Right on target, but fucking stupid



  • Summary: some pranksters call Target, ask to be transferred to extension [some number], which is the intercom. They get transferred, the pipe porn over the loudspeaker / PA.

    Ages old social engineering hack. Wasted opportunity with content delivered. 2/5.



  • IIRC you can do this yourself at Home Depot and Lowe's as they allow you to enter in your own extensions. πŸ˜„



  • Makes me glad our branch PA systems are accessible only via softkey on the phones - no extension assigned! πŸ˜ƒ



  • Fourth time it's happened since April πŸ˜†



  • @redwizard said:

    Makes me glad our branch PA systems are accessible only via softkey on the phones - no extension assigned! πŸ˜ƒ

    Assuming the softkeys aren't just speed-dial to the PA extension... πŸ™Š


  • SockDev

    @Lorne_Kates said:

    @redwizard said:
    Makes me glad our branch PA systems are accessible only via softkey on the phones - no extension assigned! πŸ˜ƒ

    Assuming the softkeys aren't just speed-dial to the PA extension... πŸ™Š

    makes me really glad that the system we had when io was in retail was... "extensions what are they? oh you want to peak to the manager? please hold."

    and then assuming that we didn't forget to put them on hold beofre hanging up: call the PA extension, enter our access code, get access unless someone with a higher access code than ours is on, say message, hang up.



  • @accalia said:

    "extensions what are they? oh you want to peak to the manager? please hold."

    No you dumb idiot, I want to SPEAK with the manager! I demand you transfer me this instant, you worthless hunk of poop! I AM THE CUSTOMER!

    (ah, retail work...)


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @Lorne_Kates said:

    Summary: some pranksters call Target, ask to be transferred to extension [some number], which is the intercom. They get transferred, the pipe porn over the loudspeaker / PA.

    Ages old social engineering hack. Wasted opportunity with content delivered. 2/5.

    They should have went with this:

    If – [06:08..13:23] 13:23
    — Vsauce


  • SockDev

    @Lorne_Kates said:

    @accalia said:
    "extensions what are they? oh you want to peak to the manager? please hold."

    No you dumb idiot, I want to SPEAK with the manager! I demand you transfer me this instant, you worthless hunk of poop! I AM THE CUSTOMER!

    (ah, retail work...)

    "I am sorry that you feel this way, unfortunately in order to connect you with my manager I have to put you on hold in order to connect you. Please hold while i connect you with my manager."

    /me does not wait for a reply, places the person on hold and pages: "Department 45 on line 1, Department 45 you have a call on line 1. Thank you"

    (department 45 being our store's code for "problem customer")


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @accalia said:

    (department 45 being our store's code for "problem customer")

    Oh, you don't mean Housewares? Nobody persons that, so it would sound more natural!


    Filed under: Paging Department 1,0,1,f,4


  • SockDev

    @Tsaukpaetra said:

    @accalia said:
    (department 45 being our store's code for "problem customer")

    Oh, you don't mean Housewares? Nobody persons that, so it would sound more natural!

    housewares was department 54

    loss prevention was department 11

    "OMG THE SKY IS FALLING ALL HANDS ON DECK AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! (but don't let the customers know until we're all in the lifeboats)" was Department 13

    We always paged by department number because that way we could slip in these meta department numbers without anyone noticing.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @accalia said:

    without anyone noticing.
    Sneaky sneaky! πŸ˜‰



  • @accalia said:

    but don't let the customers know

    I was in a WalMart once (insert "once" joke here). They had a poster on the wall, near the PA, that listed actions employees should take in response to various situations, including the PA call.

    They were listed in order of importance and priority, with the wurst of the wurst being on top, with the scariest color code.

    Not listed on top were some of the usual: lost child, shoplifting. Listed in the middle were some worrying one: store under attack / bomb threat (and other actions needing police). Fire. Tornado and other natural disaster.

    But the one right on top-- first thing you see, most important, critical situation that can occur that requires immediate emergency response including all-managers-on-deck-- way more dangerous to the company than ANYTHING else listed:

    Media.

    Yup, if a reporter shows up, you know WalMart's gone done fucked up PR bad times to the huge-max. Tornado? Bombs? Fire? Meh-- worst thing that'll happen is we lose some merch, some employees and some customers. That's all expendable and replicable.

    But fuck all of us if some bad PR threatens even a single decimal point of the shareholders value...



  • Same reason hospitals use Code X instead of actually saying what's going on.

