thing as being driven into a panic attack by even thinking about something with enough detail.

I can see this being an issue, but it sounds like a personal problem that requires a personal solution.

Suppose you have a combat veteran whose squad was attacked while they were driving under an overpass. Consequently, even though he's back home, said veteran gets anxious every time he nears an overpass, to the point that he'll drive five or ten miles out of the way to stick to routes that don't go under overpasses. Now, there are a couple ways this problem could be solved:

1. The county/state government could tear down all the overpasses in its jurisdiction and spend billions of dollars building infrastructure that will not trigger this particular veteran.
    2. The veteran could get counseling to help put his demons to rest.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

As far as triggers go, yeah, 2 is definitely the preferred option.

But, meanwhile, someone goes over and tells the vet they're going to a party, and on the way he drives under a dozen overpasses. For the 🚎. Good or bad?

• @Fox said:

But, meanwhile, someone goes over and tells the vet they're going to a party, and on the way he drives under a dozen overpasses. For the 🚎. Good or bad?

It depends. I assume the vet a passenger in this situation? Are the intentions of the driver completely malicious? Is the dozen overpass route the most efficient or expedient? Were they forced onto that route because of road closures? Was the driver trying to force the vet to face his fears head-on, to help him? Does the vet have mind-reading powers so that he can divine others' intentions without error?

Reasonable people exercise this thing called "benefit of the doubt." And people in society who drive or ride in cars can reasonably expect to encounter situations where they drive under overpasses. The TRIGGER WARNING people want to tear down the overpasses so that nobody in the vet's situation will ever have to be uncomfortable, at the massive inconvenience of the population who generally benefit from overpasses.

• Winner of the 2016 Presidential Election Banned

@Groaner said:

I assume the vet a passenger in this situation?

Correct

@Groaner said:

Are the intentions of the driver completely malicious? Is the dozen overpass route the most efficient or expedient? Were they forced onto that route because of road closures? Was the driver trying to force the vet to face his fears head-on, to help him? Does the vet have mind-reading powers so that he can divine others' intentions without error?

Well, my inclusion of
    @Fox said:
    For the 🚎

was to say that the driver knows full well the vet is extremely uncomfortable with going under overpasses, and does so anyway, for no reason except to troll the vet. So...

1. Not malicious, specifically
    2. No
    3. No
    4. No
    5. No
      @Groaner said:
      The TRIGGER WARNING people want to tear down the overpasses so that nobody in the vet's situation will ever have to be uncomfortable, at the massive inconvenience of the population who generally benefit from overpasses.

The problem here is that this, from what I gather, is a misrepresentation of what the goal is. Having trigger warnings would be like informing the vet that there may be overpasses on the way to the party, so that he can either request an alternate route, try to steel himself against the fear rather than being blindsided by it along the way, or not go to the party at all.

• @Fox said:

Fret not, I've been here all along.

And no moral or value judgements, I'm impressed.

:hanzo: Oh wait, later posts do include those. Damn.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@DogsB said:

Let me summon him.

Dude. Seriously.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@Arantor said:

🎡 Highway to the trigger zone?

+'

• β™Ώ (Parody)

@FrostCat said:

Do you ever wonder about he mental stability of a person at college, a supposed adult, who would call 911 because they saw a mouse in the dorm?

Some friends of mine had a bat fly into their window. They didn't call 911, but they called campus security. So a guy came out, went into their room, then radio'd back, "We have confirmation on the bat." It's been a joke among us all for...well, decades now, I guess.

• @DogsB said:

I'm a bit self concious about how I look. What if someone tries to fat shame me?

Use a puppet to represent you in your movies. Like that thing in a bicycle that appears in saw

• @Fox said:

Well, my inclusion of

For the 🚎

was to say that the driver knows full well the vet is extremely uncomfortable with going under overpasses, and does so anyway, for no reason except to troll the vet.

