Why Continuum could succeed where the Motorola Atrix failed

• kills Dumbledore

Remember the Atrix in 2011? A phone that could plug in to a dock and work like a computer? Probably not, but here's why Microsoft's all-in-one solution might be better

• I remember it!! I remember thinking it was pretty fucking cool, too.

• On one hand, it's pretty cool that you can take, say, Office with you and plug it in wherever you like.

On the other, with how Windows' non-desktop ecosystem looks like now, it's probably going to turn out that except for Microsoft stuff, there simply won't be enough applications to really showcase the possibilities.

• So, all 4 owners of Windows Phone will like it ? :trolleybus:

• Except Android on anything bigger than a tablet (with keyboard and mouse proper) sucks syphillitic camel's balls.

I'm firmly in Android camp, I haven't touched anything Windows with a barge pole for the last 7 years (maybe my next job will require that, oh well, I think I'll just bite the bullet), I try to avoid it when I can, and I still say: Android on desktop sucks.

• I had an Atrix. I liked it a lot. I especially liked the fingerprint scanner that I used in lieu of the other unlock mechanisms (PIN, pattern, password, etc.)

The problem was that it the hardware was unreliable - which appears to be a problem with all of Motorola's smartphones. (My 1st-gen Droid was also flaky). After about a year, the earpiece speaker failed so I could only make phone calls using the spearkerphone or a headset. And, of course, it died after the 1 year warranty period, and my corporate purchasing service wouldn't let me upgrade at a reasonable price until after 2 years.

(To be fair, most brands are pretty flaky. My current Android phone - an LG Optimus, also had to be replaced due to hardware problems. At least this time, it happened within the first year, so it was replaced for free.)

I never bothered trying to dock the Atrix with anything, though. The hardware accessories were insanely expensive and I could never figure out what advantage there would be to using a phone-dock instead of the laptop I've already got on my desk.

• kills Dumbledore

@David_C said:

I especially liked the fingerprint scanner that I used in lieu of the other unlock mechanisms

No, you're mistaken there. Apple invented fingerprint scanning a few years after that. It was magic and revolutionary.

@David_C said:

The problem was that it the hardware was unreliable - which appears to be a problem with all of Motorola's smartphones

My Moto G had an interesting habit of rebooting itself regularly. It also got slow as mole asses after the 5.0 update. My Moto X Play is holding up OK so far

• @wft said:

Except Android on anything bigger than a tablet (with keyboard and mouse proper) sucks syphillitic camel's balls.

When you connected the Atrix to the dock, it switched to a full X display. I think you got your Android display in a window on the desktop. I never owned one, so I don't know how good the implementation was, but the concept was pretty awesome.

• kills Dumbledore

It could still only run Android apps couldn't it? The main problem being that there wasn't even tablet support in Android at the time, so you basically got a fullscreen app designed for a 3" screen blown up to a full monitor size?

• @Jaloopa said:

It could still only run Android apps couldn't it? The main problem being that there wasn't even tablet support in Android at the time, so you basically got a fullscreen app designed for a 3" screen blown up to a full monitor size?

If I remember correctly, it started up a full X server running on the Linux kernel.

• Yes, but, does it run Linux? Oh wait:

• No, no, it still won't be cool until Apple discovers it somewhere around 2020.

Filed under: so far they've figured out how to have their tablets run two apps side by side, so they clearly have the cutting edge

• @Maciejasjmj said:

No, no, it still won't be cool until Apple discoversinvents it somewhere around 2020.

Filed under: so far they've figured out how to have their tablets run two apps side by side, so they clearly have the cutting edge

FTFY

• Oh my, I'll wait until they implement tiled window management proper. Then claim they invented them, complete with full keyboard navigation and shit.

And then i3/Awesome users be like, waddafuq?

• As I shared in "Highs and Lows Part V: Continuum", it is an ideology governing how Microsoft is approaching the transient nature of modern computing. By way of a synergistic OS and hardware combination that can conform to a user's needs, Continuum is an ecosystem-wide platform solution that currently supports hybrid Windows devices and Windows 10 Mobile phones.

This guy isn't a shill for Microsoft's marketing department at all.

• Discourse touched me in a no-no place

@cartman82 said:

This guy isn't a shill for Microsoft's marketing department at all.

To be fair, he's probably making even their heads spin with that much BS marketingese in one place…

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.