    The problem is the public eventually learns the phrase, like "Code Blue" for example, so the hospitals have to periodically change them. The public has also learned what a "crash cart" is, but I don't work in a hospital anymore so I don't know if they've made up a new phrase for that.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @blakeyrat said:

    Same reason hospitals use Code X instead of actually saying what's going on.

    The problem is the public eventually learns the phrase, like "Code Blue" for example, so the hospitals have to periodically change them. The public has also learned what a "crash cart" is, but I don't work in a hospital anymore so I don't know if they've made up a new phrase for that.

    "Code Brown" = a patient has shit themselves and they need help cleaning it up. Keep that one in mind next time you are in a hospital. You hear it frequently.


  • SockDev

    @blakeyrat said:

    The problem is the public eventually learns the phrase, like "Code Blue" for example, so the hospitals have to periodically change them. The public has also learned what a "crash cart" is, but I don't work in a hospital anymore so I don't know if they've made up a new phrase for that.

    same reason yes, I'm not familliar with the local hospitals enought to know if they operate the same but i do know that the local nursing homes page for doctors that aren't actually at the location for their codes.

    Fore example: 'Paging Doctor Brooking" = "Code Blue" for them



  • The one I remember (and no I won't say the code, in case it's still in use) is the one for "some weirdo stole a baby from the maternity ward".

    Mostly because it happens often enough to need a code word. Jeez.



  • @Polygeekery said:

    You hear it frequently.

    Hopefully you don't hear the brown note frequently.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @blakeyrat said:

    The one I remember (and no I won't say the code, in case it's still in use) is the one for "some weirdo stole a baby from the maternity ward".

    Mostly because it happens often enough to need a code word. Jeez.

    Which is the exact reason that we chose a hospital where such locations are locked down ridiculously tight. Moments after our children were born, they placed a bracelet around their ankles. There was a planned buffer area around all methods of exit, and if you entered it while a bracelet was active it would lock down the entire ward and require multiple people to unlock it (I always imagined it was something like nuclear launch keys). The band that made up the bracelet was also similar to a flat-flex cable and if any of the traces were cut or changed resistance, it would also lock down the entire ward. If any of the bracelets lost communication with the system, it also locked down the ward.

    Pretty impressive security really.

    Oh, and the really cool part: When the brought you child to your room, there was an overhead light that would light up green if the correct baby was in the correct room, and red if they mismatched.



  • @Polygeekery said:

    Which is the exact reason that we chose a hospital where such locations are locked down ridiculously tight. Moments after our children were born, they placed a bracelet around their ankles.

    Directly from birth into prison. Awesome.

    Good way to prepare the kid for life ahead. Infant-sized ankle monitor. I hope they also mixed 5/$1 ramen packets into the formula.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    You laugh, but it is reassuring for your child to be born in to a hospital that has never had a baby abducted.



  • @Polygeekery said:

    You laugh,

    Yes. Yes I do.

    I'm imagining all those babies in the slop line. Stealing a spoon to carve the finishing touches on their shank. "I'm shaking the bush, boss. Changing my diaper."

    Baby prison is very humorous.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    You are a unique one.



  • Imagine a remake of, say, the Shawshank Redemption with the entire cast replaced by infants.

    If you don't find that funny as shit, then there's just no hope for you.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    I admit, I grinned.

    It would bring new meaning to the line: "Andy crawled to freedom through five hundred yards of shit smelling foulness that I can't even imagine"





  • @accalia said:

    Paging Doctor Brooking

    The 5 seconds starting from here have a whole new meaning to me now:
    QueensrΓΏche - Operation: Mindcrime Full Album – [00:17..54:37] 54:37
    — twofoursevenlol



  • @blakeyrat said:

    Imagine a remake of, say, the Shawshank Redemption with the entire cast replaced by infants.

    If you don't find that funny as shit, then there's just no hope for you.

    I can imagine it. But in reality, it'll be a sequel to Baby Geniuses and then fuck you.



  • Statusstrong text Ghostbusters soundtrack >>>> Ghostbusters II soundtrack.



  • My brother worked retail in a DIY store - they'd announce a named employee to 'line 17' or something when it was his break time.



  • @Polygeekery, post:19, topic:51904, full:false said:

    Moments after our children were born, they placed a bracelet around their ankles.

    Hmm yes. I remember that ceremony very well. Nothing high-tech, just plastic with a paper slip. I was curious and in want of reading material, so naturally I immediately looked at it. It was the wrong name.

    True story.

    That was 13 years ago but I well remember the nurse turning pasty white and stammering excuses . . .