Okay, so we have a contrived example of someone purely malicious. Not really plausible, but I'll play your game. Presumably, the vet would not get into a car with someone that he doesn't know, and that he wouldn't disclose his inner demons except to people who have gained his trust. Why would the vet have placed his trust in a person so insensitive to his feelings?

@Fox said:

The problem here is that this, from what I gather, is a misrepresentation of what the goal is. Having trigger warnings would be like informing the vet that there may be overpasses on the way to the party, so that he can either request an alternate route, try to steel himself against the fear rather than being blindsided by it along the way, or not go to the party at all.

We've survived for thousands of years without stamping TRIGGER WARNING on every bit of controversial literature. Why start now? Besides, being exposed to offensive material is a necessary desensitization step on the path to being able to live in this fucked-up world.

• β™Ώ (Parody)

I can't help but think of this when people start talking about being triggered:

https://what.thedailywtf.com/t/the-funny-stuff-thread/2628/2299?u=boomzilla

Because I think most of that is people looking for attention. People with serious issues should be getting professional help.

• Notification Spam Recipient

But we need morale aberration!

• BINNED

@boomzilla said:

"We have confirmation on the bat."

But ... it's important to have confirmation ... it could have been a squirrel.

:wtf: why would you call security or the cops for this ... are they expert anti-bat men?

• Or just type mm while you're anywhere in the thread and it'll mute the whole thing for you.

• The only real triggers are those on loaded M16s and the like. Then go electronic triggers. Then go SQL triggers. What you call a "trigger" is properly called "attention-whoring, deranged pussy people making shit up".

• I had a trigger_once. It's orange and semi-transparent, but you can't see it when you're not in the level editor.

• I'm triggered by gay people faggots and all the political correctness police, let's kill them all off so I'm comfortable...

• I'm triggered by people who disagree with me.

• The PDA thread is πŸ›… β†ͺ πŸ”„ ‴

• I think there seems to be a general confusion here about what "triggered" actual means within the context of this thread. Most, and I'm mentioning no @mentions because I would not want to miss any or wrongly include any, seem to be using the word trigger instead of the word provoke.

In the context of this thread a trigger is something you experience now that causes a repressed experience to be re-lived. It really does not matter what that previous experience was or how and why it was repressed.

Obviously everything we remember can be triggered in this way, and most are exceedingly trivial. A post about somebody forgetting to lock the door on the way out is an experience we probably all share in common. An experience that most of us can deal with - often humorously which helps us deal with it. Again, I refer you to the BBC broadcast I linked up thread. However, there may be few who would react differently due to their personal experience. They may have been burgled - I have. They may have and OCD condition that could induce panic or severe anxiety - I get that occasionally.

I am not advocating that we should never mention such a thing, it is unavoidable and it will happen. What I am advocating is a considerable moderation in the response to those who do verbalise their adverse experience. I have noticed an increase in, what could be described as, personal attacks albeit in a generalised form. Also, there seems to be an increase in deliberately offensive posts, some of which are of a nature than could trigger something.

This is supposed to be a community of individuals that have the IT Industry as a common background. By definition, individuals (despite the Articles) with a relatively high intelligence.

What it is not, unless you want it to be, is another 4Chan or 12Chan etc.

And I am not just talking about this Thread, but the Forum as a whole

• BINNED

@loose said:

I have noticed an increase in, what could be described as, personal attacks albeit in a generalised form.

Agreed. It's getting both tiring and mean spirited. However, I do think it died down now, for the most part. Let's not drag it out any longer, eh? We had plenty of discussion in the Lounge, and while not everyone is aware of that I do believe it had some effect (I hope, at least). Relatedly:

@loose said:

What I am advocating is a considerable moderation in the response to those who do verbalise their adverse experience.

This has been covered in said Lounge thread. I have faith in the mod team to react to reasonable requests with respect. Some kind of consensus and/or compromise has been reached about that, IMHO, and once again, I don't think we should drag it out further in yet another thread.

