What the Daily Wish

• First wish: go a week into future. Write down or memorize winning lottery numbers around the country/world. Also, make note of any big stock price/forex changes.

At the end of my 24 hour visit, use the information to cash in.

Second wish: do the same thing, but for stocks and, more importantly, startups, by going 15 years into the future.

Third wish: sex party with wife and super models.

• shit, it's never that hard when I dream about it. I thought the hardest part would be whether the wings come out my back or if my arms grow into them. Maybe I should just wish for 24 hours lucid dreaming.

Actually, I kind of like the thought of having to deal with physical limits, at least for the first day. I'd definitely need to wish for more fitness though, because the thought of me doing more than a couple hours of a physical activity in a single day...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

• I wish for an alternate universe that is exactly the same as this one, except I have unlimited wishes
    • I wish to be transported to that universe, to the spot on Earth as we are right now
    • Once I'm there, I wish for my new universe to be completely detached from this Universe, so that there is absolutely no interaction or effects that traverse between the two, especially but not limited to the effects that reset the Universe.

• BINNED

@Lorne_Kates said:

I wish for an alternate universe that is exactly the same as this one

It cannot be exactly the same without Lorne, so altruistic of you to make an all powerful Lorne in an alternate universe and keep nothing for yourself. Assume it done.

• I wish...to be sent 20 years into the future to learn which companies had explosive stock growth and then to return here.

Hmmm...#2...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@dse said:

@Lorne_Kates said:
    I wish for an alternate universe that is exactly the same as this one

It cannot be exactly the same without Lorne, so altruistic of you to make an all powerful Lorne in an alternate universe and keep nothing for yourself. Assume it done.

Yeah, mixed up the order of operations on that one.

Oh well, at least there's a me with Real Ultimate Power.

• BINNED

You could easily wish for as much money as you wanted, that is a wasteful time travel

• My reasoning is thus: If I ask for as much money as I want, the money will go away when the world resets. But what I learned in the future will not go away; that's in my mind and, according to the rules, I will remember it. Slower, but it will actually work for more than the 24 hours.

• @CoyneTheDup said:

I wish...to be sent 20 years into the future to learn which companies had explosive stock growth and then to return here.

Is time travel allowed via the rules? I think it's a normal 24-hour period you experience, the next 24 hours, not some arbitrary 24 hours.

• @blakeyrat said:

Is time travel allowed via the rules? I think it's a normal 24-hour period you experience, the next 24 hours, not some arbitrary 24 hours.

Well, now that you mention it...sigh...

• Trolleybus Mechanic

I wish for my 24 hours not to expire until my wish expires.

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@blakeyrat said:

You retain the knowledge. So pull a Biff Tannin (or the guys from Primer) and get some future knowledge and make yourself rich or whatever by leveraging it.

That was my exact thought also. I would go simpler though, something I could remember. Like the winning numbers for a huge lotto jackpot.

After that, wish for @Maciejasjmj to help me ax some fuckers.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@accalia said:

For all my talk about men thinking with their dicks.... what's it like to have one?

@ben_lubar said:

Probably that I was a girl, too. You know, since what-if is the only thing we can actually do with these wishes.

OTP ❤

• Grade A Premium Asshole

@anonymous234 said:

You spend the next 24 hours (21.4285714 years of subjective time) walking around in circles or whatever DF characters do

Mostly washing their genitals. Whether they exist or not.

• I'm not sure "male fox" and "female human" are a very good pair. Especially when the female human and the male fox can't exist during the same timeline.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@ben_lubar said:

I'm not sure "male fox" and "female human" are a very good pair.

There are large swaths of the Internet that would disagree with you.

@ben_lubar said:

Especially when the female human and the male fox can't exist during the same timeline.

Alternate Universe all-powerful Lorne will work out those details. Anything for ❤.

• So Alternate Universe all-powerful Lorne's powers only work on transsexual time travelers?

• Trolleybus Mechanic

@ben_lubar said:

So Alternate Universe all-powerful Lorne's powers only work on transsexual time travelers?

It's a very odd universe.

• If you wished for an eidetic memory, after the 24 hours, would you still remember every detail of everything you saw during that time?

It would be pretty cool to be able to go back to a really important event in history and witness it in person. Of course, you probably couldn't do much with the memory afterward. You could tell people, but if the truth was substantially different from accepted history, nobody would believe you. But maybe your knowledge would have enough hints so you could then do the archaeology and dig up facts to support your memories, allowing you to publish and be believed.

Unless the truth is completely out of whack, like discovering that aliens really did build the pyramids or something. Then nobody important will believe you no matter what evidence you may eventually be able to discover.

• @accalia said:

For all my talk about men thinking with their dicks.... what's it like to have one?

despite what people say it doesn't make you dumb (or dumb in a different way): http://www.smbc-comics.com/index.php?id=2716

• Wish 1:
    I'd love to be able to teleport to everyone I know.

There's people I haven't seen in quite a long time (and I'd like to know how they're doing and such), and there's people on the internet I'm curious about.

And then, I'll send everyone I found the time enjoyable with something nice after the wish is over.

• @aliceif said:

And then, I'll send everyone I found the time enjoyable with something nice after the wish is over

But they won't remember the visit. So imagine the poor sod going through his day, when he suddenly gets a package with a note:

Hey,we had a lot of fun last evening! We should do it again! Love, Alice <3

Instant paranoia!