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    Well, that could have been horrible...



  • I used to work in a football stadium, and the announcement you absolutely didn't want to hear was "code green". It was the code for a major incident and the next step was evacuation*.

    *of said stadium.



  • @Boner said:

    evacuation

    OF THE BOWELS

    i ignore any subtexts given by *



  • @Polygeekery said:

    Which is the exact reason that we chose a hospital where such locations are locked down ridiculously tight. Moments after our children were born, they placed a bracelet around their ankles. There was a planned buffer area around all methods of exit, and if you entered it while a bracelet was active it would lock down the entire ward and require multiple people to unlock it (I always imagined it was something like nuclear launch keys). The band that made up the bracelet was also similar to a flat-flex cable and if any of the traces were cut or changed resistance, it would also lock down the entire ward. If any of the bracelets lost communication with the system, it also locked down the ward.

    We brought our newborn into such a hospital. He ended up getting some poop on the bracelet and when we asked the nurse the clean it, something went wrong with it and activate the alarm. Even though everyone knew that nothing bad has happened, we were in lockdown for over an hour in the middle of the night with loud beeping going on in the hall. Must've kept the whole floor up.


  • β™Ώ

    @swayde said:

    i ignore any subtexts given by *

    *a frenchman



  • @Polygeekery said:

    You laugh, but it is reassuring for your child to be born in to a hospital that has never had a baby abducted.

    You overlook the obvious possibility: they haven't had one abducted since they installed this system, saying nothing about why they implemented such a paranoid system, like maybe that they had a spate of abductions and abduction-related lawsuits.


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    Yeah, it might have been possible if it were an older hospital. This one was very new though. Only a few years old when we had our first.



  • This discussion makes me thing of the switch-the-babies scene in Good Omens



  • @Polygeekery said:

    Which is the exact reason that we chose a hospital where such locations are locked down ridiculously tight. Moments after our children were born, they placed a bracelet around their ankles. There was a planned buffer area around all methods of exit, and if you entered it while a bracelet was active it would lock down the entire ward and require multiple people to unlock it (I always imagined it was something like nuclear launch keys). The band that made up the bracelet was also similar to a flat-flex cable and if any of the traces were cut or changed resistance, it would also lock down the entire ward. If any of the bracelets lost communication with the system, it also locked down the ward.

    Pretty impressive security really.

    Oh, and the really cool part: When the brought you child to your room, there was an overhead light that would light up green if the correct baby was in the correct room, and red if they mismatched.

    Holy shit, what hospital was this? I need to put them on my short list for the future =__=


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    @Vaire said:

    Holy shit, what hospital was this? I need to put them on my short list for the future =__=

    Roughly what part of the US are you in?



  • West Coast


  • Grade A Premium Asshole

    Too far for you then. I live in the Midwest.

    NFC who sells the system. It did not have any branding or anything on it.



  • @Polygeekery said:

    @blakeyrat said:
    Same reason hospitals use Code X instead of actually saying what's going on.

    The problem is the public eventually learns the phrase, like "Code Blue" for example, so the hospitals have to periodically change them. The public has also learned what a "crash cart" is, but I don't work in a hospital anymore so I don't know if they've made up a new phrase for that.

    "Code Brown" = a patient has shit themselves and they need help cleaning it up. Keep that one in mind next time you are in a hospital. You hear it frequently.

    When I was in the hospital a couple of years ago I noticed that they were announcing "Code Purple" quite frequently. I asked a nurse and she said it was the code for an unruly visitor. undefined

    They also had a doctor with the last name of "Dakters" (pronounced like "doctors"). I always found it humorous when they were paging "Doctor Dakters"



  • @Polygeekery said:

    Too far for you then. I live in the Midwest.

    >___<



  • That means your kid is SURE to get stolen.

    Because your area lacks prisopitals.

    Get it? I combined "prison" and "hospital". It's hilarious.



  • @blakeyrat said:

    That means your kid is SURE to get stolen.

    Because your area lacks prisopitals.

    Get it? I combined "prison" and "hospital". It's hilarious.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    As opposed to Hostisons?

    Just in case, Prisospital seems to be the more angicly correct form...


    Filed under: Did I pedant that right?



  • Your entire nation is one great big jail, of course. With random executioners.


  • Impossible Mission Players - A

    @Matt_Westwood said:

    random executioners.

    Technically not random, there are statistics somewhere!


    Filed under: One moment while I search this.Buttocks


Log in to reply
 

Looks like your connection to What the Daily WTF? was lost, please wait while we try to reconnect.