In conclusion, I see where you're coming from, and agree with you. I just think that this particular thread might be something we could've skipped and taken elsewhere (read: one of the existing discussions on the matter). And, TBQH, I wasn't sure if it was a troll or serious until this last post of yours. I'm sorry that I judged you wrongly, but I hope you can see where I was coming from regarding that.

• Appreciated, but with the observation that what is discussed in the Lounge can only be seen in the lounge.

• @PJH or similar.

Can you cause this thread to be locked in, say 24 hours - to give the world a chance to comment.

As @Onyx has pointed out, it's purpose has been served.

• BINNED

Well, Discourse and Lounge access being what they are I do believe most, if not all, people who engage in using related "memes" and trolling were actually present is my point.

I wouldn't call it a discussion as much as I would call it an on going troll battle against a potential censorship menace. That looks to have been overblown though and is now just trolls doing what trolls do

@loose I didn't realize that this was meant to be a semi serious thread. My apologies for taking the piss

• BINNED

Eh, I think some genuine discussion was had some 900ish posts in, finally. That's just my impression of it though, so.. Β―\_(ツ)_/Β―

I think you are either trolling or your brains have leaked out your eyes.

• BINNED

@DogsB said:

your brains have leaked out your eyes

Two of them, yes. The third one is still in place.

Well, if that's the sentiment people have I'm fine with having this thread being here if it's kept civil, personally. Not that I get a say, really, but you know, FWIW...

• @loose said:

What it is not, unless you want it to be, is another 4Chan or 12Chan etc.

Look, there's a difference between flinging shit randomly and calling out idiots for being idiots. The other one is pretty much raison d'etre of these forums, and sometimes it does go beyond strictly IT topics.

• @loose said:

and I'm mentioning no @mentions

Liar...

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@loose said:

Can you cause this thread to be locked in, say 24 hours

Done.

The problem isn't the thread per say. The problem was it was fucking shitting all over the forums. I think the mods here did a great job handling it. Noone was banned and its all isolated to one or two threads now that people who don't want to talk about it don't have to see it. Some of the memes escape every now and then but its good that it exists but that it's contained.

• BINNED

@DogsB said:

Noone was banned and its all isolated to one or two threads now that people who don't want to talk about it don't have to see it. Some of the memes escape every now and then but its good that it exists but that it's contained.

QFFT

• I agree, but the difference is subtle. It is absolutely the purpose of this forum to identify and shame the idiots and idiocies that lurk in this industry. As I mentioned very early on in my membership, it is a place where you can, potentially, learn how not to do things. But all to often, no explanation is given - and not talking about established memes, although sometimes that takes quite a bit of figuring out for newbies.

I would rather see "PHP is a crap language because it is loosely type and you can create variables on the fly without declaring them". Than just "PHP is crap and all those using it should be castrated". Because it is a reasoned argument, that is valid from the perspective of somebody that uses, say, C.

All I would ask is that it is accepted that some people like PHP and use it properly for the purpose for which it was intended (INB4: Yeah, yeah yeah. What purpose would that be then? etc).

• @loose said:

I would rather see "PHP is a crap language because it is loosely type and you can create variables on the fly without declaring them". Than just "PHP is crap and all those using it should be castrated".

That's because we already know why it's bad. There's no point in rehashing that over and over - we're professionals and generally smart folk, and we assume the same about other people we're interacting with here. It's not StackOverflow or Wikipedia where everything needs to be backed by explanations and sources, it's a loose discussion.

• @loose said:

We are especially interested to hear from you if the content was enough to cause you to suicide.

I would be very interested also in hearing from those who suicide.. Maybe they could talk something about after-life ant stuff.

• @Maciejasjmj said:

it's a loose discussion.

Or is it a @loose discussion?