• What can I say, confusing people is fun!

• FoxDev

@locallunatic said:

despite what people say it doesn't make you dumb (or dumb in a different way):

Oh, i'm well aware of that. the thinking with their dicks is more a figure of speech anyway, I'd still like to know what it's like to have one for a day.

• Trolleybus Mechanic

If the memory thing does work, then the second wish should be for (some arbitrarily large number) of clones of you with an implant that transmits their every thought and experience to your brain, which is now capable of processing and remembering all those without driving you insane.

Now you can go experience a million things and remember them all, rather than just one 24 hour thing.

• I whish omniscience

• wish 1 I want to be infinitely smart
    wish 2 I want ominiscience (like I said before)

then I decide what is gonna be wish 3 :-)

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

Wish for a way to make NZT, and then deal with the remaining 2 wishes afterwards.

• @fbmac said:

wish 1 I want to be infinitely smart
    wish 2 I want ominiscience (like I said before)

second reply has this:

@accalia said:

@locallunatic said:
    Sounds like a time for knowledge based wishing to me.

of course, you do have to remember that your body also resets so if the wish has to change your mental capacity to fit the knowledge in, you change back to normal mental capacity after the wish expires...

• Notification Spam Recipient

@accalia said:

Continuing the discussion
    Heh, must have been in the status thread last, huh?

Lets see...

1. How to learn to remember everything I experience (savant style, but without the mental "disabilities" that come with it) as I experiment with nanotechnology meant (initially) for brain enhancement while discovering (by virtue of said experimentation) how, where, and with what materials to manufacture them.
    2. Gain access to the NSA's master key and access methods required to remote-use their servers at any time without detection or prevention.
    3. Determine an easy or efficient method for intra-dimension traveling along with an appropriate destination to visit which should include a benign approximately equatable intelligent species mutually compatible for procreation (i.e. find the Furry's dream world).

Why?

1. Well I'd like to be able to properly remember the things for the upcoming days, and being able to store that data is a great boon in any case. Additionally, upon completion of the three wishes I will have need of increased memory capacity, most easily obtained through assimilatingforcibly inviting others into the Hivegroup party celebration.
    2. With full access to the NSA's datacenters, I can use my new dronescollaboration partners to cross-reference and analyze data and manipulate the media to improve expansion of the Hivegroup party celebration while simultaneously delay or prevent any negative outcry in the face of my dominationbenevolent improvement of the human race.
    3. Once a method is obtained for intra-dimensional travel, I can repeat the invasioninvitation of other species into the Hivegroup party celebration, and we can all benefit!

Filed under: Resistance is Futile. All your base are belong to us, however your chances to survive have increased score fold.

• @anonymous234 said:

"It is the ordered pair whose first member is the question you just asked, and whose second member is the answer I am now giving."

At which point Data blew up and Spock died..... because of the stack overflow.

@Lorne_Kates said:

I wish for my 24 hours not to expire until my wish expires.

That's called normal life.

@David_C said:

Unless the truth is completely out of whack, like discovering that

branching alternate universes work backwards, such that two people in this universe lived in different universes previously.

I mean, physics works that way... reverse the forces and.... snap... back to one piece goes to the glass.

• FoxDev

@Tsaukpaetra said:

an appropriate destination to visit which should include a benign approximately equatable intelligent species mutually compatible for procreation (i.e. find the Furry's dream world)

You have my attention.

;-)

• This was a fun challenge. I've been mulling it over during the weekend, and am still nowhere nere a complete answer, but here goes.

Since the only thing you get to retain is knowledge, I first thought of the many things I want to do or learn to do. For example, I want to learn how to ride, track, sail, navigate, fly. I also have a heap of books I want to read or re-read. But the thing is... I am enjoying the process of learning/doing these things just as much (maybe even more) as I would savour the "having done that" knowledge. So I'm not going to wish for any of that.

This brought me back to the original premises. What knowledge is unattainable by any other means than magic? In the spirit of this:

• My first wish is that I, for one day, is able to travel back in time and space and visit historical events as a fly on the wall. (With qualifications that if I witness e.g. the signing of the magna charta it should not take my entire day but only, say, five minutes to zoom thither/thence, and then five more minutes to zoom back).

Whe(re|n) to go is probably the subject for a whole thread in itself, but as an example, I am just as interested in a normal tuesday afternoon in 1702 as I am with the big historical events.

Then I thought about extending this wish to go forward in time, e.g. to check if my girls have an ok life, but I realised that I don't want to know that since I want to experience it as it happens, and there is no way that I would not use that information to influence their lives in some way. Hmm. Space, then. Visit habitable planets and find out if there is intelligent life in the universe? Nah, no-one would believe me the morning after so it would just be a waste. It would also ruin the fun of reading many a sci-fi book, and I am not that big a fan of Edgar Rice Burroughs' books in the first place.

So, I'll simply use the second wish to do some good instead:

• My second wish is that I invent a practical way to create and ensure world peace. Either that or a sofa that is impossible to hit your toes on.

And that's about as far as I got, really. So my third wish is:

• May I have a coke, please?

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

1. Wish for a time machine

I could travel back in time to my heart's content and pretty much be a real life Dr Who. As long as I don't go more than 24 hours into the future I'm OK.

2. Wish for immortality.

This means that I can stay forever youthful during my exploits.

3. Wish my fiancee was immortal.

Because what's an adventure without company?