Poll: Which smartphone OS do you use?

• @Vaire said:

Fast forward to their tepid attempts to enter the phone market, and you wonder if it is the same company being discussed. None, literally none of the strategies that were proven to work when entering the games market were used.

Remember that Windows Phone came directly out of Windows Mobile, which had been pretty damn successful using the existing model. Back when they were competing primarily with Blackberry.

You are right. though. Microsoft should have bought a phone company the instant they got serious about competing with Apple. But even if they had wanted to at that point, would they have been able to? None of the phone companies were in trouble enough to want to sell-out.

And yes, Balmer was a moron, and the only reason the Xbox/Home Entertainment division was as successful as it was was because he (Balmer) didn't give much of a shit about it.

At least competing with Apple and Google on phone OSes is something Microsoft should be doing. Their attempt to compete with Google's web advertising exchange was fucking ridiculously stupid. (And cost them something like 7 billion bucks.) (Disclaimer: I personally profited from Microsoft's purchase of a large ad exchange, but not very much.)

• @blakeyrat said:

Remember that Windows Phone came directly out of Windows Mobile, which had been pretty damn successful using the existing model.

I do remember. And it was apparent from almost the moment I heard they were doing it, that they weren't taking the market they were trying to get into, seriously. I even had a bet going with my former manager than they would break 5% market share within a year because I thought, "well, surely this is only the beginning, and they XBOX-tactics this shit up in short order..." -- yeaaaah, nope, that never happened :facepalm:

@blakeyrat said:

You are right. though. Microsoft should have bought a phone company the instant they got serious about competing with Apple. But even if they had wanted to at that point, would they have been able to? None of the phone companies were in trouble enough to want to sell-out.

I wasn't necessarily referring to buying a phone company. I was referring to what they did with Bungie/Rare for the XBOX. Buy a developer who could make a killer app for their phone, and only their phone. Like Halo turned out to be for the XBOX. But your point is entirely valid as well.

@blakeyrat said:

And yes, Balmer was a moron, and the only reason the Xbox/Home Entertainment division was as successful as it was was because he (Balmer) didn't give much of a shit about it.

QFFT! :shakefist:

@blakeyrat said:

At least competing with Apple and Google on phone OSes is something Microsoft should be doing. Their attempt to compete with Google's web advertising exchange was fucking ridiculously stupid. (And cost them something like 7 billion bucks.) (Disclaimer: I personally profited from Microsoft's purchase of a large ad exchange, but not very much.)

Yes, Yahoo and Microsoft are both starting to realize that competing against an entrenched enemy on their home turf against their flagship product was probably not the best strategy to try, at least not right out of the gate :rolleyes:

• @TimeBandit said:

I guess that's what you do when your phone can't do what other phones did 10 years ago. Or when you're stuck with an iPhone.

More than 10 years ago. I used to do this all the time via IR on my [URL=https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Palm_III]Palm III[/URL], although to be fair, you could only beam stuff to other Palm devices.

WRT iPhones, that also works fine. AirDrop works great, but again, only to other Apple devices (iPhones, iPads, Macs, etc.)

More generic BT file sharing has existed for a long time, but it is often tricky to make it work right. I used it to sync my address book between a Motorola RAZR v3 flip-phone and my Mac (via the no-longer-supported iSync app,) but with modern equipment (both phones and computers), it seems to be pretty hit-or-miss.

• @rc4 said:

@Wikipedia said:
    Amazon FireOS is an Android-based mobile operating system

Yes, technically. But because it's a private build from the open-source, it doesn't have access to all the cool (and non-free) stuff that Google develops for those willing to license their version. Amazon was forced to provide their own equivalent features for use in their Fire products.

While Android without access to all of Google's stuff (including the Play Store) is technically still Android, it's really not the same thing.

See also [URL=http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2013/10/googles-iron-grip-on-android-controlling-open-source-by-any-means-necessary/]ArsTechnica: Google’s iron grip on Android: Controlling open source by any means necessary[/URL]

• Windows Phone is basically an iPhone for people who hate Apple. It's just as locked down and dumbed down.

I do miss Windows Mobile, though I understand why the average phone user wouldn't like it.

• Recent upgradee from Windows Phone 7 to Android. Bought a Windows Phone 8 device but the phones are all huge (with relatively small screens for the chassis size, and very uncomfortable shapes to hold) or dreadful and just stretch the exact same content I used to have on a comfortable screen size over a larger screen. Windows Phone 10 didn't look like a good direction at all though they back-pedalled I see.

Windows Phone used to be awesome, but the newer devices I've tried are ergonomic disasters with corners rounded the wrong way digging into your palm and about three times as much chin below the screen as is comfortable.