• @Maciejasjmj said:

it's a loose discussion

I see what you did there :snicker:

Bugger :hanzo: - teach me to read all new posts before responding....wait...

:p It's my topic, so there :)

• kills Dumbledore

@PJH said:

@loose said:
    Can you cause this thread to be locked in, say 24 hours

Done.

Chance for an inB4 badge?

• BINNED

@Jaloopa said:

Chance for an inB4 badge?

Dammit! You aren't supposed to spill that info ... now everybody will be aiming for those :badger:s

They'll have forgotten about it by 09:15:31 tomorrow morning.

• BINNED

Alternative tactic: just keep positng

• Good thing nobody here's a programmer, or they would make a bot to do it for them.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@DogsB said:

Apparently no one wants to read about my adventures anymore. I kidnap trans people, store them in my basement and once I've grown tired of their screaming I murder them.

To get people interested again, between the kidnappings, review some Star Wars films.

@royal_poet said:

I later on feel the desire to give my boyfriend a good spanking.

Spank spank!

@Arantor said:

I actually felt it necessary to tell someone to fuck off.

Always tell them "fuck you". If you tell them to "fuck off", they'll never give you money.

@loose said:

Try videoing your sessions and see if things pick up.

Um, actually, that's sight-shaming. You've just triggered the ADA.

@loose said:

If they did not take the hint, try something with a bit more force.

Are you trying to control how someone feels? You're a piece of shit.

@DogsB said:

god

You just triggered me. I'm highly offended by your persecution. Stop forcing your religion on me, you Nazi.

@blakeyrat said:

My right shoe is too tight around the toes.

=( Guys, we need to stop the thread, okay? Does anyone know where Blakey lives? I'm srlsly worried here guys.

@bb36e said:

How do i hide threads on discourse?

Kill yourself.

@anonymous234 said:

Your lack of thousand-seperators has triggered me. Do you not know that some people rely on those to be able to positively-process numbers that they see. Not everyone is privileged to be able to just magically RECOGNIZE numbers like you. Way to number-shame.

@DogsB said:

Oh God! Someone mixed the parmesan in with the scallops!

Are you trying to coddle the lactose intolerant? Intolerance of ANY kind will not be tolerated. We should fucking murder those intolerant ones and hang them with their own intestines. Wait, what did you say at the start of the sentence?/

@DogsB said:

Oh God!

YOU FUCKING RELIGION-PUSHING NAZI! πŸ™‹

@Maciejasjmj said:

a good penis.

There is literally no such thing as a good penis. All PIV is rape. All men want to rape and that's all what the penis was for. The sooner we have female-to-female artificial insemination, and we can neuter all men at birth, the better.

Edit: I apologize for using the word "artificial". I meant to say "natural, breath-of-the-Goddess fertilizing"

@ben_lubar said:

Or just type mm

AHG! Triggered by keyboard shortcuts. Are you just ASSUMING that everyone speaks English, and will use your war-like Anglo-Saxon based alphabet? You're disregarding all the beautiful, rich, diverse cultures out there with your Merica-centric bullshit. And I just LOVE how you're shaming the differently-abled who aren't using keyboards to be part of this community. What if someone's using a mouse? Or, like, crippled like Steve Hockings? Good work triggering them.

@ben_lubar said:

I'm triggered by people who disagree with me.

I don't think you are.

@loose said:

I think there seems to be a general confusion here about what "triggered" actual means within the context of this thread.

TRIGGERED! Stop trying to dictate my reality with your pseudo-science "definitions" of "words". Confusion implies that other-thinking is wrong. Stop shaming me.

@anonymous234 said:

make a bot to do it for them

Way to trigger my white guilt over slavery. =(

@Lorne_Kates said:

YOU FUCKING RELIGION-PUSHING NAZI! πŸ™‹
    Fucking hell we have a nazi salute emoji.

What do we think of @Lorne_Kates?

πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹ :πŸ™‹ πŸ™‹