Acer's website

• [url=http://global.acer.com/products/tablet_pc/index.htm]http://global.acer.com/products/tablet_pc/index.htm[/url]

Acer seems to have some problems with programming websites, click on the 'more info' that's the only one I've clicked on so far and it opens frontpage and downloads the CSS for the page to it. Nice, now I have their 'more information' which is useless to me. Acers page also take forever to load.

• Looks like a MIME-type issue, except that it's not doing it for me in Firefox (of course I don't have FrontPage installed)

meta tags: 

Content-type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1
    Generator: Microsoft FrontPage 4.0
    Description: This is the description of this page
    keywords: Acer, Template, WebVI

Still sloppy, but not a WTF.

• also if you check the 'virtual tour' it gives a page not found error.

The whole site is just riddled with errors.

• just don't buy Acer products, eh?

• But I wan't a cheap Tablet PC that I can use. I intend to install linux on it and not use windows but I cannot find a laptop without an OS, much less a Tablet. I really don't care about the pen, I just want to be able to flip it over and read it like a book. I think it would make up for $1000 in about a year or so with the amount I spend on books that I can just download.

• :)  WTF is "wan't"  ??   an abbreviated wasn't?  hehehehee..  I sure hope you wasn't a cheap laptop, just your spellchecked deserves a refund.

• My bad, I don't know why but I always try to put a apostrophe in want for some reason, usually I catch it. It's a recent thing too, I didn't used to do it. The only reason I miss IE is for IEspell, is there a FireFox version of that? An online spellchecker, checks all textboxs and/or forums.

• @malfist said:

My bad, I don't know why but I always try to put a apostrophe in want for some reason, usually I catch it. It's a recent thing too, I didn't used to do it. The only reason I miss IE is for IEspell, is there a FireFox version of that? An online spellchecker, checks all textboxs and/or forums.

Firefox 2 has that built in, for versions 1.x there are plugins/extensions.

• I have a fully updated version of Firefox on this Ubuntu PC and it has no such thing. I'll look for a plug in.

• I have a fully updated version of Firefox on this Ubuntu PC, and it damn well does have such a thing.

Edit->Preferences..., Advanced, General, and make sure you didn't uncheck the "Check spelling as I type" box. If that is checked, try right-clicking on a text area and make sure "Spell check this field" is checked. If it is, check that you actually have some dictionaries installed (right click on text area -> Dictionaries).

• @malfist said:

I have a fully updated version of Firefox on this Ubuntu PC and it has no such thing. I'll look for a plug in.

Be careful here, updates are generally to the app version that originally shipped with the distribution. If you're using Ubuntu 6.6 LTS then Firefox 1.5 should have been installed originally. Consequently the update manager will only look for updates to that branch. The updater won't download and install a different branch, i.e. Firefox 2.0 -- it's considered a different application.

The latest Ubuntu release, of course, ships with Firefox 2 and also mentions spell checking as a feature:

http://www.ubuntu.com/download/releasenotes/610#head-4177d7a2aba273d9411d7cbb9765ec72fb16fd2e

• ASpellFox extension for firefox 1.5, and be sure your system has aspell and dictionaries (it probably does). But for some reason it's not working on this forum in any case.

• @malfist said:

But I wan't a cheap Tablet PC that I can use. I intend to install linux on it and not use windows but I cannot find a laptop without an OS, much less a Tablet. I really don't care about the pen, I just want to be able to flip it over and read it like a book. I think it would make up for $1000 in about a year or so with the amount I spend on books that I can just download.

I really like my Gateway tablet. I don't know how nicely it would accept a linux install but I don't see anything to make me think it wouldn't.