• :belt_onion:

E_DUMB_PHONE_NOT_FOUND

• BINNED

Their best bet now is to use Cyanogen (that they already own) to get most Android apps to work under emulation (even ChromeOS realized they had to rely on Android), then persuade app developers to compile their apps for some MS JVM to get better performance without emulation.
    The problem with it is that, Apple is going to eat the majority of the smart phone market any ways, there is not enough room even for the likes of Samsung to sell expensive phones. Maybe it is time for MS to start investing on the next wave of technology; maybe wearable or IoT, and win the next battle.

• Fake News

@blakeyrat said:

Everybody who's actually tried Windows Phone 8+ for more than a few seconds likes it.

The people ragging on it are invariably people who either:1) Have never tried it, or2) Have, but can't buy one due to some lazy app developer not porting to it.

Welcome to the hell in which BB10 users live...

• I'm on Android (And have been except for a brief stint during the iPhone 3G/3GS period).

My next phone will probably be a Lumia 950 XL. The platform wasn't there when I got my Note 3, but I think it's to the point where I will switch. Continuum is the added bacon to sweeten the deal.

That... or I'll finally get some sort of Nexus "Pure Android" to get rid of all the Samsung bloat that I don't/won't use.

• @dse said:

Apple is going to eat the majority of the smart phone market any ways

Latest stats (from August 2015) :
    Android : 82.8%
    iOS : 13.9%

Not sure what you call majority

• BINNED

@WernerCD said:

That... or I'll finally get some sort of Nexus "Pure Android" to get rid of all the Samsung bloat that I don't/won't use.

You do not root you phone? that is the first thing I do, and get rid of all the crap

• @WernerCD said:

or I'll finally get some sort of Nexus "Pure Android" to get rid of all the Samsung bloat that I don't/won't use.

I'm on my second Nexus phone and love it.
    Also own a Samsung tablet and I just hate Touch Wiz.

• BINNED

@TimeBandit said:

Not sure what you call majority

Majority of money/profits, because that is all that matters:
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2015-10-08/it-s-apple-s-world-so-why-do-other-smartphone-makers-even-bother-

• @DSE I can't live without root... but that's sort of an issue. Why should I have to remove (and then worry about what it breaks) Samsung versions of everything? Its why my next Android phone (if it's not Windows) will be a Nexus.

Also, Samsung is making it harder to custom Rom. I could on Note 2... but not the 3.

@TimeBandit I don't mind TouchWiz, but I've been using it for years now. The main issue, as mentioned above, is "rom'ability" and Samsung's KNOX crap. I could TDWRP (or whatever it was) on Note 2, but can't on the Note 3. Should be easy on a Nexus.

OOooooor... I'll just go Windows 10 and go back to simply using my phone as a GPS/Web Browser/Texter... My biggest worry with 10 is Google integration (Google Mail and Maps mostly).

I think I'll survive without Random game #8766239468 (although I might miss my favorite Sudoku game).

• BINNED

@WernerCD said:

Also, Samsung is making it harder to custom Rom. I could on Note 2... but not the 3.

That is a shame, did not know. I will not buy a phone I cannot root and change the ROM. Especially knowing how incompetent those companies are, I do not want to be helpless on the next incident of Stagefright. Nexus looks good though.

• That would be the "Push number buttons and talk into the talky part" OS.

It's an upgrade of the previous release, which used a rotary dial, but it still keeps the system requirements comfortably low.

• FoxDev

@TimeBandit said:

I'm on my second Nexus phone and love it.

ditto.

never again shall i be non AOSP

• FoxDev

@dse said:

so the numbers are right, apple does sell massivel, almost criminally overpriced kit!

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

They FINALLY released new high-end phones.

...which are probably only going to be available on one carrier.

@blakeyrat said:

Windows Phone doesn't even have a filesystem.

Well, first of all, that's just not true. It may not expose one to the user, but that's not the same thing.

@blakeyrat said:

Where would the files go? Why would you expect to be able to transfer files to a device without a filesystem?

So if you take a picture with your phone, where does it go? Floating in a small pool of liquefied redstone in the bowels of the phone? If you want to send that picture elsewhere, how do you do it?

@blakeyrat said:

When I had an Android 2.something phone, it didn't have one either. That's normal for smartphones.

That's a fascinating level of ignorance, feigned or otherwise.

• BINNED

@accalia said:

so the numbers are right, apple does sell massivel, almost criminally overpriced kit!

If you think it is criminal, go ahead and sue them that sure could bring down their profit margin. Nope, I do not think so. Their price is 1.5x what it should be, but their brand is what sells it anyways. Also it does not change the fact that there is no room for other manufacturers to breath, and it is even dumber to try entering such market this late.

@aliceif said:

TIZEN_NOT_FOUND

Thank God

That's... actually an apt description IMO.

