The Soapy Sedimentality Thread

• @FrostCat said:

But at the end of the season, the Doctor learns that not all propaganda by dirty hippies (that is, that all soldiers are mouthbreathing morons who can't wait to kill helpless civilians) isn't true!

Right; except they also undermine the whole "I was digging wells!" thing in the last two episodes. Because it's impossible to have a character who was a soldier and didn't murder anybody in the UK I guess.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Because it's impossible to have a character who was a soldier and didn't murder anybody in the UK I guess.

Apparently not. Which is funny given how the old show didn't have a stupid hissy fit about guns. How else do you get deathless lines like "Just once I'd like to meet an alien menace that isn't impervious to bullets"? (Brigadier Gordon Alistair Lethbridge-Stewart, probably in Robot).

• Yeah, his catch-phrase was ordering his soldiers to shoot the fuck out of the alien menace of the week. "Five rounds rapid!"

I dunno when the UK started hating the entire concept of possessing a military, but it's always been in Doctor Who since the reboot. (Whenever the evil aliens are on screen they play this ridiculously overwrought army marching sound effect, even if it doesn't match what's on the screen at all. Because marching is evil. I guess.)

I was legit surprised in that episode with the awful spider lady thing, they actually showed the British military being competent and useful. But that was also a fucking awful episode, so it was probably just a screw-up on the writer's part. (Plus there's no way tank main guns can elevate that high. Seriously, guys.)

EDIT: they also show military training being useful in that episode that takes place right before WWI, at the private school that teaches the kids to man a machine gun and it actually turns out to be useful by the end of the episode. But that wasn't the MODERN military so it doesn't count.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@blakeyrat said:

Yeah, his catch-phrase was ordering his soldiers to shoot the fuck out of the alien menace of the week. "Five rounds rapid!"

To be fair, the alien menace of the week was almost always an actual menace, on the old show.

• One time it was a piece of plastic that ate people and then made evil mannequins.

• Isn't the whole shtick of DW "deep down humans are kinda okay but they're trigger happy asshats when left alone"? The new series, at least, haven't watched the old ones yet.

I mean I can't remember anything in particular right now, but I'm pretty sure if you were to count the episodes where the Doctor stops a human from shooting the shit out of an alien, you'll run out of fingers and toes.

Oh, I do actually, the one where Harriet Jones nukes the fuck out of a retreating enemy. That's like DW in a single scene.