The data you don't need

• ♿ (Parody)

@Eldelshell said:

And the stairs on the train station... Is like ascending from hell.

I never saw that coming.

@Eldelshell said:

smoke+coffee x3...smoke+coffee

• @ScholRLEA said:

Adult onset for Type I is quite rare, isn't it? IIUC, it usually indicates some sort of damage to the pancreas due to some outside force, or possibly an autoimmune condition. Am I right in that understanding?

Yeah, they assume it's my immune system because they found antibodies. Adult onset may be rare. At least it would somewhat explain why the first doctor I went to diagnosed me as type 2 :wtf: and only the pharmacist I went to after to get my (wrong) medication said "you don't look me a type 2" (I was loosing weight at a fast rate). He went to the back to call the doctor and tear him a new one 😆 good pharmacist. (He didn't tell me, I pieced it together from what I learned after.)

@ScholRLEA said:

Still, it was mysterious enough that the VA didn't dismiss the claim out of hand.

We still have only a very nebulous understanding of how our immune system works. So far most of the dismissing happens to the models that try to explain the badass 😄 The idea that residual defoliants could trigger type 2 may be very arbitrary but so are all the other theories to some extent.

@ScholRLEA said:

While he was meticulous in tracking his blood sugar and insulin usage, the same can't be said about watching his diet. The fact that he lost a lot of weight when he first developed symptoms I think convinced him it wasn't entirely a bad thing, a delusion which you would think the frequent blackouts and trips to the hospital would have cured, but since he also had Narcissistic Personality Disorder in spades, convincing him he was wrong about anything was shovelling sand against the tide. He was convinced he could eat whatever he wanted as long as he 'balanced' it with enough insulin, which resulted in his sugar curve veering wildly hour by hour most days. It wasn't what killed him in the end - heart disease, which he knew about but never told anyone about or did anything to correct, did - but it surely contributed to it.

The weirdest thing to me was having to repeatedly affirm to the doctors and therapists that I do indeed understand that I have this condition. :wtf: I was wasting away before I got on insulin, what's there to misunderstand? Only after hearing stories about Diabetes did I realize that a lot of people do not accept the whole of it, and come up with all sorts of rationalizations about why they don't need to change.

I do have the hope that with modern therapies I can eat as I used to with minor adjustements. But as I write this I realize that I've actually given up on a lot of things I used to consume in quantities. So no, I've already adjusted a lot, and more's to go as my natural insulin dwindles.

• @locallunatic said:

Sounds like you are doing a mix of insulin types using a lean toward the longer acting stuff (or rather this sounds like considerations I was having back when doing Humalog, Novolog, and Lantis mixes rather than a pump) correct?

Yes. Currently I got a very long-acting one as a base because I couldn't get the faster ones applied regularly with my irregular sleeping schedule. At some point I'm sure I'll grow tired of the constant guessing and get a pump. No point in hurrying though, I'll have to get used to the idea of this attachement.

• I did something like that for years. Though you can't vary basal load by time of day like you can with a pump so if you start looking at doing that is really when they start to be interesting (if you do, hope you don't like swimming).

• @locallunatic said:

(if you do, hope you don't like swimming)

:sadface:

I'll get the pump