He's brewing beer now though. Kinda. Still not very good at it though. And he was still really late.

• 🚽 Regular

@WernerCD said:

I think I'll survive without Random game #8766239468 (although I might miss my favorite Sudoku game).

http://puzzles.codeplex.com/ (includes Sudoku, I think)

I can recommend the Linux and Android versions of Simon Tatham's puzzle collection. Windows Phone port shouldn't be too different.

• @DSE It's Palm and Blackberry's world... so why should Apple bother releasing a phone?

Apple is currently a one trick pony (iPods obsolete, tablet as a whole stagnating, no traction in TV, low market cap in Laptop/PCs, etc). One hellofa nice pony - and one that should give them years and years should they start to actually slide in numbers - but still one trick.

Technology companies rise... and fall.

WRT rooting the Notes, I could TWRP the Note 2. You can't on the Note 3, so you have to roll with Safestrap which, correct me if I'm wrong, loads a different rom during load. This allows you to have Roms on phones that you have root, but don't have access to the bootloader. It's not the worst option honestly - it has its benefits like multiple installed versions at the same time - but I'd rather "clean install" instead of having to go round robin like that.

Loss of access to the bootloader is why I won't buy Motorola. Atrix was great, but Atrix 2 locked the bootloader: bricked a phone way back when and couldn't refresh it because of it.

• @Zecc I don't doubt there are multiple Sudoku puzzles available on the Windows Store... but it's not the one I'm used too (with hints, and a layout I "like"). ITS JUST NOT THE SAME TANTRUM

• 🚽 Regular

You mean there's more than one Sudoku game out there? gasp

Seriously though, give the other games a try. I'm specially fond of Range.

• @TimeBandit said:

Windows Phone is like the guy that comes just before the end of the party, and he didn't bring any beer

So...not Tim, right?

@cartman82 said:

So because Android 2 sucked, it's ok for WinPhone and iPhone to suck too?

Well, no. But you have to understand that the :barrier: is not high here. Easy to jump over and pretend you're a better solution.

@Vaire said:

Fast forward to their tepid attempts to enter the phone market, and you wonder if it is the same company being discussed.

Well, I think you have the answer right there: tepid. They really didn't want to be in the phone market at the time they entered, I think. Major player in games and PC, that's our forte, why fight for a share of a phone market already dominated by other players.

It's really interesting to watch corporate reasoning sometimes. After their tepid entry, what do they do but decide that all PC's should look like cellphones--one app at a time, touch interface, no mouse. It's like :WTF:?

@svieira said:

E_DUMB_PHONE_NOT_FOUND

Time to upgrade, maybe? 😉

@dse said:

But look who they're selling to. It's like that commercial about people that don't have to worry about wasting their money.

• Java Dev

I've been playing that set for years now (windows desktop app, linux, android). My only gripe is you can't maximize the windows desktop app version.

@WernerCD said:

WRT rooting the Notes, I could TWRP the Note 2. You can't on the Note 3, so you have to roll with Safestrap which, correct me if I'm wrong, loads a different rom during load. This allows you to have Roms on phones that you have root, but don't have access to the bootloader. It's not the worst option honestly - it has its benefits like multiple installed versions at the same time - but I'd rather "clean install" instead of having to go round robin like that.

Yeah, Safestrap is nice but has an obnoxious tendency to be laggy as belgium. Probably because you're loading a kernel post-boot and all...

@WernerCD said:

Loss of access to the bootloader is why I won't buy Motorola. Atrix was great, but Atrix 2 locked the bootloader: bricked a phone way back when and couldn't refresh it because of it.

FWIW modern Moto phones are pretty easy to get with an unlockable bootloader. The last 3 I've had were unlockable (Nexus 6 because Nexus, Moto X Dev Edition - although the non-verizon ones were unlockable, and Razr M - which had a wonderful bootloader unlock hack.) I think the X and G generally are unlockable too - depends on carrier and all.

• Huh. That's a fascinating smartphone****strong text OS. I've never heard of that smartphone OS before!

• @dse said:

some MS JVM

Yeah, that worked out great last time...

@WernerCD said:

My next phone will probably be a Lumia 950 XL. The platform wasn't there when I got my Note 3, but I think it's to the point where I will switch. Continuum is the added bacon to sweeten the deal.

I'm thinking of getting one too. A bit expensive, but dang, after struggling with an S3 that's by now broken in all ways possible I want to treat myself to something that works.

@FrostCat said:

...which are probably only going to be available on one carrier.

My last carrier deal put me up with an unusable Xperia J and an unusable no-name tablet for a 3,5 year contract at a premium rate, that I'm still paying off despite upgrading both a year ago.

I think I might just buy one with cash...

• SIM-free is the way to go for sure. You'll pay for the device over the lifetime of the contract either way, except it has more resale value because it's not locked to your network (though in the US that's more complicated due to GSM vs CDMA) it probably has less bloatware and if you absolutely hate it, it can go on eBay and be replaced with something else.

• Notification Spam Recipient

@WernerCD said:

Safestrap which, correct me if I'm wrong, loads a different rom during load.

Kinda. It's more like, chroot-ing at a point where it's more-or-less safe to do so and launching the chrooted's init script.
    Better methods (like kexec) would be nice, but for most Samsung devices it's rather difficult to get working correctly.

SafeStrap has actually saved my bacon during a crisis that corrupted my Google Play Services authentication so spectacularly that all the apps agreed that I had a google account, but couldn't access it (due to GPS crashing immediately upon launch ).
    So, I relaunched under a minimal ROM for a while so I could still have a phone (away from the PC for a while at that time) and didn't need to deal with a Factory Reset that may or may not have worked.

Filed under: Rolling backups would be a nice thing to have too, but storage :barrier:...

• @dse said:

LiquidSmooth but Android is as good an answer

Carbon Fibers over hewre, but yeah...

What are you all talking about? Exodus is where it's at!

It's Android on my personal phone but my work phone is a Blackberry. I voted Blackberry as it needed another vote 😆

• @WernerCD said:

, I could TWRP the Note 2. You can't on the Note 3,

What an incredibly blatant bullshit did I just read. I own a Galaxy Note 3, it runs TWRP just well, you can root it and do whatever you want. I run CM12.1 on it, serves me well.

@wft said:

incredibly blatant bullshit did I just read

Don't worry, if the bootloader doesn't get unlocked within the first two weeks of release, it never will. @WernerCD was probably just referencing some old research they (might have) done when it first came out. :P

• Continuing the discussion from Poll: Which smartphone OS do you use?:

@wft said:

@WernerCD said:
    , I could TWRP the Note 2. You can't on the Note 3,

What an incredibly blatant bullshit did I just read. I own a Galaxy Note 3, it runs TWRP just well, you can root it and do whatever you want. I run CM12.1 on it, serves me well.

I may not be the most knowledgeable when it comes to stuff like this, but I'm no slouch...

When I first got my AT&T Note 3, I had troubles rooting it (Had to... Kingo? root it iirc... first few things I tried didn't work). Had TWRP on my Note 2, and it was the first thing I tried. The only thing I found that worked - and most of my research revolves around XDADevelopers and associated forums - was Safestrap. That was 4.3? Then 4.4. Now 5.0. I hadn't seen anything mentioning TWRP working on this version of the phone/android.

Maybe you have a different version (Verizon? TMobile? Sprint? Outside the USA?)? I don't know... but TWRP wasn't an option that I saw when I was looking...

Now the phone has a cracked screen and isn't far from being replaced... I haven't been arsed to look and see if TWRP works, because AFAIK, locked bootloader/KNOX is still blocking my path.

Wait... 5 second search found this: http://galaxynote3root.com/clockworkmodtwrp-recoveries/

For AT&T or Verizon Note 3, you cannot install CWM or TWRP recovery as bootloader is locked. BUT you can install SafeStrap Recovery here!

So... unless you can pull another answer out of your ass (that post might be out of date, but it's basically what I ran into 18 months ago) stop being a rude prick. The "blatant bullshit" is this shit spewing out of your mouth. You might want to stop at Walmart and get some Scope Mouthwash.

@wft said:

Can you still root a 2 if you were foolish enough to let it get Knoxed?

• Don't have a 2, can't tell.

• What kind of Blackberry?

Q5.
    I might see if there's a way to subtly kill it off so I can get a Classic instead.
    Unsurprisingly we don't get perfectly working devices replaced just because we fancy a new one.

• Hey, I thought the Q5 looked nice.

It is - the Classic is just better because it's a decent combination of old school Blackberry devices with the magic scroll button thing and and the newer ones with the better keyboard and touchscreen.

NO DISCOURSE THIS IS NOT SIMILAR TO SOMETHING I POSTED BECAUSE I DID NOT POST IT - YOU SPAT OUT A STUPID ERROR.

@loopback0 said:

NO DISCOURSE THIS IS NOT SIMILAR TO SOMETHING I POSTED BECAUSE I DID NOT POST IT - YOU SPAT OUT A STUPID ERROR.

Error: Try to be more Discoriptive.

• @loopback0 said:

Blackberry

I'm actually kind of intrigued by the Blackberry Venice, in as much as it's claimed it'll run Android apps, and no other fucker is making HW keyboards these days...

[The site is in read only mode. Interactions are disabled. Actually not OK tyvm.]